Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS - What LED bulb is used?

Author Topic: DTS - What LED bulb is used?
Tissa DeSilva
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Tissa DeSilva   Email Tissa DeSilva   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Can anyone tell me what is the size , voltage and power of the Red Led bulb used in DTS Readers. and where we can buy them?
Thank you in advance.

[ 01-15-2008, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Sisemore ]

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2008 11:15 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 0% practical experience working with DTS systems but I do have a couple of equipment manuals here and I can't find any reference to the LED other than that the proper operating voltage for it is 4V.
I can't find any other specs or even a replacement part number for it in the manuals I have. Your best bet bet might be to contact DTS directly for the info you seek.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2008 05:38 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DO NOT EVER put 4V across a red LED. It will FRY. The 4V is measured on the READ side of the reader, and is adjusted by adjusting the gain of the reader side, NOT the LED voltage. The LED is fed through a fixed resistor, and is not adjustable.

Tissa DeSilva
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2008 08:59 PM      Profile for Tissa DeSilva   Email Tissa DeSilva   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what Red led buld it use? I remember its 2.5 MM led. But I want to know where to buy and what are power or bright requirments.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2008 12:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact Gord McLeod...I know he has the LED's and he also does rebuilds of the TCR. It is no easy task to replace it....

Mark

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2008 02:58 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be easier to do an repair/exchange with DTS on the readers? Will DTS not do this with the Canadian theatres like they do with us here in the States?

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 01:34 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce Hansen
The 4V is measured on the READ side of the reader, and is adjusted by adjusting the gain of the reader side, NOT the LED voltage.
Interesting... here's a hypothetical question. Assuming every aspect of a reader is in perfect working order and calibration other than the LED and reader. Would the most common case for failure be attributed to the LED fading or the reader elements losing their sensitivity? What is the reader element?

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-16-2009 10:31 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 396 days since the last post.

Eric Webb
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2009 10:31 PM      Profile for Eric Webb   Email Eric Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where find the led voltage fuse on the D422 board as stated in the DTS6-D system testing and troubleshooting guide in the manuals section of Film-tech? Because recently when I power on the DTS6 unit the reader led does not light but the player boots up fine. Any ideas?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-16-2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try a different reader first. I don't think there is a fuse in the 6-D, there is one on the 6 though. Hopefully Mike Smith is still out there.... he could tell you for sure...

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-16-2009 11:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a DTS-6 do the same thing: boots up, green light on reader stayed on for a few seconds then drop completely.

Had to send the unit and reader in to the place in NY and they overhauled the unit with new SCSI cards, DVD Rom drives and repair the timecode reader section of that one particular card. They also replaced the reader when I got the player back.

-Monte

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-17-2009 01:59 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Measure between pins 5 and 6 on the DB9 cable that plugs into the TCR. If you have 5 VDC, then your supply voltage is good.

--jhawk

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2009 01:34 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no fuse in the Timecode reader head. Power from the head comes from the player, the DTS-6 has a fuse for the 5V power located on the 422 board,(the one with the status LED's). Fuses are located near the top of the board by the rear connector. On early units this fuse was soldered in and looks like a small reisitor, later units had the plug in type fuse, it was changed again to the resetable type fuses in 6D's. Prior to blaming failure of the LED verify you are getting voltage to the head. On the 9 pin TC cable pin 6 should be ground and pin 5 is the +5V Verify you are getting power to the head

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2009 07:48 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful, DO NOT short the 5VDC to ground (or anywhere else). To see if the LED (or wiring to it) is bad, check the voltage across it (where the wires connect to the board). If the LED is bad, it will not be drawing any current, and there will not be a voltage drop across it's current limiting resistor, so you will see the 5 volt supply voltage across it. If there is no voltage, but there is 5 volts being supplied to the reader, then check the current limiting resistor. It is R15 a 360 ohm resistor. A good red LED will have about 2 volts across it. BTW, an LED is a current opperated device, not voltage opperated.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: