Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Running typical cinema programs on Vista (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Running typical cinema programs on Vista
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-22-2008 05:36 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has probably been discussed before, but I haven't found much info about that yet. Do typical cinema programs like the CP650 setup software of DRAS run on Vista?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-22-2008 08:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: Dolby wasn't even sure about this when I called them and asked if it would work... the reply was you'd be the first to try it. And so I tried Dolby Server Client on a new Vista Machine and it would run but not correctly, the display did strange things and the computer finally locked up. I don't know if the problem was that it didn't like the Linux based Dolby program or if the Vista system didn't like JSE Runtime that makes the Server Client graphics happen. Because of time constraints I had to track down a used XP computer whilst in Ceeyenne, WY and use it instead. All was then fine and dandy.

BTW: When I bought the new Vista computer the sales guy told me that many people who had bought Vista based machines... which are all thats available any longer... had to downgrade them to XP in order to get many common programs to run properly. Fortunately I was able to return the Vista machine for a refund.

Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-22-2008 10:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screw Windows Vista.

Get SUSE Linux.

You should be able to build a live-bootable copy of the operating system, install all the applications you need then burn them to a DVD-ROM

Insert the DVD and give the correct incantation. Boot the computer into Linux. Do your work. When you're done, take the DVD out of the drive and reboot. The computer will run in Windows again.

SUSE Linux is called for here because it has Windows emulation built in. You SHOULD be able to get your Windows applications to run under Linux in emulation mode.

I advocate that all equipment manufacturers who have software to manage their equipment write their apps for linux and build them into a live-boot CD or DVD-ROM. That way they'll bypass all of these silly OS incompatibility issues because they packaged their software with an OS that will run it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-22-2008 11:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(..even a bootable CD copy of Knoppix (linux) is great too...), but do agree, SUSE Linux is something else.

..think I'll stay with XP-PRO-SP2... - Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-23-2008 08:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've messed around with some of the Linux based OS's and its basically the same problem as Vista... some Windows based programs work and some don't. So I too will stick with XP-Pro. I've had mine up for literally months at a time with no problems.

Mark

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2008 08:52 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently bought a laptop with Vista and had to downgrade it to XP. I´m just happy that I was able to.
XP is not the only feature that has gone extinct. RS-232 ports too! And not all USB-RS232 adapters work properly for our needs!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-23-2008 09:16 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have gotten to old to learn a new OS for absolutely no good reason at all other than to make Microsucks more money. XP Pro works fine; it's not broke; I don't need to fix it. No RS232....what are they crazy?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RS232 ports started disapearing years ago. Probably because there haven't been any (at least not many) consumer devices that use it any more. Everything has gone to USB. I have heard of issues with USB-to-serial adapters. For my RS232 needs, I use a serial I/O PC card made by Socket and have not had any problems with it.

I completely agree with Frank about Vista. There is no need to "upgrade" because there is absolutely nothing wrong with XP (except, perhaps, the fact that it is too damn expensive!). Good point about wasting the time learning a new OS for no reason.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2008 10:34 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most PC Card serial adapters have excellent (perfect) compatibility compared to built-in serial ports. One notable exception is some older Compaq consumer laptops that have serial ports that use non-standard voltage levels that don't work electrically with some equipment; in that case, the PC Card adapters fix that.

Not all USB-Serial adapters are the same; the ones based on the FTDI chip are excellent and I haven't had any compatibility problems even with picky devices.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2008 12:28 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XP was the first version of Windows that wouldn't run some programs written for earlier versions of windows. I was told the XP stood for expire and the person telling me that thought i was collusion between Microsoft and other software companies to force updates and now VISTA is the same some programs preform fine that were written for earlier versions and others don't! So if you are use to a particular program and doesn't work the theory is you will run out and buy the new VISTA certified version. Makes sense to me! But hey I just want my stuff to work!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-23-2008 12:33 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with suggesting linux is that the wine "emulator" (well technically it's a re-write of most of the API and not an emulator) is more or less a crap shoot as to if a piece of software will work or not.

Wine has apparently gotten better over the years but there is no way to guarantee that the program will run properly... especially with something that's for a niche market like Dolby software as the devs focus on having it interact well with commonly used programs.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2008 12:39 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris most wine improves over the years while Whine never improves! Sorry couldn't resist that!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-23-2008 12:50 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
RS232 ports started disapearing years ago. Probably because there haven't been any (at least not many) consumer devices that use it any more. Everything has gone to USB. I have heard of issues with USB-to-serial adapters. For my RS232 needs, I use a serial I/O PC card made by Socket and have not had any problems with it.
For consumer devices maybe, but we've probably got more RS-232 (and RS-422 and RS-485) now than we've had for years, possibly ever. It's widely used in things like device control and automation systems, where only small amounts of data need to be transmitted. I'm thinking of things like access control systems, boilerhouse plant management, and similar things. We also have a lot of interactive whiteboards which use it. In some cases there's a local controller which talks some form of serial to the devices in an area of the building, and this then talks IP to the rest of the World. The main reason that USB isn't used for this sort of thing is that it's limited to a range of about 15 feet, whereas RS-232 is supposed to go 50, and will often go considerably further. RS-422 will go much further. You can use repeaters with USB, but conventional serial connections will do it without, and the speed of USB isn't needed for this sort of thing.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2008 01:04 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a basic version of this done on a mac a few months back. if i find the link ill share it with you guys.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-23-2008 05:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
When I bought the new Vista computer the sales guy told me that many people who had bought Vista based machines... which are all thats available any longer...
Sounds like a lazy sales guy. I think the major computer vendors still offer a choice of XP or Vista since that's what the consumers want. At least, I know Dell does. (Or, they did a couple of weeks ago...)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: