Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ohms Law Explanation (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ohms Law Explanation
Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2007 03:10 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i understand the basics.... maths was never a strong point for me... so hopefully with further training I can get up to scratch on that.

My key strengths for this interview will be my actually approach to the job. Mathematics is always important, which is why i had to ask about ohms. My previous proj manager has helped me out with this... and really I shouldnt have a problem.

I just really want to make this job work for me. in a good way! not commandeering the whole place but just to have the power to guide the company into the future. [Smile]

Ohms... ok so I=E/R ... if E is reduced and R is increased, I will decrease. And vice-versa. Makes rough sense.

to be truthful, I have already shown my knowledge of the projectors and how they all work, solving issues etc. Plus my ability with the paperwork and Rota etc.... Should bode well.

I will post in my interview topic later how I feel it went. Dont know how long it will take to hear the result.

Only two people have applied for the role, and I am friends with the other guy, so either way it will work out for the better. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-30-2007 03:25 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..to add to the Power thing: I call it the "pie" formula - being P=IxE.

Simply put, Power (wattage) = current (I) times (E) voltage - the simple way we chek how much wattage is the bulb using by taking the amp reading and times it by the DC voltage coming out of the power supply.

When you open a new bulb box (esp with the Christies..) there is a card there that the technician at Christie has written down the initial voltage, current and wattage run on that new bulb ..which is the same as the formula above.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2007 09:23 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
excellent,. thankyou all so much.

Just had my interview for manager. couldnt have done it any better and I made a good impression. Now its a waiting game.

I really had to show them what i knew about the ohms law and apparently i got it just right! whoo!

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2007 03:08 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
y=ASin(wt+/-phi)

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2007 12:15 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok now im confused. [Razz]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-01-2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the equation for AC voltage time dependence

V(t) = Vm * sin (wt + phi)
Where Vm is max/peak voltage
w is angular frequency; same as 2*Pi*f where f is the regular frequency
And phi is the phase difference between current and voltage.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2007 09:18 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
..to add to the Power thing: I call it the "pie" formula - being P=IxE.
To make things simpler, think "West Virginia," for watts equaling volts times amperes, or W=VA.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-02-2007 02:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, that works too.

Just like the little 'story' to represent the electronic color code:

00-Black
01-Brown
02-Red
03-Orange
04-Yellow
05-Green
06-Blue
07-Violet
08-Grey
09-White

"Brahma Bulls Raised On Young Grass Brings Very Good Wages"

..and I'm sure there is plenty of 'story' variations to represent this code.

-Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-02-2007 09:46 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not the one I use.....Violet gives willingly! Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-02-2007 09:55 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But only to "bad boys"

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2007 10:52 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Bad boys...." brought a real smile to my face. Thanks for making me recollect that.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-02-2007 06:32 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way is just do what I did, and you'll never have to sit there and count on your fingers. Take three colors a day, and everytime you see one of those colors that day, think of the number for that color. In less than a week, you'll learn the color code by sight.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 09:20 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, tim, thats a good way to learn it. Also, it never hurts to have this all written down infront of you anyway.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-03-2007 11:20 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always had trouble with Violet "giving", apparently silver and gold were required.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 02:22 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember them talking about Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: