Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hello! and question about MICROCINE TAU 35MM PORTABLE

Author Topic: Hello! and question about MICROCINE TAU 35MM PORTABLE
Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2008 07:29 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone, what a great website! I have been advised to post this question on this website as I am told there are lots of knowledgeable people on it and from what i can see so far that looks spot on.

I have a MICROCINE TAU 700.1000 35MM portable xenon projector. All seem to work fine except for the odd behaviour of the spool arm motors. I don't have an instruction manual for the machine (and this could be the problem!) and Microcine have not been able to supply me with one. I cant seem to make the take up motor turn on its own. The only way it will run is with the motor on the feed spool turning anti clockwise at the same time as the take up spindle rotating clockwise? Does anyone know if this is correct? It doesn't seem right as it forces you to pay the film out emulsion out and conterclockwise also the feed motor turns at such a pace as I'm sure it will just spill film all over the place? Referring to the picture of the controls below: if i press the 2nd from left button this causes the machine to go into fast rewind, which seems fine. The 3rd blue button is all stop, once again fine. Its the 4th and 5th buttons that are confusing, if I press the 4th buton marked with a forward arrow the spools start turning take up clockwise (but very quickly) and feed anti clock. If I press the 4th and 5th together then the projector motor kicks in. Surely what I need is the motor turning over and the take up motor running clockwise and the feed spool should be gravity fed by the top sprocket? (the 6th and 7th buttons are for the lamp.)

I will be very grateful of any help or advice that anyone out there may be able to offer!

Best wishes,
Jon
 - [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-04-2008 11:52 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot speak to your particular equipment.

Despite RP39's recommendation for emulsion-in winding, standard practice still remains the S-wind, with the supply reel turning anticlockwise and the takeup turning clockwise.

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2008 12:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
RP39 = [Roll Eyes]

Why people continue to quote that SERIOUSLY OUTDATED study on filmstocks that are not even being printed on today is beyond me.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-05-2008 05:24 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have run one of these machines, it's a long time ago, but I think it fed clockwise, which is the more common arrangement over here. Many machines will feed either way, some will only work one way, or the other. Feeding anti-clockwise is the standard practice in America, where it seems to be almost universal. Most of the machines that I've seen feeding anti-clockwise over here were older American Simplexes, with spoolboxes and firetraps, designed for nitrate film.

When the feed spool is turning anti-clockwise how much tension is there on it? If there's a lot, then it's quite likely that the projector has been designed to be able to rewind on the machine, as many portables can, and it's in rewind mode. if there's not much, i.e. you can stop the feed spool turning with just a light touch from a finger, then it's probably just applying a bit of back tension to the spool, I've also seen this done, though a simple friction arrangement is much more common. Driving the feed spool backwards to apply tension is more common on tape recorders than on pojectors. In either of these two cases, the spool being driven anti-clockwise would indicate that it's intended to feed clockwise. Sorry, I missed one sentence of your post, you said that the machine can rewind.

If I remember correctly, this machine can take 6k spools, and it would be unusual with these, or anything smaller, for the feed spool to be driven forwards while the machine is running; it is sometimes done with much larger spools but the spool would be driven slower than it needs to turn. You say it is turning quickly, which seems to rule out this possibility anyway, so I would say one of the other two applies.

Check how much tension there is on the feed spool, check it with a spool, not by holding the spindle in your fingers. If there's a lot of tension then it sounds like the machine is trying to run forwards and rewind at the same time; this might be caused by something like a switch or relay sticking. if there's very little tension then the machine may just be intended to feed against that tension, though as I said it's not common on projectors. Either way, it sounds like it's designed to feed clockwise.

Can you post a better photo, or a drawing, of the symbols on the buttons; I can't make them out on your photo.

If you can't get it working, and nobody else can help then I could have a look, Oxfordshire isn't too far from me, and while I only ran one of these that we hired in for an event on one day, and it was quite some years ago now, seeing one again might jog some memories.

Do you have some old scrap film, a couple of trailers or something similar, that you can used to test the machine? Old triacetate film is better than modern polyester for this, as if anything goes wrong it will break before something else does.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 06:04 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stephen,
Thank you very much for your helpful reply and your offer of help which is greatly appreciated.

I think what you say about the machine trying to run the spools in take up and rewind at the same time is correct as the spools spin very quickly and its very hard even to slow them let alone stop them between your fingers, so far to fast for normal take up, maybe its also possible to wind films quickly the other way to aid make up. It does take 6000 reels.

I will send a more detailed photo later to your email address if thats ok and would appreciate any further help or suggestions. I will have a look at the relays to see if there is any obvious cause. Your offer to have a look is most welcome, i will examine the machine more carefully before I drag you out here though!

Best wishes,

Jon

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-05-2008 07:12 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The speed that the spool turns at doesn't really indicate very much. When I was at primary school we had a Truvox tape recorder, was this the same Truvox that later made floor polishers I wonder, and if you pressed play with no tape in it, and disabled the cut-out, the feed spool would turn backwards at a very high speed, but there was very little torque there; just a light touch with a finger would stop it. You say the spool is difficult to slow down, so that seems to rule out the possibility that you projector is doing something similar.

It really does sound like it's trying to run and rewind at the same time. Do the buttons all feel and sound ok? Could there be anything mechanically wrong with the latching arrangement between them? Have a look at the switches themselves; is there any sign of wires having become detached, or shorted out? Are any of them sticking? Has the machine been out of use for some time?

I only ran a short of about fifteen minutes, several times during the day, so it was all on one spool; nothing was made up, and there were no changeovers. We only hired one machine. I spooled up from the core, and rewound, by hand not on the machine. Some portables can be used to make up prints on large spools, usually by winding onto the feed spool; you then swap the spools over to rewind. Sometimes hey use the normal rewind mode to do this, though this isn't ideal, as it's far too fast for inspection and making-up. Other machines have s slower make-up mode.

I can't remember the details of the machine, as I said, I only ran it for one day, and that would have been in the early to mid '80s, but If I could see some detailed pictures, or even the machine itself, it might jog my memory.

Though the mech can be similar, the film handling on portables is often very different to it is on cinema machines; most cinema machines don't rewind film for example, and they're not designed for making up prints (ok, the Fedi Solo was, but that's an exception) they're designed to be portable, and not require too much other equipment to be lugged around with them, so these functions tend to be built into the projector.

Feel free to e-mail me some pictures.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-07-2008 10:30 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, having looked at the picture you e-mailed me, I've sent you an e-mail with some suggestions of things to check.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: