Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A few Christie P-35-c questions?

Author Topic: A few Christie P-35-c questions?
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 09:55 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For reference below is a picture of my P35C in question.

Silly question. why is my machine white verses the bluish green.
Does this designate a certain model?

I have read Marks thread on the new belt and pulley kit. Does my machine qualify for this. I thought I read I would need to change the shutter assembly..is this available for my projector?
Any clarification on this is appreciated. What are the benefits to this update?
My projector does not see the daily grind in a theater, it is used for private screening so the need for this update may not be
as beneficial but Im always interested in hot rodding my machine where ever possible.

Im also intrigued with the new model and its 1 blade shutter. That reminds me..can I add a 3 blade shutter to my Christie..are they avail?

Sorry for all the questions:)

PS: I probably should have posted a picture of the backside. If that is needed please let me know.

-

|  IP: Logged

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 01:28 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alan Gouger
I have read Marks thread on the new belt and pulley kit. Does my machine qualify for this?
Unlike other members of this forum, I am not familiar with your model. In order for me to tell you, I would need a picture of the pulley/belt side.

What are the benefits to this update?
The number one benefit would be minimizing mechanical jitter in the soundhead to be able to accomplish a better digital reading (only applicable to basement readers). As far as I can tell from the picture, you only have an analog reader. [Confused]

My projector does not see the daily grind in a theater, it is used for private screening so the need for this update may not be as beneficial but Im always interested in hot rodding my machine where ever possible.
The people who would benefit the most from this upgrade (without going into the price vs. free upgrade debate) are multichain operators. Provided you have a basement digital reader, and the upgrade works on your model, I would upgrade, but it is certainly not necessary.

Andrés

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 03:06 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the back side!

-

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 03:21 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be putting my foot in my mouth and be totally wrong but I will hazard a guess...

I do not believe you can use the upgrade on this machine as it uses a different belt/pulley system and a reversing gear as opposed to the P35-GP (GP=Gearless Projector)which does not have the reversing gear. Do not take my work on it though as I really do not know for certain just guessing.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 03:33 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the upgrade will not fit your projector. BTW do you have a basement reader?

Andrés

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2008 03:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any projectors that have a shutter gear box can be modified but its quite difficul... not be easily modified to the current belt path. There is lots of re-machining of the main center plate and new parts such as the Jackshaft and Shutter Driver needed. There is a later model P-35C that uses the belt drive shutter and it can definately be modified for the new belt path and you get rid of the noisy reversing gear as well. Its less complicated to modify but you still need to accurately drill and counterbore two holes for new mounting studs with idler pulleys. It also requires a new motor mount casting... the one that bolts inside the machine. I can post pics of a before and after modified P-35C tonight if anyone desires.

Mark

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andres I am only running analog, reverse scan LED.

On the upgrade "O well"
The machine exceeds my needs anyway but I probably still would have done the upgrade to stay current if it were possible.

Anyone know if a 3 blade shutter can be put in this one?

Thanks again.

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 10:37 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,

Your projector is 'AMC' beige, done to match their consoles at the time. No there is no 3-blade shutter for any Christie projector, the single blade is a significant improvement in flicker though. There will soon be a wide selection of 35mm heads available for upgrading your theatre for less than the cost of converting this machine....less than the cost of spare parts for that matter.

bw

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 07:34 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I can post pics of a before and after modified P-35C tonight if anyone desires.
I´d love to see those pictures, Mark.
Thanks,

Andrés

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-28-2008 08:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bevan Wright
less than the cost of spare parts for that matter.

Yes.... at Scrap Yard Value for the metal to be exact!

Andres, I will post them as soon as I can find them. I actually looked last night on my drives for them... too many pictures(thousands)... too many places to store them! I am consolidating them all in one place though as time permits.

Heres a picture of the first one I converted.... found on my "I" Drive... You can see the black verticle mount just to the right of the intermittent flywheel where the reversing gear used to be...

-

Mark

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 09:35 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Great picture. Perfect to appreciate the conversion. The only other time I´ve seen a projector cleaner than the one in your pic, is when I uncrate them coming straight from the factory!! [Wink] [thumbsup]

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 09:42 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it does look very clean,the design is less cluttered.

Thx.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-01-2008 01:33 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marko - have you modifyed that 35-C for round tooth belt usage yet, for this looks like when square tooths were still the norm.

Definitely an excellent conversion! Wonder if a conversion like this can be made with the old CHR 35 units with the single lens, butterfly shutter and flat trap and gate assemblies...I know of one that is getting rather on the tired side.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-01-2008 10:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

It could be done but is certainly NOT WORTH the price the parts will cost. Lets face it an old straight gate P-35 has a street worth of about 50 bucks.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: