Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » No heads on the reels (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No heads on the reels
Matthew Shearer
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 07:34 PM      Profile for Matthew Shearer   Email Matthew Shearer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just got the movie No Country For Old Men...yes just got it, and with no heads we're a little lost. Someone had told me earlier that there were pictures of the reel heads on this site but I am un able to find them. Any help is appreciated. -Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-28-2008 08:35 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be over on the left under reel ID, but it's not listed.
Are the tails intacted? I've had some fools rewind the heads & tails together on to the reels. Trying to save time. They could be on the inside of the reel.

Call TES 1800-99-films

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-28-2008 10:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TES will fax you a copy of the heads of the reels.

Todd Shelskt
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 10:13 PM      Profile for Todd Shelskt   Email Todd Shelskt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a sub-run theater in Connecticut and had a couple of problems with missing leaders OR leaders cut to the black instead of leaving a frame. It really aggravates me. It's such a SIMPLE THING to add or remove leaders! Thankfully, over the last few months I've gotten decent prints, expertly handled!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-29-2008 12:49 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Determining reel number by reading DTS timecode on 35mm film

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-29-2008 01:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to being overworked in general, the ID warehouse hasn't been updated in some time. We do have most of the releases archived, but not on the server yet.

In the meantime did you receive no leaders at all??? Or did you just receive leaders without an ID frame? If the latter, just match up the printed numbers on the edges of the film printed every 10 feet or so in the SDDS audio track and you have your positive identification. Here is an example of what I mean (look at the bottom edge and you will see the numbers)......

-

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2008 04:34 AM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably too late but Technicolor has ID frames on their website.

http://www.technicolor.com/Cultures/En-Us/TheatricalDistribution/CheckFrames

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2008 05:10 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Determining reel number by reading DTS timecode on 35mm film:

That's pretty neat -- The bit patterns read left to right instead of R-L as we bit weenies tend to do. Thanks Daryl.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-29-2008 04:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
In the meantime did you receive no leaders at all??? Or did you just receive leaders without an ID frame?
They received a print with no heads or tails except for the head on R1. Their fax machine sucks- all that you could see in the pictures in the fax were basically blurry gray strips instead of clear pictures of the images to use to match.

They have called TES and are getting a replacement print today anyway, as this one is horribly scratched.

-Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-29-2008 07:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious as to how that got past their inspection people. It must've been a direct circuit...and if so, why have they not been outed yet?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-01-2008 07:20 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get 'em occasionally from TES and the others too with no tails or heads, I believe the only check the make is a reel count, and I've received the incorrect reel count twice.

[ 03-01-2008, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-02-2008 04:38 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless it's changed since April of 2007 when I last talked to them about it, TES's Quality Check process (formerly known as IC, or Integrity Check) continues to look at outside (i.e. head or tail, whatever is "out") of every reel before it is shipped.

There should be a handwritten sticker on the outside of the can with the date of the inspection.

--jhawk

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-02-2008 10:59 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This guy may have gotten a circuited print...he doesn't say.

FWIW I've gotten prints directly from TES that have no leaders, or they're wrapped around the hubs. Maybe just once or twice, but it has happened...I do think their practices have improved in the past three years or so.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-02-2008 09:46 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you get prints from TES with no leaders, you should call them and ask what happened. What do you mean by "wrapped around the hubs?"

--jhawk

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2008 06:47 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I have received sever prints recently with both the head and tail leaders taped to the center of the reel and the feature attached on top of it. The head of the feature reel becomes VERY dirty and scratched so that it must be discarded.

Often the leaders are not for the reel that was wound on top of them. This makes building the show a bit tough but the scratches make a replacement print necessary anyway.

I think that this technique saves at least 30 or more seconds for the theater that packed it up last although it destroyed the print for all future exhibition.

KEN [Mad]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: