Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Edge coding machine? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Edge coding machine?
Steve Beverly
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2007 01:02 AM      Profile for Steve Beverly   Email Steve Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This maybe more of a film making or more precisely, film editing question but does anyone know where I can pick up a 35mm edge coding machine fir old school editing? I've never seen one come up on Ebay except for and ancient 16mm coding machine in terrible condition and haven't had any luck with web searches. Christie's in LA used to have one listed for rent but they don't even have that any more. Thanks-Steve

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-14-2007 05:08 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's called an "Acmade" machine. I thought that Christy's sold these, but maybe not. Someone else will know if they are still manufactured.

You might try Dwight Cody at the Boston Connection. He provides edge coding services, but I think it's 16mm only.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-14-2007 07:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Acmade is very expensive to buy even on the used market... you may want to consider coding it yourself with felt tip pen or typewriter [Wink]

Mark

Steve Beverly
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2007 09:28 PM      Profile for Steve Beverly   Email Steve Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, I was aware Acmade built edge coding machines but there are some other companies out there that manufactured them as well, I can't think of their names off the top of my head, I think Moviola was one. I'll try Dwight and see what he has to say. I wasn't aware you could actually code film using a Sharpie or typewriter, how does that work? You would have to get it exactly and consistently at the right regular footage increment. Can you elaborate? [Cool]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-14-2007 10:38 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Felt Sharphie and using a syncronizer ( sync block ) to mark footage on the edge of the stock [Cool] Done that for many a short project [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-14-2007 11:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I was joking.... A used Acmade was in the 3500.00 range back in the late 90's if you could find one. Probably higher today. Using a felt tip pen for short runs is certianly doable as Richard mentions....

Mark

Steve Beverly
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2007 02:35 AM      Profile for Steve Beverly   Email Steve Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if I can't find one, that may very well be what I have to end up doing. The only advantage I have is most people have gone the DI /non-linear computer route for editing so if I can find one, it may have come down considerably. The crappy 16 mm one I spoke of went for like 2 or 3 hundred if I remember correctly so MAYBE I'll get lucky. [Cool]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-15-2007 04:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Fowler
Felt Sharphie and using a syncronizer
[rofl] Richard, you're funny! [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-15-2007 04:45 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
A new Acmade 35mm Codemaster is well over US$16K... good luck!

Steve Beverly
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2007 01:29 AM      Profile for Steve Beverly   Email Steve Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New? Who said anything about new? I haven't bought a new piece of film equipment sense.....come to think of it I've NEVER bought a new piece of film equipment. The closest I've ever come is my refurbished Kinor 35C Rotoscope 5000 which was rebuilt and sold for the original customer by this house that did the work. Because I'm poor and broke.....and cheap, I ONLY buy things I can get a deal on. What's the old saying "Anyone can pay retail" [Big Grin] I'll find one from the 70s or 80s in good working condition and go with that. I don't need bells and whistles or even cosmetic beauty, just basic decent functionality, let someone ELSE pay 16K, I'd rather buy it 5 years later for 6K! [thumbsup]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-16-2007 01:32 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Duh..who cares dumbass? My post was a FYI... Fuck off! [thumbsup]

Steve Beverly
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2007 02:57 AM      Profile for Steve Beverly   Email Steve Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I was gonna unload on you, I even posted a reply as ridicules and stupid as your's but it's obvious you have a lot of problems so why don't you just not reply to my threads anymore. I don't need to get into some pissin' fight with a fool.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve-- Phil has been in this business far longer than I would
care to admit. To his credit he uses humor quite often in his
posts...which most of us find entertaining. So take Phil with a
grain of salt. He IS a good guy! [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-16-2007 07:15 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yawn...

Steve Beverly
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2007 08:12 PM      Profile for Steve Beverly   Email Steve Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you were kidding. I'm REALLY glad I edited my post. It originally was....let's say....rude. [Big Grin] I can use all the expert expert advice I can get and have read your "2 page" bio so it's obvious at least to me, you have a lot of experience with the kind of equipment I will be using, as I'm a complete novice to projection, your input would be of great use and greatly appreciated. I have a lot of respect for Vietnam vets and film professionals in general so let me apologize for not realizing your post was not a serious one.-Steve [Cool]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: