Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strange noise on front speakers

Author Topic: Strange noise on front speakers
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last two times I've been in Cineworld Bradford auditorium 4, I've noticed a strange noise coming from the front speakers. The noise is hard to describe; somewhere between a hiss and a buzz. The closest thing I can think of is if you have an FM radio next to your computer. If the FM station it's tuned into is currently silent, you might pick up a slight buzzing from the computer's interference.

The noise is not very loud (compared to the normal volume they run movies at), but it is noticeable during the intermission when no sound is playing. The noise level never changes; it's always constant.
The noise is also there while the film is running, but you can only really hear it during silent parts of the movie. When there's lots of film sound, it drowns out the noise - there's no reduction in quality that I can hear.

The fact that the noise remains during intermission, whether silent or with non-sync music, seems to suggest one of the amplifier units is at fault. Is it possible that the amplifier is picking up some noise from a nearby conduit or other piece of equipment? Could a component in the amplifier have failed?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-01-2008 05:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would call the latter since you say that it's constant with N/S and with movie audio...amp's getting tired, loose ground connections or caps inside drying out .. - Monte

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 01:40 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it is a grounding issue. As you and Monte suggest, it could be a bad amp. It could also be due to a poor wiring job in the sound rack. I have run across many theaters that have had hums/buzzes like that, and it turned out to be improper wiring (negatives not connected, no sheilds!) from the processor output to the amplifier inputs. Rewiring eliminated the problem.

Christopher Howland
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 03:45 PM      Profile for Christopher Howland   Email Christopher Howland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the exact same problem, i thought either the amplifier was going or there was a ground loop problem in the wiring or something.

However, i was fiddling around in the booth, and saw the FM transmitter for the hearing devices sitting on the back of the amplifier rack!!

I moved it away, and it immidiately solved the problem. The amps must not be shielded well enough or something.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-02-2008 09:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a good idea if you posted the amp make processor make and model and monitor type

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2008 02:11 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or perhaps you are in one of those situations where you have power cables running along speaker. On the other hand, light dimmers often are a source of humming/buzzing/noise in speakers.
Demetris

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2008 12:55 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetigs All

They're Ashly FTX-2001, Ashly crossovers, CP650 with BTS MS-X monitor. However, it's most likely to be the transformers for the neons on the outside of the building. Some cinemas site them here behind the screen, particularly if the screen is on an outside wall with signage on them. Very confusing at times, especially if you don't know they're there!

Regards

David

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-03-2008 01:08 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try unplugging the amplifier inputs to see if you are then "clean." If you are, then your problem is between the Dolby and the amps. That amp & processor can be fussy at times, but, I assure you, it can also be tamed.

Some monitors (that have a way to listen before and after the power amp) can be touchy because problems on the speaker lines can be coupled back to an earlier stage. If you suspect this, unplug the "processor out" cables on the monitor and run just the speaker out for awhile. Louis

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that some auditoriums play a level of white noise to help cancel out noise from adjoining theatres,(or am I going mad and just dreamt this?!)? I've heard similar sounds myself and since they where from the surrounds, assumed they where for noise cancellation. [Smile]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 11:40 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Jonathan...
There is a pink noise generator used for testing purposes by the technicians but these are processor cards they carry with them, not permanently installed in the processor.
There should be no buzz in the sound at all. Often the sound in the auditorium itself would drown out any sound leaking from nearby auditoriums.
Accoustics and sound dampening is what is used to combat sound leakage from auditoriums. This is a Construction issue, not a sound system issue.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-06-2008 04:53 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back "in the day:" sometimes air handler noise WAS used to mask sound coming through walls. Other times it was unplanned.

I've only done that once, later slowing down the air since the walls were "good enough." Louis

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 06:14 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a similar problem in Swindon. It was something to do with the Deaf loop (induction loop). When it was unplugged the noise went away. No cure was found so it was decided not to have the loop in that screen.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 07:27 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed similar problems in a number of Cineworld sites.

This is made more noticeable by the lack of walk in music [Roll Eyes]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2008 04:20 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing i've noticed recently at this Cineworld site is how badly the volume of the SR and SRD is matched. The last film I watched in screen 4 was 'Broken Aces', everytime it defaulted into SR the volume dropped dramatically and all the audio shifted into the front left channel only.

Were-as screen 16 is the other way around: The SRD is ok, but if it dropps into SR, be prepaired to have all the ear wax and cobwebbs blown out of your ears.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 01:46 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that...
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Try unplugging the amplifier inputs to see if you are then "clean." If you are, then your problem is between the Dolby and the amps. That amp & processor can be fussy at times, but, I assure you, it can also be tamed.
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: