Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » christie lamp won't ignite (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: christie lamp won't ignite
Warren Dewey
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 01:52 AM      Profile for Warren Dewey   Author's Homepage   Email Warren Dewey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've searched the forum but not found this exact problem. I think I've lost my igniter, but not sure.

3 year old Christie SLC 40, New lamp. Changeover house, so I have a twin working lamphouse nearby to compare to.

At the start of the show tonight, lamp went out after 10 seconds or so, and won't restrike. Internal meter shows 40 volts with DC power switch on. (Usually runs at 25 V with lamp working.) Ready light is on.

Manual switch causes no jump in voltage on the meter. If I try to restrike with the manual switch more than once, the 3-phase breaker on the lamphouse pops. (The working lamphouse jumps to 40 volts or so when striking.)

I hear the relay when the dc power is switched on, but no hiss sound, which I usually hear when striking automatically. Manual switch makes the hiss sound, but still no light. So-- it looks like the igniter is bad--

However if I try to strike the lamp manually with DC power OFF, I get a momentary flash in the lamp. I can repeat this, but only after waiting a minute or so. It seems like the igniter is doing SOMETHING. Does this mean the igniter could be ok, or is it most sincerely dead?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-19-2008 02:13 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Warren Dewey
At the start of the show tonight, lamp went out after 10 seconds or so, and won't restrike. Internal meter shows 40 volts with DC power switch on. (Usually runs at 25 V with lamp working.) Ready light is on.
When the rectifier is on before ignition, the voltmeter should be pegged over 130vdc. If you get this, your rectifier is okey.
If I try to restrike with the manual switch more than once, the 3-phase breaker on the lamphouse pops. (The working lamphouse jumps to 40 volts or so when striking.)

..for you've taxed your rectifer with it popping that 3ph breaker. I would bet that you lost a diode with it shorting out in that diode bank down underneath.
quote:
I hear the relay when the dc power is switched on, but no hiss sound, which I usually hear when striking automatically. Manual switch makes the hiss sound, but still no light. So-- it looks like the igniter is bad--

SLC-40 consoles uses the IGA15M igniter, and the igniter is okey since you got the "hiss" meaning that the spark is jumping across the electrodes in the bulb, but no required 120vdc from the rectifier to keep the bulb lit on the initial startup.
However if I try to strike the lamp manually with DC power OFF, I get a momentary flash in the lamp. I can repeat this, but only after waiting a minute or so. It seems like the igniter is doing SOMETHING. Does this mean the igniter could be ok, or is it most sincerely dead?

as mentioned above, I would say that the igniter is okey. But, if you really want to find out, either swap igniters from that other console, or if have one on spare, do the swapout - just make sure that those two wires are crossed on the terminal strip on top of the igniter, for if you don't you'll blow the igniter very quick.

Okey, here's the dumbest question of all: did you try another bulb? Sometimes new bulbs will crap out on you without giving you any notice that they are getting ready to die...and trust me, it isn't fun looking like an idiot when you bust a console apart looking for the complicated problem and finding a solution when right at the tip of your nose is the simple and obvious conclusion of how your problem began in the first place.which turns into a very easy fix.

Good luck - Monte

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-19-2008 02:50 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the rectifier diodes is shorted, or the bulb just died.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-19-2008 06:50 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bulb is OK; because the breaker kicked, I surely suspect the diode theory. Louis

Warren Dewey
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 09:14 AM      Profile for Warren Dewey   Author's Homepage   Email Warren Dewey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I did was replace the bulb-- no luck there.

quote:
Monte said: When the rectifier is on before ignition, the voltmeter should be pegged over 130vdc. If you get this, your rectifier is okey.
---Even my good lamphouse never reads that high-- 40V tops on the built-in meter. Of course the lamp fires before I can see the open circuit voltage.

EDIT-- Finally dug up an analog VOM and it shows all 3 normal diodes shorted -- I will replace them but I'm wondering if the cause may still be lurking around. Losing three at once seems kind of odd-- or is it?

Thanks guys for your help on this.

[ 01-19-2008, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Warren Dewey ]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 02:24 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warren,
Mulitple diodes going out is not as abnormal as you think. I've had this happen twice to my Rentecs. I find the first bad diode, change it and wonder "why is it still not working?" only to find another diode out, too. Both would be reverse (non forward) diodes.
Oddly, I seem to lose more reverse diodes than forwards...

Warren Dewey
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 03:05 PM      Profile for Warren Dewey   Author's Homepage   Email Warren Dewey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found actually one bad forward diode. Now that it's opened up I can reach them and measure with better accuracy. Could they make these things any harder to take apart? Thanks again for everyone's help--

hello 6K reels.... movies will have intermissions tonight--

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-19-2008 05:43 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they're not as bad as they used to be, though. The newer versions have the rectifier stack mounting bolts secured to the console frame, so you don't have to jack around needing a third hand when reinstalling them.

I keep a small supply of 1/4-20 nuts on hand, to add to the bolts in older units so I can lock them to the frame. This makes it a heck of a lot easier to service the stack in the future.

Good luck!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2008 10:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best to replace them all at once or you may be back in there in a short time. I generally use either the SKN/SKR series by Semikron(Allied Electronics) which have a much higher current and PIV rating or just drill out the heatsinks and use the diodes that Christie uses in the 4kw unit. If youuse either doides rarely is there ever a failure again. BTW The Semikrons are available in either metric or American thread. Be sure to specify which one you want.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-20-2008 12:03 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, do you have a URL for those, to order online?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-20-2008 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I'll post this on Monday for you.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-20-2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great! Thanks, Mark.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-20-2008 02:26 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We keep a back up diode bank on hand. We just pull the bad one out and put the good one in and get it back on screen. We then replace all the diodes in the removed bank and place it back in the cabinet for future problems.

Warren Dewey
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2008 03:41 PM      Profile for Warren Dewey   Author's Homepage   Email Warren Dewey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Christie literature is a little hard to decipher but the circuit diagram calls for part numbers: 150K60A and 150KR60A. Those part numbers are made by Vishay and mean 150 amps, 600 volts. However the parts list in the manual says 150 amps by 1000 volts. I ordered them from Allied anyway because they are probably right, and they were in stock:
vishay diode page

Allied also carries the heftier diodes Mark mentions, but had none in stock..

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-20-2008 08:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then you already have the "big" Christie diodes in there. Failure is pretty rare on those. Be sure the fan underneath the heatsinks is in GWO. They have a tendency to get clogged with dust.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: