Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Please identify this roller.

Author Topic: Please identify this roller.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I grabbed this cap from Amandas Westrex tower thread.
Im running a double mutt behind my projector and I removed the payout arm from the top of my projector and added a custom roller.
I would love to put the arm back on allowing me to screen 20,000 footers once in a while at the same that roller would allow me the duel purpose of using my mutt when needed. What type of removable roller is that on the spindle.

Thank you!!

-

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2008 09:13 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would one of the large Kelmar rollers with the ball bearings work there?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-21-2008 09:34 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, in situations such as this, I always mount either a Potts roller arm to the top of a magazine spider -- or use a Kelmar reel arm WITH the platter roller attachment stud on top -- and set it up so I can run reels or platter/dbl.mut. with little or no conversion time. If you're running 20-min. reels, then it's very easy to position and adj. a Potts roller up high enough, so that no matter where it's aimed, it clears a 20-min. reel.

FWIW, the adjustable rollers for the Kelmar reel arms had a stop built in, so all you had to do was loosen one Allen socket screw and swing the roller out of the way when you wanted to run reels. Swing the roller ass'y. back to the stop and snug the Allen screw and it's already set and aligned for film transport use.

I don't know that I would trust that roller in the picture, since there doesn't appear to be a keeper on it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-21-2008 11:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen similar rollers in use with 70mm equipment. The roller is ball bearing mounted and that in turn fits over the reel spindle. They always worked... I always wondered who made em too!

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-22-2008 12:15 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Commonly they are the ones from cinemecanica and they slide right over the 1/2" spindle

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 03:54 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
I don't know that I would trust that roller in the picture, since there doesn't appear to be a keeper on it.
The picture was from my old cinema. I can assure you Tim, that there was a keeper on the spindles for the ball race rollers. The rollers could easily be removed for 2k or 6k spools on changeovers!

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 10:01 AM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made my own using a standard guidance roller and fitting a 5/16" aluminum tube into it with ball bearings.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-22-2008 11:44 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Bernard. I was referring to a keeper for the film, so it doesn't hop off the roller. [Smile]

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 12:47 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now see what you mean Tim, sorry. The rollers had quite a large flange so it was impossible for the film to drop off. I even tried bouncing the film by switching off the Tower on the trial runs. A distributor kindly loaned me an old print to perfect the installation, projector ramp-up speed etc.

BTW, I don't really know the make of the rollers, these were given to me by the engineer who helped me and gave advice with the installation of the Westrex Tower.

Perhaps the white roller from a Cinemeccanica projector as shown would be suitable providing it had a 5/16" hole for Alan.
 -

[ 02-22-2008, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Bernard Tonks ]

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 01:03 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of good ideas. I would need this to fit a 5/16" shaft and be removable. To bad something like this is not readily avail. Gordon Bachlund had a good idea. I wonder if the PTR rollers fit directly to 5/16 shaft? I could add deeper flanges easy enough. Tim your idea is a good work around as well.
Ill figure something out, I just did not want to go the long way around "DIY" if this was something commonly for sale.

Thanks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: