Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rectifier Ingnition problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rectifier Ingnition problem
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-07-2007 03:36 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to get rid of a rectifier buzz by running the lamps for several hours and then tightening all the contacts in the rectifier while nuts and bolts were hot.

When I repowered the rectifier, the buzz was deeper and louder before even trying to strike the lamp. The lamp would not strike (though electricity was going through it)

Any suggestions as to what I may have screwed up?

Using Christie CC20U with Strong X60-D and Osram 2000w lamps. Manual ingnition

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-07-2007 05:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the open circuit voltage...sounds like you might have just blown a diode...they tend to make the rectifier sound much deeper and would cause the situation you described.

Steve

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-07-2007 06:17 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's where I've heard that noise before;>

Thankfully, we're closed for the month, so I won't be losing any shows.

Thanks

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-08-2007 08:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to change out all six diodes so you don't have a repeat performance. Three forword and three reverse 85 amp 1200 PIV are what you will need.

If you want the latest greatest diodes and not have to pay some cash happy dealer 35 bucks apiece get the SEMIKRON SKN/SKR 71 from Allied Electronics. These diodes are much higher quality than the crappy IR diodes that Christie uses and actually cost less than the IR's. You will need to drill the mounting holes out for the metric stud on these diodes. BTW: Irem uses Semikrons in all their new product.

If you replace the diodes and still have the buzz from loose windings which is a common Christie problem on older units it can be remedied by tapping in thin linoleum strips between the sides of the winding and the iron core. Loose core plates can be tended to with varnish or silicon seal but you will need to force the stuff in between the plates to get them to quiet down.

Mark

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-09-2007 12:30 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, a bad diode.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Three forword and three reverse 85 amp 1200 PIV are what you will need.
Mark: The diodes I removed are marked 70H30A and 70HR30A which I'm guessing is 30 amps. Is that correct, and if so, why go to 85amp? Protection?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-09-2007 12:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a 70amp diode

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-09-2007 01:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larger diodes = Better reliability. Of course some techs and dealers don't want you to know that....

The IR diodes are quite inferior to the Semikron stuff. The Semikron is closer in quality to a mil-spec type of diode but is not really a Mil-Spec part.... just made better.

The 70H30 and its mate are only 300 PIV rated.... quite low and typical of the diodes Christie used in years gone by. Christie still uses IR but has gone to a much higher PIV rating these days.

Mark

Mark

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-09-2007 05:10 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark and Gordon:
Thanks. Obviously, electronics is not my strong point. I'll see what I can find in town (pickings are slim around here). I guess I have time to try online also

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-09-2007 07:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just call Allied Electronics... makes it easy!

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-10-2007 09:10 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 70H30A is an IR diode rated 70A and 300V. IR rates the voltage differently from Semikron (peak vs continuous voltage), so this would be about a 600V Semikron rating.
The 70HR30 is the same rating but reverse polarity, you have to make sure you get the right ones back where they belong. It's common to use these reverse diodes in rectifiers because it eliminates a lot of expensive insulation and/or extra heat sinks. You absolutely must use 3 forward and 3 reverse diodes and install them in the right holes.
If you can get IR, I think the best choice would be 85H80 and 85HR80, larger amp ratings are in a different case that won't fit. The Semikron ones suggested will require a slight enlarging of the mounting holes, nothing serious and you can still use the 1/4-28 stud IR types on future replacements.
You will need some semiconductor heat sink goop to help keep the new diodes cool. This is available at Radio Shack (unless they needed the rack space for toys or ipod accessories and dropped the product). Just put a thin coating on the diode flat around the stud. Use the new washer(s) and nut, torque the nut tight enough to compress the spring lock washer most of the way if it has that type, if you get the nut with attached belleville washer it should be tightened almost flat.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-10-2007 09:23 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the rundown.

quote: Dave Macaulay
The Semikron ones suggested will require a slight enlarging of the mounting holes, nothing serious and you can still use the 1/4-28 stud IR types on future replacements.
Nothing serious as in take it to a machine shop to rebore the holes in the diode rack?

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-10-2007 10:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IR actually makes the 85 series all of the way up to 1600PIV (85H160 and 85HR160) in the DO-5 package. They are not too much pricier than the lesser rated units.

Christie has gone to the 150A package (DO-8, I think its package style is) for all rectifiers...even the 2K.

What is weird about Mark's spec sheet is that they list both 1/4-28 (what a DO-5 uses) and 8mm...which is much closer to 5/16"

As for boring out the diode holes...no machine shop is needed...just a drill and a good bit (and a vacuum).

Steve

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-10-2007 11:45 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
What is weird about Mark's spec sheet is that they list both 1/4-28 (what a DO-5 uses) and 8mm...which is much closer to 5/16"
Just talked to Allied and Semikron. The diode does come in both a metric and American size.

Allied is out of 1200 at the moment. Will 1600 work?

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-10-2007 01:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The higher the PIV the better (1600 is better than 1200) but normally it comes with a cost increase...can be a little or a lot...in large quantities even little increases add up but not in a 6-piece order.

If they have the 1/4-28 version...go for that, it will have the same thread/hole size as your current diodes.

Steve

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-10-2007 01:24 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, ninety-six cents. I splurged and got the 1600's. 36 piece minimum for them to order more 1200 from the factory. I just don't have that many rectifiers.

Thanks for all of the advice

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: