Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projector bulb disposal? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Projector bulb disposal?
Ron Davis
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 11:54 AM      Profile for Ron Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have heaps of old, dead xenon bulbs from the projectors but everyone is afraid to throw them out as they fear it could end civilization as we know it. Is there a safe way to dispose of these? Should we encase them in concrete and sink them in the ocean? Loaded into a rocket and sent to the sun?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks all!

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-08-2008 12:18 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually just wrap them up in several inches' worth of newspaper and towels, smash them with a hammer, and toss the remains. Be sure to wear a protective facemask when doing this.
One of the electrodes (the anode?) is made of tungsten; if you save enough of these, you might be able to get some cash for them at a scrap-metal dealer (I've never tried).

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 12:28 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is how I dispose of my old xenon bulbs. It required the original box the bulb was in, and duct tape. Substantial gloves and the "blast suit" should be worn. This can take place in the booth (if it's a substantial hall-like booth like the current multiplex booths) but must be done in an isolated area. Due to the loud noise these bulbs may make, this should be done before the theatre opens or after close.
Place xenon bulb, without protective cover if the cover is hard plastic, into original (or similar) cardboard box. Close box.
Wrap the box with duct tape. You don't have to wrap it completely up like a mummy, just enough to keep the glass shards in the box.
Take the wrapped box and, as hard as you can, toss the box onto a hard floor away from you. (most booth floors are hard enough to bust the bulb.)
If the bulb is huge, you may want to toss bulb from behind something substantial, like a lamphouse console.
The duct tape should reenforce the box enough to contain the bulb's glass shards.
Then place the box in a trash container.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 01:19 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the UK and probably the rest of Europe, spent lamps (and not just Xenon short arc lamps) have to be disposed of according to the relevant national and local laws. Many of the lamp supply companies will provide a bin on site, which they collect when it's full. In this bin go fluorescent tubes etc. Xenon lamps usually get sent back to the manufacturer for disposal/recycling.

There is of course a cost involved with all this green-ness [Roll Eyes]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-08-2008 01:23 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toss all of them, all at once into a big fire. [beer]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-08-2008 01:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I take them outside, stand behind a dumpster and toss them over the dumpster against a brick wall, then clean up the mess afterwards.

Yes, those big boys do make a nasty pop when they get busted - you can almost feel the concussion waves when they do.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 01:29 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day when I worked for a company back in Michigan when I took over the booth we had about 3 dozen old bulbs just chilling upstairs. After a while I got sick of looking at them. We were located next to a bar in downtown. So around 2am people would start leaving the bar and heading to there cars. Our emergency exit door on the booth was located in the back of the building and under it was our dumpster. The bar exit was right there as well.

Nothing like dropping a Xenon bulb from 20 feet in to an empty dumpster. The sound that comes from it sounds like a Shotgun. I've never seen drunk people run for cover so fast in my life.

That was one fun night.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 03:00 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
love THAT story! we dont have any fun ways to dispose of ours. as with Pete, in the UK the manufacturer seems to have to get them back... thats IF they survive the trip in the lorry back to them....

cant imagine the shock on the drivers face as he thinks hes just had a blowout, but infact its those damned bulbs going (all 7 that we have sitting here).

I think thats why we 'collect' them. saves any issues when sending them back. One day ill chuck em and film the results. just need to add some molotov's.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 03:11 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading or heard somewhere in the UK, that TLS sell the "Xenon Distructor", it is in basic a long plasic tube with a plunger and the Xenon is sealed and you hammer in the Plunger on the side that degases the Lamp and it is safe to dispose of the Lamp.

The real test for anyone who is experienced is to degas a 15kw Xenon Lamp - now that is a real Big Lamp [Big Grin]

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 03:26 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooh ooh

we have A big black tube... its like REALLY tough (ive been told) and we store all old tube bulbs in there... but not xenons.

i want to think of alternative uses for old xenons... although even the oldest have a chance to blow up in your face.

oh, and is it really an explosion? i mean fireballs and stuff? or is it a puff of gas and lots of little glass shards? cos if its the latter... all this talk of blowing them up in the trash seems a little exaggerated, in my mind. sure they blow, but everyone says its alot of fun to do... so?

Alastair Comrie
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Alastair Comrie   Email Alastair Comrie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theres a few videos on youtube of people destroying Xenons in interesting ways. Like with a samurai sword...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lyC4X38Xx8

Personally i just wrap it up in all the original packaging and give the box a bash on the floor. Seems to do the trick and is great fun if u sneak up behind someone and do it. [Big Grin]

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 03:49 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does it really make a bang sound?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-08-2008 03:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

and quartz shrapnel.

-Aaron

Alastair Comrie
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 03:54 PM      Profile for Alastair Comrie   Email Alastair Comrie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea like Kurt said, it sounds like a shotgun going off next to you [Big Grin]

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 03:58 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow. so i guess when installing a new xenon, the effects would be pretty explosive! they always seem quite tough bulbs to be honest. not that ive knocked em about, of course. some of my old colleagues used to almost be scared of handling new ones.. im nonplussed about it really. they seem ok when youre wearing all that kevlar.
so yeah just counted, we have 13 old xenons here at the moment...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: