Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » White line flashing on screen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: White line flashing on screen
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 06:13 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In most movies I've seen in theaters, a white line flashes up on the screen for one frame in the middle of the movie. Sometimes it occurs a few times during the movie, other times only once. It's as if the middle of the frame has the emulsion scraped off and is just transmitting white light. Most of the time there's little or no missing footage at these points, though the Dolby/SDDS might drop out to analogue for a couple of seconds.

Do you have any idea what these could be? Are these relics of when the film has snapped and had to be spliced back together? Are they cinch marks caused by brain wraps? Are the film handlers cutting frames out of the movie for souvenirs? [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-16-2008 06:25 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about Lab splices?

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 12:03 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like lab splices to me Bill. A smaller aperture plate or moving the masking down should correct the problem.

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 12:11 AM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a lab splice to me as well. You should remove all of them from the print while you are inspecting during build-up [Wink]

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 12:13 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what lab splices usually look line, but from reading older topics on Film-tech, it could be lab splices I'm seeing. Does anyone have a picture of what a lab splice looks like?

I doubt a smaller aperture plate or masking adjustment would help; the white lines are right in the middle of the picture area!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-17-2008 03:46 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when you pull the reels (or cores) of film out of the shipping box, look for any slight discolouration texture in the winds themselves. Then hand wind the film on a reel to this section and I bet there is a splice - which is a heat joined splice where the labs join rolls of raw film together before the emulsion is layered on prior to development of the positive stock.

To eliminate this 'flash' is to cut out these splices to make anew.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 04:06 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Monte said.
 -

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 05:57 AM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bernard, Is the caption on that frame of film a subliminal message to Thomas? [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-17-2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is where an ultrasonic splicer is really needed in the booth. Cutting out a frame with a tape splicer, no matter how perfect that tape splice is, it will still have "tape edge lines" horizontally across the image and if there is any movement to the image a jump in continuity too.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 01:08 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think a properly made tape splice would cover two frames, with the edges on the frame line. Done this way you shouldn't see the tape line on the screen.
Doing either this or with a sonic splicer will lose one frame.

RPM

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 01:32 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ultrasonic splicer is great. You're going to lose the frame either way you cut it and splice it. With the ultrasonic splicer, you don't notice it going through.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 02:14 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the first Richard: You would think they would make splicing tape 8 perfs wide to completely cover two frames, and splicers that use this tape. Unfortunately, they don't. Most tape is about for or five perfs wide, so the edges of the tape will be visible in two frames. Still much less objectionable to a lab splice.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 02:45 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always use a sharpie to fix my lab splices.

[beer]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 03:21 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like I remember a movie with that subtitle in it...

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 03:45 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
To the first Richard: You would think they would make splicing tape 8 perfs wide to completely cover two frames, and splicers that use this tape. Unfortunately, they don't.
Fear not - they do! CIR make 8-perforation 35mm splicers, and suitable tape is made by several manufacturers.

(FWIW is the Neumade splicer also available in 8-perforation format?)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: