Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Osram Xenon Packaging

Author Topic: Osram Xenon Packaging
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2008 06:45 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received a new spare 2K Osram xenon . I was surprised at the the change in packaging, I guess most were familiar with the bulb encased in the hard plastic container which was then in a box which was then in a larger foam filled box.

The xenon now comes in one box with foam and the bulb has a small piece of cloth taped over it.

-

I am sure this packaging is fine for transport however there is not much to safe guard the bulb during handling.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-25-2008 07:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This wrap isn't bad, but nothing like the hard plastic clamshell that they used to have....(why christie still uses clamshell containment containers)

I've destroyed a few bulbs that came in these plastic woven wraps and is definitely not impressed since the wrap does contains the shards of quartz, the ends still go everywhere they want to.

Plus, the velcro end ties are just not the answer to contain any force put upon them.

I hate to see a 6k bulb explode in one of these wraps...

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2008 12:22 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil, Osram have had this pakaging for some time now,I find it good and it is tough as have destroyed several lamps including 4k 5k and 7k without any glass flying out or remainig in the fabric and when done up tight dont have any bits flying out the ends.The lamp and other bits remain inside.
Cheers from the eastern states,
Steve

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2008 09:02 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If handling is what troubles you, you can always keep 3 or 4 old plastic cases on hand to use when handling new bulbs. [thumbsup]

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2008 05:58 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ORC lamps we used years ago came wrapped in a thick clear plastic/rubbery saran wrap like material that was tied with shoestrings - definitely strong enough to contain the destruction of a lamp. I wonder why the change.

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 10:40 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Caught on video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpD8SWzKFM&feature=related

Ouch.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 12:31 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude just got a few more piercings. [Razz]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2008 03:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Zylstra
definitely strong enough to contain the destruction of a lamp. I wonder why the change.

..this pvc wrap nonsense wasn't "dummy proof" enough. Typical ORC/Perkin-Elmer procedure.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 11:20 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the shoelaces were definitely not dummy proof - but we destroyed them inside the shipping box they came in as an extra layer of containment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: