Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Still Double Inventory-ing Cyan & Magenta?

Author Topic: Still Double Inventory-ing Cyan & Magenta?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-27-2008 06:11 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ran a print of THE GREAT DEBATERS (#02028). Analog track was magenta. I thought by now everything was coming out cyan with magenta phased out quite awhile ago, no? Looking in the Feature Info & Trailers forum, Scott said his print was cyan. Why would they still be making magenta AND cyan prints? Isn't double inventory an idea that makes the studio suits' heads explode?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-27-2008 06:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not all labs are printing cyan- I have handled several prints with a mix of HM and cyan tracks, and the reels were struck at different labs...

-Aaron

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-27-2008 06:53 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, the trailers I make are all still High Magenta.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-28-2008 05:25 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, does the lab charge you more for HM prints? Would needing to redevelope and the need for silver and the higher rate of rejected prints because of the redeveloper errors, would that make a high magenta print cost more? Or isn't it enough to make any real difference.

Or do you specifically want magenta for some reason?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-28-2008 07:36 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I've thought about switching to cyan dye, but never really asked about the particulars. It could be that my account has been set up that way from day one, and they just run me on those lines - and will continue to do so until it's no longer an option. Since I am such small potatoes, I don't think there's enough of a break in price to make a difference. They're still going to charge me a percentage for overage, leader and such.

Secondly, I can't help but imagine some drive-in out there in the sticks that's still running exciter lamps... [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-28-2008 10:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, You haven't gone "Green" yet to help save the earth...er ah I mean cyan????

Mark

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 04:10 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Aaron mentions above, we've had several prints come through with some reels in HM and others in Cyan. Sony seems to be remaining holdout. We still see some HM prints from them (even when a single reel may be cyan), but almost every other studio print is coming in as cyan.

The last batch of Dolby Digital trailers that came in were also cyan.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-28-2008 04:25 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran something quite recently, within the last six months or so, which was a recent release, and was printed with a conventional, i.e. magenta+cyan+silver track. I can't remember what the film was now, but I remember thinking at the time that it was unusual.

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 01:08 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC's snipes (coming soon, silence is golden & feature presentation) are magneta.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 06:59 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In many cases you would need to re-record your sound track negative for cyan. I recently did some copies from some twenty five year old negatives and that was one of the options...so we polluted the earth a little more [Smile]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 10:49 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a few of the recent prints from Technicolor that I have previewed. They have written High Magenta on the head leaders and the print is cyan. So always round into the print and not take what the lab printed on the leader.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-22-2008 11:22 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid question: do density tracks work when printed as cyan? Or will they always be silver (or re-recorded as area tracks)?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 05:22 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that no VD track recordings hace been recorded for something like 40 years, none of the existing negatives would have been made for cyan printing. I still don't really understand why differences in negatives are required for different printing systems, can somebody please explain? I know it's something to do with cross-mod, and I beliece the equivilent on VD tracks would be inter-mod, but the precise details of optical sound recording are not my strong point. Given that the silver in a conventional track blocks white light, and infra-red, and that the dye in a cyan track blocks red light, why doesn't the area of dye, or silver, at any point on the track need to be the same in both cases.

Two colour Cinecolor prints had a track which was quite similar in colour to a modern cyan one, and at least some of these were VD. These tracks played with conventional exciter lamps and photocells. I was told that the blue-green image, and therefore the track, was produced by toning with a compound which happened to absorb strongly in the infra-red, but I don't know the details.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: