Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP65 -- Format 05 does not work

Author Topic: CP65 -- Format 05 does not work
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2008 09:15 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DA20 connected to a CP65. The show starts in Format 10, but will not revert to optical when no digital is present. The CP65 does not have SR cards installed. I have been scratching my head for the longest time over this problem, and then I realized that the DA20 is probably trying to pulse Format 05, not 04, when reverting, and since there are no SR cards, you cannot select Format 05 on the CP65.

With this logic in mind, I continued troubleshooting by pulling a 222SR/A card out of a neighboring CP500. (I do not have another CP65 in this building.) Format 05 still does not work. Why can I not select Format 05 on the CP65 if it has a 222SR/A card installed? Is there some difference in older CP65s that only allows them to use a pair of 300/350 cards for SR decoding, and not a 222SR/A card?

For now, is there a way to get the DA20 to pulse Format 04 instead of Format 05 upon reversion, other than building a custom DB25 cable to go from the DA20 Sense/Control to the CP65 Automation connector?

|  IP: Logged

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2008 09:27 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently fitted a cat 222 sra card to an early CP65. However for this to work you need to fit a cat 565 card onto the back plane of the CP65 and attach three wires.
A simple 10 minute job and you then have SR on format 5.

The later, Rev 3 onwards, CP65 board do not need this modification.
The cat 565 is still available from Dolby and is reasonably priced.

I can send you a copy of the installation sheets for the cat 222 sra and cat 565 if you like.

Regards.

Note: Just sent an email and copy of the manual to Brad so it may appear in the manual section soon.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-19-2008 09:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cat. 222 SR/A manual is already in the manuals section. It has the information on which serial number CP65 backplanes will work with the cat. 222 SR/A without needing the modification that Ken describes.

If you need cat. 350s or cat. 300s, look on Ebay for Dolby 363 units. These are outboard NR units that usually go for about $500 with the cards inside. Just don't get one with cat. 450 (A-type only) cards.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2008 09:56 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Scott.

I looked but could not see the manual. It's the same one I've got.

Unfortunately the only way to use a Cat 222 SRA with the rev 1 & 2 CP65 is with the modification. This is from Dolby themselves. I'm sure you could hack the CP65 to do it but the time and risk involved may it not worth while unless you know exactly what you are doing.

The Cat 565 card will detect which cards you have installled and favour the 300/350 over the Cat 222 sra if both are installed, or the Cat 222 sra if installed on it's own.

Regards.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2008 09:57 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help, gentlemen. Yup. I've got a Revision 2 backplane. How fun for me. I'm not trying to leave this Cat 222SR/A installed; I was just moving it over to see if the DA20 would then revert to 05. I will see about obtaining a set of 350 cards or a 222SR/A with the 565.

So back to my original problem of making the DA20 revert to 04 instead of 05.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-19-2008 10:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make your own interface cable to the automation socket and put the default to 04 instead of 05

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-19-2008 01:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a quick thought: the DTS interface board has a jumper setting to select the preferred format for optical faulting. Does anyone remember if this setting applies to a DA20 that is also connected, or is it just for DTS? If it does apply to the DA20, maybe you could just get one of the DTS boards and set the jumper to 04?

On the other hand, it's probably easier and faster just to make up a new cable for the DA20.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: