Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP650 Parts

Author Topic: CP650 Parts
Matt Paulk
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2008 04:46 PM      Profile for Matt Paulk   Email Matt Paulk       Edit/Delete Post 
I need some help tracking down a Cat 773 card for a CP650. Unfortunately I can only track down an upgrade. Anyone know of a reliable place to find obsolete Dolby Parts? Any help and quick responses would be GREATLY appreciated!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-30-2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cat 773 is THE Dolby Digital decoder board (film based Dolby Digital).

Whereas the CP650 is Dolby's one and only processor out there at the moment...the odds you find a Cat 773 lying around are slim to none. In fact, the UD650 contains nothing more than the Cat773.

Now it is entirely possible that with the DCinema version of the CP650 (a beta version was out at ShowEast) that you might find some Cat 773s would be for sale, IF the owner of the CP650 thought to ditch the card when they went exclusively DCinema AND that Dolby's software will allow a Cat 773less CP650 function with the Cat 790/791/794/778. I'm not saying it isn't already possible but whereas Dolby has yet to offer version of the CP650 that has one of the I/O connector cards that does not also have the Cat 773, it is entirely possible that the system looks to see if the Cat 773 is there first.

I don't think your quest will be fruitful at this time but perhaps at a later time.

Steve

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-30-2008 05:38 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby won't just sell that part? How are CP650SR owners supposed to upgrade to SRD, then? (Hopefully the answer is not "buy a used DA20"!)

Or is the original poster asking about used equipment that may be available?

Matt Paulk
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2008 07:34 PM      Profile for Matt Paulk   Email Matt Paulk       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny story. Dolby has weeded out the cat 773 card and replaced it with the cat 794 (I believe, I didn't make the call. Not for my theatre, just trying to help a friend) upgrade for a mere $3000 & change. But good news is after a couple of calls another theatre with a pulled unit had one in it so they get a freebie. Thanks for the quick replies though guys. This is my first time ever posting on F-T, but you are all great resources that I have been using for years. [Smile]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-30-2008 07:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard part available through and in stock at any professional dealer! Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-30-2008 11:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cat 773 is the CURRENT and only Dolby Digital card the CP650 has ever had. The Cat 794 is the OLD Option I/O board that was ironically replaced by the Cat 790. The 794 allowed either AES or S/PDIF with the user setting the jumpers on the board to configure it as desired. The Cat 790 is S/PDIF only. The Cat778 is AES only. The Cat 794 is the discontinued board.

Scott...if you have a CP650SR and you want Dolby Digital...you order a UD650. In the box is.... A Cat773 with instructions on its installation (plug it in and screw it down).

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: