Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Proper Milliamp setting for Kelmar LED reader.

Author Topic: Proper Milliamp setting for Kelmar LED reader.
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2008 07:18 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Kelmar (sorry, not sure of part #) that was originally bought as a Infrared Reverse Scan Reader. I then purchased the visible light LED to upgrade it.

What is the proper Milliampere setting for this LED?
It use's the black Kelmar power supply.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-20-2008 08:27 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I'll try to answer both your questions.

There is no ideal current on the LED. The lower the better as long as you can get it to Dolby level or in this case Kintek level.

Kintek uses the DC component the solar cell produces to simulate Dolby level so the general idea is to raise the LED current until you the cal is in range. All brands of Red readers were designed to be DC coupled to accommodate Kintek and of course they've been out of business for years.

Don't overlook the importance of getting the LED to give you peak level before turning up the LED current. Run a tone loop and move the LED bracket up and down to find the loudest signal.

This will get you started.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2008 03:03 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Sam.
I'll redo all the LED alignment again.

Question, which way is the correct way for the Kelmar reader to be installed. It's not clear in the instructions. Meaning, should the wiring connections to the preamp be closest to the threading side of the sound head or not? Or does it matter?
Thanks.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-21-2008 04:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Set the cal. levels on the solor cell preamp to near maximum and then use the voltage adjust pot in the Kelmar power supply unit to lower the voltage back down to Cal level. Touch up the higher level channel to match the other channel then slightly tweek the power supply up or down again as necessary so both are at the cal. level. This will place the LED at the lowest possible operating current for your particuluar system and greatly extend the life of the LED.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-21-2008 05:13 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wiring terminal should be toward you and the open door. I don't think it will fit the other way. If it did you could simply reverse left for right; in this system it does not matter since it is a "mono with surrounds" system.

(Plenty of Dolby Digital systems on E-bay.) Louis

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2008 07:16 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

Mark, I'll give that a whirl.

Louis, fyi both of these were purchased from you several years ago. I'm pretty sure that when the lense of the reader was installed, it was attempted to install it with the wiring terminal on the door side, and the door hit it when closed, so it was turned around the other way purly for phyiscal fit reasons, since it sure is not obvious, which end is up. [Big Grin]

As far as proper A chain alignment goes, does it "matter" which way it is installed.

Thanks, the help is appreciated. [thumbsup]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-21-2008 09:07 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you rotate it, reverse the l & r so that the channels make sense. I seem to recall this has stereo surrounds with "bleed" from left & right, so it does matter. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-21-2008 10:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, report back with your results...I'm interested to see if you get the CAL LED to light up.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 05:06 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will do. Thanks everyone!

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 08:35 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what its worth I was able to get CAL/BAL on our Kintek 2010's and 700 with the BACP LEDs and still had the static sound in the audio (refering to the other thread).

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-23-2008 07:05 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a "fully loaded" CP-65 on Ebay right now. The Kintek is garbage (film done wrong.) Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: