Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton Reel Take-Up Question

Author Topic: Kinoton Reel Take-Up Question
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 08:41 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Kinoton FP-23X in a small screening room that utilizes a powered reel takeup. The powered takeup is a motor that drives a chain to a fairly standard slip clutch. The pad in the slip clutch is made from some synthetic rubber like material. I discovered that at some point the slip clutch has seized forcing the takeup motor to run slower that it should.

I took it apart and cleaned some dried oil or grease off of it, re-oiled it, and put it back together. It is working fine again.

My concern is eventually the oil will turn sticky and the clutch will seize again. With a Kelmar arm, this would not be a problem because you can see what is happening and fix it. On this projector, the slip clutch is buried into the sealed based along with the rectifier for the lamp house. It was obviously designed not to require regular maintenance.

My question is, should there be oil (at all) or any other lubricant on the pad? If so, what should it be?

-

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-22-2008 10:11 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mitchell, I had once brought up the question of oil in the friction pads and whether or not this was necessary; everyone said, yes, the felt pads need to be oiled. Thing is, I had always had very good luck long before I found out about the oil by using perfectly clean felt pads and tightening the pressure spring enough to get good slipage vs. pull -- just the felt pad pressure against the plate. This may not be the conventional way it is designed to work, but it did work perfectly fine in my situation. I've since applied oil, but I must say, for years it worked fine without, and I rarely argue with success. Maybe this could work for you, eliminate the difficulty of getting at the pads if the oil gets sticky. I say, try it; if the pads will create enough friction just by virtue of the pressure spring against them, than that might be a solution for you. Sometimes going outside the box works.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-22-2008 10:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can run them dry but also pay the consiquences by wearing out the metal clutch parts ALOT faster than if the pads were kept saturated with oil and lubricating those metal parts, the pads also last ALOT longer if oiled. 30 weight at least on the Kelmar stuff is proper. I suppose there is some special Kinoil for those machines.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-22-2008 09:21 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your machine uses the standard Kinoton/Philips clutch (same one that was used on the AA2), then Cardan oil is the prescribed lubricant for it. The Only FP23s we have use motors that drive the take up assy via a pair of flat belts. the weight of the reel would increase the drag on the belts for more torque as the reel gets heavier. I've had those belts go bad and they are available from Kinoton USA. They are typically Yellow or Black in color.

Steve

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-23-2008 09:33 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mitchell, what I said....forget it.
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
You can run them dry but also pay the consiquences by wearing out the metal clutch parts ALOT faster
Kinda puts the knife in my theory.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: