Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Trailer Discs - what to do with them (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS Trailer Discs - what to do with them
Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 10:09 AM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What becomes of the DTS trailer discs at your theater after they have been retired? Are you stacking them in the corner? Throwing them in the trash? Sending them back to DTS?

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 10:16 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have any sub run theatres in your area you may want to give them a call and see if they have any DTS units. I am sure that they would GREATLY appreciate your old trailer discs! You may even be able to work something out with them where you can watch movies there for free if you miss something the first time around.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-31-2008 11:10 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're kidding, right? Domestically, DTS will send trailer discs to anybody with a DTS player, first-run or sub-run. I can't speak to internationally.

--jhawk

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-31-2008 01:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
instead of filling landfills with them, put them in a recycle bin for all plastics ...what I do with mine.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 04:02 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually going to suggest shipping them to me - I'll pay for postage. Looking for any and all dates - in fact, the older the better.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 04:53 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the trailer discs readable by a PC as a standard type of DTS soundtrack? It's my understanding that the discs for the movies are encrypted somehow, but is this true for the trailers as well?

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 05:19 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie discs and trailer discs are structured the same. The audio must still be played back through a DTS playback system - the difference is Trailer Discs have 45-50 trailers encoded as a single Reel (R14), with each trailer having a unique serial number. The disc includes a "play list" which lists the serial numbers and where the audio for each is stored within the 'reel'.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 07:22 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found some hacked up winamp plugin that allows stereo playback of files from a DTS disc.. wouldn't do much good, though without any way to sync to the projector.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 08:34 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in extracting the 5.1 audio (and converting to DVD-compliant DTS or Dolby) for the use of syncing to trailers myself (off of DVD, Quicktime, or what have you) that weren't transferred in 5.1 for whatever reason. The fact that a plugin like that exists makes me hopeful.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 11:29 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately that won't work.

I've never figured out how that plugin works - and while it will still presumably work on the trailer reels, the feature reels have changed to prevent just that very thing.

In addition, the DTS format on film and that used on LaserDisc, CD and DVD is completely different, and the home decoders will not be able to play it back.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2008 09:04 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any old DTS trailer discs or DTS discs for that matter from the early to mid 90's? I'm looking for a coming soon snipe that has a DTS track but I don't have a disc for it...

Thanks

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-01-2008 09:16 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be a silly question, but will DTS send out older trailer disks to theatres that book repertory programming? If I wanted to show a trailer for, say, Lord of the Rings in advance of an upcoming booking, is there a legitimate way to get the disks for the trailer, short of asking theatres to look through their junk piles?

Personally, I don't play trailers in digital, but I would hope that DTS would have the means to accommodate such a request.

As a side note, DTS has also been known to send out trailer disks to theatres that don't have and never did have DTS. I know of one theatre (without DTS) that had a difficult time getting them to stop sending them trailer disks (this was in the late 1990s; perhaps things have changed).

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2008 09:49 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well J Hawk I havent worked in a sub run for over ten years but I remember that we were luck to get our hands on anything! Posters, trailers etc... I beleive the owners of the theatre had a similar deal as I mentioned with a first run theatre to get trailers and posters so I figured that DTS trailer disks would have been the same but now I know better! Thanks!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-01-2008 11:17 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, soooo right you are Sean....I have been in repetory all but the first 5 years of my booth career and getting publicity material is like getting root canal without any pain killer. 1-sheets...forget it.

Years ago there was an outfit in Texas, Consolidated poster I think. They were a gold mind for older posters. Then they went belly up. The only other place I've found that has older posters is a place in NYC, but they are catering to the upscale the collectors -- you know, the crazies -- so if you want a poster, say of the original WAR OF THE WORLDS, you better have $300 to $500 to buy it from this outfit. So that's out of the question. I will be playing PERSUASION on Monday (Sony Classics), do you think there is ANY material available for this 10 yr old film?

Luckily for me, the color inkjet printers today have a feature called TILE. They let you print big posters from computer images. I just did one of these for PERSUASION. I grab 1 sheet images or DVD jacket images off the web and put them in Photoshop and then outputing them to the printer and "tile" them as nine 8.5in x 14in pages....then get a cup of coffee and spend half an hour pasting them together to make a near-perfect 1 sheet. I've gotten really good at it -- step a foot or two away and you'd swear you were looking at one piece of paper. Still, what a pain in the butt. But we do what we gotta do. I have to have a budget just for color ink cartridges!

Hey, I am with Blaine, ship those trailers discs out to your poorer rep house brethern who have to scrounge for any scraps we can get our hands on. Hell, you wouldn't even need to have perfect sync....I'd be happy to just suck off the audio, put it into a powerpoint file with some artwork from the film (sucked off the imdb or such), just so I could put SOMETHING up on the screen. I used to even use those hokey Filmack "Trailerettes" --they were just a shot of the artwork from the film, usually the newspaper ad matte and some stock music on the soundtrack -- shlock to be sure, but I was glad to get even THAT. I think Filmack still makes those.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2008 01:22 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
I'd be happy to just suck off the audio, put it into a powerpoint file with some artwork from the film
Any specific software that will rip/convert the audio from a trailer disc? Or is this directly readable by something like VLC?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: