Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DVD - 35MM (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DVD - 35MM
Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2007 08:09 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

Was just woundering is it possible to put a dvd movie into a 35mm format?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-09-2007 09:03 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most anything is possible...if there is enough money or if quality is low enough.

In the 1960's we had b/w 35mm films made of "Top of the Pops" clips to show in cinemas during the "British Invasion." (Beatles, etc for the younger set.) (Each scan line was in perfect focus, but nothing else was. Sound was OK, though)

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2007 09:38 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. Know any places where to get this done?

Joop de Gruiter
Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2007 10:30 AM      Profile for Joop de Gruiter   Email Joop de Gruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you want to do this?

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2007 10:39 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to go back to the source format from which the DVD was made (DV Cam maybe?) and laser record the image to a 35mm negative. It may be possible to increase the perceived resolution of the source image via image processing, but ultimately the quality will be a reflection of the source material.

For sound, the original track will have to be re-recorded or even re-laid for 35mm Dolby SR purposes; more likely a Mono re-mix would be better.

Even using these basic techniques will incur considerable expense.

Many London-based laboratories and post-production facilities offer or have access to laser recording facilities, and it may still be possible to use the lower-cost method of shooting the 35mm neg from a high-definition monitor specially set up for the purpose.

What was the source material for the DVD?

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2007 06:15 PM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joop de Gruiter - I was just woundering thats all. I like the 35mm ways and our screens will show movies on DVD

Brian Guckian - I was looking at turning latest movies onto dvd onto 35mm so i can have a collection on dvd and 35mm. I used to work as a projectionist and the projects im working on now will use just normal dvds which i miss using 35mm film so thats why i want to change dvds into 35mm

Do you know of any London-based laboratories or what to search in google to find places like this?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-09-2007 08:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No laboratory will do a current movie onto 35mm from a DVD for you because that would be breaking a multitude of copyright laws and open them up to huge financial penalties.

Most likely, the only thing you could legally get made from DVD into 35mm would be something you produced yourself.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-09-2007 10:08 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, this is a lot of money. Probably anywhere from around USD$2,000 if it's done the cheapest/lowest quality way possible (kinescope!) up to 10x (or more) to do it properly.

--jhawk

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-10-2007 04:08 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless I am misunderstanding you, you are working in a theatre that has 35mm projection equipment but also runs DVD projection? If that actually is the case, then, why not just book 35mm film instead of showing a DVD? Just book the title from the 35mm distributor and run that. It will be a lot cheaper than trying to copy DVDs (which as Mike rightly points out, is very, VERY illegal and something which Hollywood studios consider worse than terrorism and so act upon it accordingly).

If this is not a commercial theatre, you can still book 35mm prints from non-theatrical distributors. Here in the states and Canada we have Swank Motion Pictures that handle most studio releases. I would assume there is some equivelant in the UK. Where do you book your DVDs? At least over here, whether you are booking a DVD. a 16mm or 35mm print from the non-theatrical distributor, the rental is the same, usually between $300 - $500 for titles a few years old and up to $1000 with near-current releases. The rental is the same because you are actually paying for the license to exhibit. 35mm will cost more due to the added shipping cost of the heavy print, but the licensing fee is the same.

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2007 02:42 PM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank Angel The idea was for a new cinema that i was starting.

Im thinking now to stick with a digital projector which will probley be cheaper in the long term.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-10-2007 03:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just book films in 35mm?

DVD is a really crappy presentation format and you can look forward to lots of on-screen menus, unskippable trailers, region-coded disks, subtitles and/or soundtracks that need to be selected at start time, menus that don't work, poorly authored disks that look like crap, disks that don't play, disks that play halfway and then stop, and cheap players that fail at the worst times.

For public exhibition of material available only on video, you would be better off getting the material in a more reliable professional format. Digi-Beta and HDCAM seem to be the most popular such formats at this time, at least in the US for festival screenings and such. Figure $10k-40k for the plaback deck. You will also need a good 3-chip DLP projector and maybe a scaler; by the time you are done, the cost will far exceed that of a new 35mm setup (to say nothing of used).

Trust me: if you're going to show video, DVD is just about the bottom of the barrel in reliability (even VHS is better) and quality.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2007 04:20 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jamie Glossop
Im thinking now to stick with a digital projector which will probley be cheaper in the long term.

Um 35mm projectors second hand are getting very cheap, some that I have been offered are cheaper than a basic home HD 720 p video projector!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-10-2007 04:46 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't understand why anyone would want to transfer from DVD onto 35mm, unless, just possibly, it was for long-term preservation purposes (e.g. you just happened to be present when Gordon Brown was assassinated, holding your DVD camcorder, a la Zapruder).

If you want 35mm for screening, then as everyone else has said, just book a 35mm print from a distributor. If you're an independent cinema or film society which is too small for the distributors to deal with you directly, there are several booking agencies through which you can work, e.g. Troy. If you want to legally book a recent mainstream feature film on DVD for a theatrical or group screening, e.g. in a lecture theatre or pub which has DVD screening facilities but not film, then that can be done, too. For example, Filmbank, which used to be the main distributor of 16mm Hollywood features for non-theatrical screenings in the UK, will now license DVD screenings. Their DVDs are specially authored with a high bitrate and no menus, warning notices or North Korean subtitles you can't get rid of which, as Scott points out, can be a presentation hazard when attempting to screen a retail DVD.

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2007 06:10 PM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also http://www.themplc.co.uk/

which allows you to buy any dvd from any retail store as long as its made from one of the studios provided on thier list.

Film bank also allow you to charge per screening per person which they take upto 35% of each ticket sales

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-10-2007 06:27 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about transferring 35mm to DVD?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: