Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ORC 1000 Automation Wiring (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ORC 1000 Automation Wiring
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2008 12:48 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyway to wire up an ORC 1000 to light on an automated system? There's nothing in the manual about it.

|  IP: Logged

Al Biers
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2008 08:43 PM      Profile for Al Biers   Email Al Biers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, on the left side of the lamp there was a small amphenol plug with a jumper in it, remove jumper and wire lamp on-off thru there.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2008 10:47 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Al,

was this on the inside of the lamp at TB1 or is this on the outside?

Thanks

Bernie

Al Biers
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2008 09:33 PM      Profile for Al Biers   Email Al Biers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the lamps that I worked on it was on the outside on the left looking toward screen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-23-2008 10:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The connector is indeed on the operator side. You jump the 7:00 and 8:00 connectors together to light the lamp and disconnect to extinguish it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-24-2008 08:54 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: not all of these lamps HAD an automation connection. Louis

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2008 09:56 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I have one that is the older version that doesn't have the plug and then I have one that is missing the plug, but has the opening in the side of the lamp. From what I was told when it was installed in the Jerry Lewis Cinema, they had a switched AC outlet as part of the automation and they bypassed the fans to keep them running all the time.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2009 12:46 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I decided to give it another shot; hooking the lamp up to the automation. So I don't have to go crazy looking through schematics, hopefully someone could help by pointing me in the right direction. I'm using (2) ORC 1000's and of course, both are different. The first one is the original model with the metal toggle switch to turn it on and the second one is the Circuit Breaker on/off toggle switch. I want to use a outside relay that the automation switches to stirke the lamp, but to keep the fans running at all times (until power is disconnected). On the first lamp, where should I interupt the circuit. Right now, I have the fans wire "pre power switch" and they come on when the cord is plugged in. I talked to some people and they said that it should be after the 1/4 amp fuse which looks like it goes to the input of the control board. On the second lamp, I know there is already a jumper in there that is used for automation. The problem is, the original connector was removed and I really didn't take a close look at the connections. I'd figure I ask and maybe someone would tell me where to look. Its for a home set up so its not a pressing issue. I just want to get the stuff working. ANY help is appreciated. As always, thanks again.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-18-2010 12:33 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 371 days since the last post.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 12:33 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about doing this again and was wondering, since I'm dealing with 2 different kinds of ORC 1000 lamps (one designed to be used with automation and one that isn't), that if it was possible to use the lamphouse interlocks as a way to connect it to the automation. The automation supplies a dry contacts for a lighting the lamp. Both of the lamp houses employ interlock switches. Why couldn't the automation contacts be in series to the interlock? Its just like any other switch, right? What's the current of the interlock circuit? Even if I use a relay between the automation and the lamp. Any thoughts?

Bernie

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 12:39 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernie,

That is how most lamps are wired to the automation though they use a terminal strip to make it look pretty. If you look at the circuit for say a strong the automation will send the 120 volts to the safety interlocks and as long as they are all closed it will send the 120 volts to the coil of the contactor causing it to pull in and light the lamp.

What you want to do is take the 120 volts coming in from the power supply and cut it off before the first safety switch and send it into your automation's lamp relay feed side. Take the other end with the switches on it and connect it to the output side of that relay. Now if you leave your lamphouse controls in the "On" (Or automation) p0sition it should light up when you start the automation or use the manual switch on the automation.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 12:59 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I just wanted confirmation on that. Those interlock circuits are usually lower current, right? I know the entire lamp pulls about 18 amps.

Bernie

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 05:21 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The safety circuit should be regular A/C 120 Volt 20 Amp "house" current. Regardless though your power supply should supply it to the lamphouse.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2010 11:12 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I got the newer lamphouse hooked up to the automation. It was as simple as finding the old wires to the automation plug (which was removed) and splicing in the automation in series with the circuit.

Now, the older 1000 (first gen with metal toggle switch) has a very different circuit for the interlock. The way it looks is that the interlock switch is in series with the power plug. In the manual, they recommend wiring in a 15 amp relay to the main power plug and switching that. But is there another way to do it in these older lamps? I was looking at the relay on top... what if you broke the wire prior to the first relay contact. I'm assuming by the size of the wire its very low current. Its about an 18-20 gauge wire. What do you think?
Thanks
Bernie

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2010 02:30 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that where it sais to use a relay in the older lamphouse is where you want to connect to the the relay in your automation. Basically you want the relay in your automation to be the first "switch" in your safety interlock circuit.

Your circuit should go like this...

Power Supply 120 Out------automation relay-----safety switch-----safety switch-----coil on power supply contactor

Now when all your safety switches are closed and you switch on the automation it will pull in the contactor on your power supply and light the lamp. If they did not provide a place to tap into this circuit I would disconnect the incoming side of the first safety switch run the appropriate gauge 2 conuctor cable to your automation with one wire as the input to the relay and one as the output. Wire the output wire to where you disconnected from the switch and splice the wire that you disconnected together with the input wire.

I hope this makes sense.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: