Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Widescreen Weekend 2008 (UK) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Widescreen Weekend 2008 (UK)
Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 02:05 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Program is now on-line at www.in70mm.com - hit the Widescreen Weekend link, or hit it here.

Who's attending?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-31-2008 09:00 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, that is always a difficult time work-wise. I'll try, but I haven't been able to make it the last two years.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 04:17 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I be there, sadly not so much 70mm being screened this year and looks that the D-Cinema 2k [dlp] is now in the Widescreen Festival [Frown] .

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-31-2008 04:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try to make it over for The Sand Pebbles, even though it isn't a 70mm print of the recent restoration (presumably that proved too expensive to ship?). To be honest, the other films are either things I've seen before and relatively recently, or don't really grab me. But I guess that, living only 25 miles from the museum, it's possible to be blasé about such things!

Hope to see some of you on the Saturday afternoon.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2008 03:06 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Leo two people you know from Vancouver will probably be there [Wink]

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2008 06:12 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ben: Widescreen Weekend is not speciafically 70mm, everything else in widescreen is welcome. We have to embrace new technology too, like digital.

Hi Leo: "Sand Pebbles" is not available in 70mm

See you there guys

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2008 12:54 PM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would like to come but I have recently changed jobs and I'm following a 65 week training course as train driver for the Belgian railroads so sadly cannot attend this year.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-01-2008 01:36 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick,

Can you recommend a good cheap hotel nearby?

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2008 02:08 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Hauerslev
Hi Ben: Widescreen Weekend is not speciafically 70mm, everything else in widescreen is welcome. We have to embrace new technology too, like digital.
True, as you know doubt most of the Widescreen Weekend Supportors are Cinerama and 70mm Fans and many are there for that reason, I guess we have been spoilt with 70mm & Cinerama in the past.

As for Digital Cinema, well it's here, but with the same experience you can buy a DVD/HD of an old Classic film and watch it at home - you can't recreate a large 70mm or Cinerama screen with Mag sound - It may well be "Old Hat" but it is why people pay to see it.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2008 02:54 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen

The most reasonable "real" hotel is the Express by Holiday Inn,just over 5 minutes walk from Pictureville. Rooms about £42

Find details here

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2008 06:26 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Stephen

Whenever I am in Bradford I always stay at the Midland Hotel. It offers 4 poster beds, and has bathrooms larger than the bedrooms in the Holiday Inn! There is also a very nice Italian restaurant called New Guiseppies just over the road, and a very aggreeable public house - The Shoulder of Mutton, which server very nice strong pilsner. Bram Stoker stayed in this hotel, and I have occupied his very room on more than one occasion.

Good afternoon

David

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2008 09:20 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Midland is the official Festival hotel as stated on the BIFF08 Website

quote:
Situated in the heart of Bradford, The Midland Hotel is the official hotel for the Bradford International Film Festival 2007, and as a sponsor, will host many of the Festival’s guests, as well as offering special rates for all film fans attending the Festival. Only a 10 minute walk from the Museum, the Midland is ideally located for Festival goers, and is convenient for both Forster Square and Bradford Interchange train stations.

The Midland played host to the rich and famous in it’s hey day, including legends such as Laurel and Hardy, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, George Formby and even the author of Dracula, Bram Stoker! Now restored to its original greatness, but with all the facilities of the 21st century, the Midland Hotel continues to welcome people to Bradford with friendly service, a great restaurant and a residents’ bar that never closes – ideal for that drink after a late night Festival screening.

Tel: 01274 735735
Web: www.midland-hotel-bradford.com

For sole occupancy then the Holiday Inn has a better rate

The Visit Bradford website has a full list of accommodation.

Ramon Lamarca Marques
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2008 11:01 AM      Profile for Ramon Lamarca Marques   Email Ramon Lamarca Marques   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not find this year’s programme one of their best.

I also agree with Ben on the projection of some films electronically, it is a sad decision indeed. I understand Blade Runner since there are only digital files available of it, but to show The Great Escape in digital is a bad aesthetical and ethical decision.

Films like The Great Escape should be preserved out of the digital domain, as close as possible to the real experience. I saw a good 35mm print of it at the NFT some years ago. There are many good 35mm scope restorations by Columbia and it is a pity that none of them are being shown.

The only film that really interests me this year is The Sand Pebbles and I hope to be there to see it. I will see Star because it is a brand new Todd-AO print but I do not really like it. Also, there are the always interesting seminars and Cineramacana.

I would like to see Brainstorm but I have to be somewhere else on Monday.

I hope that in future editions we will have more restored 35mm prints in scope or VistaVision instead of the cold 2k digital format, which is not suited to display films generated in the analog era.

[ 02-02-2008, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Ramon Lamarca Marques ]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-02-2008 02:35 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I welcome the inclusion of digital presentation this year. Whether you love it or loathe it, or as is probably the case with most people, somewhere in between, I don't think you should ignore it. I still have serious doubts about the use of digital projection in cinemas at this time, though most of them are not technical. Hopefully the Pictureville will put on the best possible show with it, which is more than is happening in a number of other cinemas, including some well-known ones, from things that I've heard. I think it's a pity that it won't be possible to see a true 4k presentation as well.

Go to see the digital show, and judge it on its merits. Then report back here, and tell us what you thought.

What is it which is being presented digitally by the way? I haven't had a chance to look at the programme for this year yet.

Ramon Lamarca Marques
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2008 03:19 PM      Profile for Ramon Lamarca Marques   Email Ramon Lamarca Marques   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
I welcome the inclusion of digital presentation this year. Whether you love it or loathe it, or as is probably the case with most people, somewhere in between, I don't think you should ignore it. I still have serious doubts about the use of digital projection in cinemas at this time, though most of them are not technical. Hopefully the Pictureville will put on the best possible show with it, which is more than is happening in a number of other cinemas
I just don’t watch old analog films in digital on the big screen, it is a personal choice. I watch them electronically at home or in analog format at cinemas. I think from a historical standpoint and an artistic viewpoint to show those films in digital is blatantly wrong and other art fields would not do something as tacky as this, but there you go, cinema is the 7th art not the first and gets a 7th grade respect not a first grade. The Great Escape is one of the films shown in digital, the other being Blade Runner (The nearly final director’s cut edition).

As for new presentations I have watched two digital films, The Counterfeiters which was quite poor in image quality but God knows where films lose quality these days, it could be the digital intermediate and therefore a 35mm print wouldn’t be much better, or maybe it is the way it was originated. The other one was No Country for Old Men, the colour was very good and the sharpness of some images very good as well, but these are just some of the qualities that make films look good, I personally felt that the steadiness of the system detracts from the enjoyment, still objects remain very still and this is very odd, it is like watching a still image with moving objects in front. Also because the main aim of this “new technology” is to get rid of the projectionists the screen masking was wrong and further to the left to the digital image and so leaving a bit of blank screen (I wonder if the projector was off centre). I prefer proper 35mm prints, properly screened and I will spend my money seeing them whilst they still exist instead of funding the morally dubious and not really amazing 2K technology.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: