Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Smell of Projection (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Smell of Projection
Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2008 11:29 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd title, perhaps...

When I first saw my first projection booth on my interview for the job, I was overcome somewhat by the lovely smell of the place. I couldnt put my finger on it. A bit of musty, dusty, 'from your grandpas attic' smell perhaps?

Whatever it was, since working in the booth for about 5 months now, I cant smell anything. And thats such a shame. It was half the experience of working there, and one of the main reasons I fell in love with the booth. I still smell it a few times a week when i get in, but soon its gone.

Does anyone else know what I mean? It had that kind of stately home/mansion feel to it? Perhaps its the darkness, all the equipment and maybe even the film itself?

I cant put my finger on it - anyone help?

It used to be a little bit of nostalgia whenever i got into work. [Smile] lovely feeling.\

Peter

|  IP: Logged

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2008 11:42 AM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Simplex Oil has that musty dusty smell.

Benjamin John Doman
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2008 11:51 AM      Profile for Benjamin John Doman   Email Benjamin John Doman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Ahh, that lovely warm old oily smell! My wife always knows when I have done some 'open heart surgery' on a projector as I bring the smell home with me. Takes me right back my first cinema. Westars, Westrx valve amp and the pasties warming on the convector heater in the corner!

Ben

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-21-2008 12:05 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always loved the smell of a carbon arc booth at a drive-in, with the slight mixture of popcorn and hamburgers in the air.

Every once in a great while, I'll smell something similar and I'm instantly transported back in time.

Then I realize I just need a bath.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2008 01:21 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the normalicy factor. You get used to a smell, you simply don't notice the smell anymore.
I don't notice the smell of popcorn popping anymore unless I am in front of the popper actually running the popper (and on our old Cretors machine, the smoky smell hit me once and I had a flashback where I recalled in a small community we lived in for 6 months, we could burn our garbage in barrels in the alley which was designed for this. This was back in 66 and 67.)
The lobby of Movies 4 (Mann Slide Road0 smelled like a kitchen/dishroom of a restaurant, but this was likely due to a restaurant being located next door to it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-21-2008 02:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was smelling the carbon arc soot from Ashcrafts and the grease smell of Motiographs - along with the hamburgers, pizzas and freshly popped popcorn in our snakbar at a drive-in that I began at back in 1969.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2008 04:26 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the smell of mag tracks on a 70mm print.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-21-2008 06:24 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the Vine Theatre in Hollywood, CA the whole theatre smells of booth.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-21-2008 06:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it's the mix of stale popcorn and projector oil that makes up "that smell."

Has anyone noticed that different chains have slightly different smells, presumably due to the use of different popcorn oils? I know that the "General Cinema" smell is different from the "Landmark" smell, for example.

Naturally, I cannot stand to be exposed to "vinegar" smell.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2008 08:14 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, a walk on memory lane. Everytime I walk into my booth, I feel at home and am transported back in time to my Ultra Star Cinemas La Costa 6 days, especially when I do a shift at the Gaslamp Stadium 15. Still transports me back to the good ol' days when I first learned booth operations. [beer]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-21-2008 09:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a ticket-taker girl who used to hang out in the booth with me sometimes. A couple of years ago she visited Forsyth after being gone for 15 years -- she walked into the booth and took a deep breath and said, "Ahhhhh, it still smells just the same." (And she was smiling when she said it, so I assume it was a good memory.)

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 02:58 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping everyone else would have the same memories of the early days. I suppose for me it takes me back to the smells of my grandpas printing press he had in his garage. all that metal and oil and stuff. And all the rags covered in parafin and machine oil.

Its nice, for me its almost like im stepping back in time to my childhood a little every day. I just wish I could smell it all the time.

Mostly if its been raining and the booth gets a little damp in the air it gets all musty. Thats when i smell it nowadays.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 03:46 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going back to the old days in 1952 when I first worked in a projection room, I remember the musty smell of nitrate film on Saturday morning children’s shows, and Sunday for 1 day revivals. The weekday release pictures were by then all on safety film stock.

The projection room wooden block floor polished daily.

Projector oil.

Very strong vinegar or lavender odour on treated reissue prints. [evil]

Film cement. [Smile]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-22-2008 10:36 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FILM CEMENT! Bernard, I had forgotten all about that! I LOVED it...probably about as close to sniffing glue as I will ever get, but I did love to take deep deep breaths whenever I was splicing. Splicing tape....bahhumbug.

Smells really do transport you back in time. And yes, we do get used to smells fairly quickly -- it's nature's deodorant! Actually, we tend to do that with all of our senses.....the brain figures out what is the steady-state and does it's best take that out of the mix. Keeping us aware of change is better for our survival; we can better aware of something changing, moving, if everything else become background. Just yesterday one of the lenses fell out of my eyeglasses while I was driving. At first I paniced, but then I remembered about cinematographers who don't have to keep both eyes closed when looking thru the viewfinder because the brain will effectively shut off the eye that he's not concentrating on. It worked; after a minute or so, yes, I was seeing both eye images (one badly out of focus), but my brain just ignored the out-of-focus image....just like some booth zombies do when they start a movie.

As for steady-state smells....that's why you can put a dozen air freshener hanging thingies in your car, but it's only when you first enter that you notice the fragrance. That's why they have to put a fan in those little plug in things. Unfortunately for the consumer who thinks plugins is an alternative to cleaning, that's just a gimmic -- you will STILL get used to it. They could spray perfume into the room using fire hoses and you'd get used to it. It's in our DNA.

I've asked this before, but...does anyone know of the aresole spray that had the scent of popcorn? In my early days, the owner of my theatre in Bryan-College Station used to spray this stuff in the back of the theatre about 20 minutes before the intermission (we ran double bills). People would come out in droves to buy popcorn; he would just stand there with a smile on his face. I don't recall the name at all other than it had Popcorn as part of it....Maybe Instant Popcorn? I've never seen it since.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-22-2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think alot of the smell is all the oil thats dripped down and saturated the cement floors... That oil goes ransid and has a unique pungent oder. Mixed with popcorn and burgers smell its pretty unique.

Film cement gone well before I was in this biz... I used to use it to splice my 8mm home movies back when I used to frequent the likes of Superior Bulk Film Company for film, processing chemicals and 8mm processing tanks....

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: