Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Is this sprocket runoff?

Author Topic: Is this sprocket runoff?
Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2007 03:51 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered this when changing a trailer...
 -
the rest of the print is fine, however I am confused as to why this brand new trailer came to us with this damage. It cant have happened in our projectors, as the rest of the film and trailers are fine. Are trailers allowed to be sent to cinemas with damage like this?

Peter

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-10-2007 07:40 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks just like an edge crease from a shitty wind...is it all the way through or just a section of the trailer?

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2007 09:36 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is constant throughout the trailer. There are definite pinpricks/indents in the middle of the dolby soundtrack. It looks like runoff, but Im not sure! Just thought it was worth posting to see what everyone else thinks.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2007 10:06 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a print of "Darjeeling Limited" with this type of damage throughout reel 3. The there were pin-pricks between the sprockets as you describe and also the one edge of the film had was "creased" almost throughout the whole reel. It looked to me like the damage occured at a bad splice which caused one side of the film to jump partly off a sprocket- - but I don't know how it could have run for more than half the reel that way without jumping totally off the sprocket. Maybe it finally did- - the damage ended at a 2nd splice. Some of the sprockets were also "nicked" causing very slight vertical instability every time that section went through the projector. You could hear it too every time it went through the machine. There was about 750ft of damage.

PS> I got one of those shirts like yours after you posted where to get one. It arrived last week. I'm waiting to show up at a big theater staff meeting this weekend to wear it. I might even order a 2nd one.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-10-2007 02:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looks like a pad roller was too tight over the sprocket causing the film to ride up on the teeth, or a simple misthread.

The pad roller should have the clearance of two film thicknesses inbetween roller and sprocket when closed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: