Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Flange Binding

Author Topic: Flange Binding
Ben LaCrosse
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2008 08:17 PM      Profile for Ben LaCrosse   Email Ben LaCrosse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about how to get a nice and even wind when building up to a 6k house reel.

I just can't get it to wind smooth and flat. Is it a matter of not moving your hand at all or are my reels to wide apart?

Until stumbling upon this site I've always built reel to platter, so building up to house reels is relatively new to me. That being said, I am also suspicious of our House reels being faulty. Some are bent, others are missing inserts, and some are flat out labeled "Bad". What bugs me the most is how wide they look. The reels we have are the same ones pictured in the building 101 tips section. They're aluminum 6k reels. However, in the tips section his looks skinnier than ours.

What about the auto arm cutoff thing in instead of flange binding? My co-worker uses this method to get a even roll. The film has space on either side of it, though. Is this frowned upon?

Aren't you supposed bind to the side of the reel that lays face down on the mut, to avoid shifting of the film?

Are my reels too wide or do I just suck at flange binding?

MUT is a strong. Build up table/area is kelmar. fyi.

Fantastic website, btw.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2008 09:02 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of a reel being just a little too wide. Does it look like the reel is perhaps twice as wide as the film? If so, then you have a 70mm reel.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2008 09:28 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The flanges on the old metal shipping reels could be opened and closed, as I recall.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-14-2008 10:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a section on Flange binding in this tips section for print builds.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-15-2008 10:01 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When winding by hand, it's very difficult to keep the film completely flat on the side of the reel, especially if you stop (as you should) to check the print then start again.

So long as there's not a 'single' layer of film left to fend for itself in the wind (it will lose the battle) you should be OK.

Ben LaCrosse
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2008 10:12 AM      Profile for Ben LaCrosse   Email Ben LaCrosse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah Ken, they are 35mm reels. I just felt that perhaps they allowed for too much play. They are about a 1/4 inch wider than the standard 2k reel.

Thanks John, I had a feeling I was worrying too much about having it completely flat. So a little ripple here and there is o.k., just not a lone soldier layer. Gotcha.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-16-2008 07:14 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW: When winding on cores, there is a device called a tight winder that stacks each layer EXACTLY on top of the previous layer. This is how trailers are sent in with "perfect" winds. Louis

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2008 04:54 AM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time and practice... That's all it takes!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-17-2008 08:11 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotta admit, even with my vertical tightwind, I have trouble; the first few turns around the core seem to be offset from all the rest (I guess the core moves on the trailer flange?) and there is therefore a little "dishing" when I wind up trailers... Any tips?

--jhawk

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 04:29 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ashamed to say I rewind at home with Easton hand winders on to cores, with an 'adaptor' made of paper and tape. The winding is awful and to straighten it out I slam the film on a flat surface. I die a little inside each time though [Frown]

By the way, the rewinders have square keying with a spring loaded ball, what kind of reels did this take, goldberg 2000s don't fit.

Also, is there an adaptor for cores available, or a better idea than paper and tape?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 11:31 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, the rewinders have square keying with a spring loaded ball, what kind of reels did this take, goldberg 2000s don't fit.

Those are 16mm rewinders, so it is no wonder that a 35mm reel will not fit on them.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 07:29 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damien those Easton winders you have are 16mm ones. The 35mm (which can of course handle 16mm reels) have a threaded rod and a large 'wing nut' lock mechanism. What you need is a split reel to work with cores or a plate. Have a look at work in your rewind room in cinema 1 and you will see what I mean.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: