Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP500 Weird problem

Author Topic: CP500 Weird problem
Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2008 05:20 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there,

Just a curiosity, I have this CP500 Processor and has been working perfectly for the past 8 years, all a sudden this year it has gone crazy? yea i think i will say that since the cards start to have this clipping sound and all the functions wont work the only option left was to bypass.

I have checked all the cards, they seem to be okay, the wiring from the reader to the processor is still good, the wiring from the processor to amplifier is also okay. I did add an additional ground cable and the problem went away for about 9 hours or so. Any ideas?

Also the reader is aligned, just had it serviced about 2 months ago.

Your help and advice is much appreciated.

Regards
Danial Simmonds

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-23-2008 07:04 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The early manuals do not mention to add a ground from the chassis to one of the "-" terminals on the output. Try this. (We were the first to tell Dolby what they did wrong.) Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-23-2008 08:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the power supply...? They're not the more reliable part of the 500, I've replaced a fair number of them over the years.. Also check the Molex connectors to the power supply to see if they look burn't.

Mark

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2008 09:48 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings all. I'm also using the same model CP500 at the Gaslamp 15 for all 15 projectors. All of the processors work great, but, I don't turn off three of them because, when they are turned off, it takes like 40 minutes for the processors to fully re-boot when powered up. So, I leave those three on all night. Any ideas as to why this is happening? And, what's the corrective action to resolve this problem? Much thanks for any advice.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad

it's almost certainly the psu.

Do the checks that Mark describes above. Had it myself in the past and a similar problem on a DA20.
Fitted replacement psu's sorted the problem out.

Regards.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2008 11:04 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ken. I'll check the PSU's. [Big Grin]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-23-2008 01:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Backplanes for the units go bad as well. I've replaced 4 of them while in my tenure with Edwards Cinemas.

...Front door panels go goofy also - I replaced two of them.

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2008 03:56 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi thanks Mr. Louisfor your reply we did add an extra ground cable from the case of the CP500 processor about last week and it was stable from then onwards, I hope that solves the problem but it just came across my mind how could that machine be working in good condition for the pass 8 years or so.

The power supply is a new one, we bought few of the last stocks that we could get our hands on in Asia for safekeeping. Dolby should keep on selling the parts they are many cinemas using this processor.

Muhammad Husni
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2008 03:57 AM      Profile for Muhammad Husni   Email Muhammad Husni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,
I also have experienced exactly the same situation as Danial's
as he is my colleague and it still give me a headache as it still happen even after servicing. All of the small LED at the cards started to blink a few times and then it jump to Bypass mode, AGAIN..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: