Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projection Manager Interview (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projection Manager Interview
Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2007 07:06 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Tomorrow at midday I will be walking into an interview for projection manager. I have done many many interviews before, but this time, I REALLY want to get the job.

I have been forewarned (by a stroke of luck and very good will) by my manager that I will be tested on a few things including...

- Understanding power/electricity inputs and outputs of our projectors

- Understanding electronic resistance (corr im confused by this one - geniunely)

- having a full understanding of three phase. (I know the basics, but please, if anyone can fill me in?)

- They will also likely present me with a, or possibly a few scenarios... I presume 'what would you do in a brain wrap situation?' or 'you go to start a showing and the bulb wont light'...

Has anyone had a similar setup for projection manager interviews, and should i have to know any specifics?

- Knowing components and where they are/what they do. I presume I should just look through the technical diagrams of our lamphouses/projectors/platters and go from there?

And finally, anybody have any interview advice? I have never attempted to go for a manager position before, so I really dont know what to expect.

Cheers everyone. (once again!)

Peter

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2007 07:31 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter,

Congratulations on your interview and the opportunity for advancement. Please note that no ONE knows everything about your situation. The title of the position you are seeking is MANAGER. Although the knowledge of electricity, basic electronics and the mechanics of your specific installation are necessary, your employer will want to know about your MANAGEMENT skills.

Will you be responsible for directing others in the operation of the booth? How are you at company policy knowledge? What are the ways you are allowed to supervise, train and, if necessary, reprimand your subordinates?

Know what your responsibilities will be as manager. Will you be expected to do any maintenance of equipment beyond the routine cleaning and threading of day to day operation? Know the limits of your authority to service or adjust equipment in your booth. When can you adjust something and when must you call in the company approved technician?

I wish you the best in your new career step. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to grow and improve your skills with both the staff and the equipment.

KEN [thumbsup]

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2007 03:28 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
Know what your responsibilities will be as manager. Will you be expected to do any maintenance of equipment beyond the routine cleaning and threading of day to day operation? Know the limits of your authority to service or adjust equipment in your booth. When can you adjust something and when must you call in the company approved technician?
You will also expected to implement the Company's H&S Management of the Projection and Technical areas and keep acurate records as well Risk Assements/Booth Audits etc and will also be the site Techniacal representive for the Comapany for outside Contractors working on site.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2007 03:40 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay. Well even though I am exceptionally keen to learn, and so far have been the sites best projectionist for learning the ropes... I know how to be a good manager.... but what I need is the proper training.

I will do the job really well, as long as I have the backup. my aim has always, and will forever be, to run the best projection booth in the company, and to put on THE best show available. I have succeeded in this pretty much 100% since i started 4 months ago, and my general manager is in support of this. Even though i am not fully up to speed, its my enthusiasm for the job that has helped me get this far.

Surely becoming a manager is something they are looking to train someone up to do? Sure, I should know alot alredy, and I do... not just the overhead stuff, but the complexities of what everything is INSIDE the projector, and 'behind the scenes' too. I owe all this to my mentor, Rob. He truly was the best teacher and I owe any and all successes so far to him.

This manager position is my chance to take everything forward. my life, and my ambitions. I love cinema, and I love Empire Cinemas. its a truly magical place to be, every single day. I couldnt be happier.

This job is so right for me. My general manager is sitting in on the interview and he WANTS me to be manager. Yes im only 22, but Im willing to take the company forward. I already have taken steps to improve the booth.

What else can i do but go in confident, and enthusiastic? i just want to put on a good show. Thats all I ever wanted to do.

[Smile]

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2007 12:39 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thinks as long as you go into the interview with a good attitude you should do fine. Show that them you are an enthusiastic person with a willingness to learn what you don't know about the job. Your GM obviously sees this in you if he is so supportive of you getting the position. Also remember that you are young and if it doesn't work out this time around your attitude in this interview will reflect on you in the future. You also have time to learn the things that they may require you to know for the next time around. Wether you get the job or not, if you remain enthusiastic and show a willingness to learn, along with your passion for the business and the company, there should be no reason for you not to advance in your career and in the company.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2007 01:56 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You sound to eager to take my advice, but I will give it anyway.

ASK THEM QUESTIONS!

They can hand you the title manager, however, what does that mean? Can you make policy in the booth or do you simply enforce their policy? If its bad policy, can you talk to upper managment to change it? How do you get along with the booth people? Are they a group that will listen, if not, what are you allowed to do to change their behavior?

My guess, you won't care enough about these questions to ask them because you seem to want the job more than oxygen, but trust me, I was in your position and regret not asking questions. You really need to know what your walking into. If things aren't going well, you need to know if you have the authority to make changes.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2007 02:09 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks alot everyone. im really pleased to have everyones backing. i now feel alot better going into it now. makes alot of difference.

Im going to enjoy myself. [Smile]

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 11:05 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so... i didnt get manager. im a bit peeved cos they said that I was exactly what they wanted... guess it means i have a better chance next time around.

thanks everyone for your help. Im just gonna have to work double time to make up the money then!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-03-2007 12:42 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ask them what you need to do to be a better candidate for next time.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2007 12:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that one Peter. What happened could have been a case of you being sightly "over qualified" since they said that you were "exactly" what they wanted.

What they saw was someone who could be a possible "threat" to their operation. By the word "threat", possibly meaning that you could easily disrupt the "system" with your own style of operation and prove to the "system" that you possess methods that could jepordize the entire operation and remove yourself from the "teamwork" atmosphere that is within the "system."

The possible worst threat that the owners can see is that you could contain the potiental of being dead competition to them - which no business wants their employees to be.

Trust me, I've seen this before where the owners don't want their staff to succeed and be successful with their job duties. They just want their staff to "do the job" with little opportunity to make themselves better. Sorry to say, all they want is "robots" to perform the functions needed.

Yet, think of it this way: you were shot down. "HEY, that is really GREAT." Just think, if you DID get the mgr's job, would you have been able to handle that extra responsibility and added pressure that THEY expect you to carry out - not what you wanted?

Personally, I'd think twice on trying hard again since you were shot down once, do you want to get shot down again with the same people? I'd go to another cinema complex and try all over again...or find another occupation that you could grow into.

good luck-Monte

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 01:34 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well thats an interesting response.

they didnt really say 'exactly'. but that i had all the makings of a good manager, and they say that I could easily go into another projection manager job at another site in future.

I presume that my lack of experience did it. ive only been in the business (of cinema) for 4 months now, so to get even considered as the new manager is pretty amazing in itself.

Im not downheartened either cos the new guy is someone who used to work here and i get on with him very well. We should make a good team - plus i can still hopefully instigate some of my own ideas and plans into the booth.

So altogether... its an alright result.

But still wish i was manager. lol

peter

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-03-2007 04:02 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, that's a good perspective positive attitude in the face of a disappointment. Don't let it get you down. Now I don't know if this position has to fulfill a corporate policy that may be in place requiring that they have to interview a certain number of candidates. This may be the case and the unfortunate reality may be that they have already chosen exactly who they want to put in that position; the interviews are just so that they abide by the letter of their requirement. Their not giving you the position may have nothing to do with your qualifications, but much more with politics. Like Monte, I have seen this many times before (you live long enough, you see allot) where they have already picked the guy they want for whatever reason -- usually it a bad reason, like he's some higher up's nephew or buddy's son, etc.-- but they have to go thru the motions, interviewing people just so it doesn't look like what it really is -- favoritism, nepotism, good-ole-boy-ism. That's the real world.

Be that as it may....it could also be that's not it at all, so putting my old fart cynicism aside, if there really is some factor that stopped them from giving you the position, Chris' suggestion is a very good one -- ask them to let you know what you need to do to improve for the next round.

And again....don't let it get you down. There'll be plenty of opportunities for you -- most will be allot better than that one.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 04:45 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou frank. That makes me feel alot better. To say I wasnt hoping to get the job would be a lie... ive thrown 200% every day into this job, and since the old manager left, I assumed all his jobs and authority straight away. Nobody quibbled, because I did it just right. I was trained to be the replacement, informally.

As you say, new opportunities will arise, but one thing is for sure - im staying in cinema for the long term. Ive found a job i cant wait to get to in the morning.

At least this time around, i know i gave it my absolute best shot. regardless of the outcome, I did MY best, and I know that i am worthy of the job. And of more.

Once again, thanks. Its been a long day...

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 08:04 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, sorry to hear you weren't lucky this time. I'd guess it's probably your lack of experience, rather than enthusiasm, that was your problem. I'm not sure whether you work for a small independant or a chain, but regardless, a 'projection manager' position would probably require more than the 4 months projection experience you have (if I have read your posts correctly!), not to mention supervisory skills, health and safety knowledge, etc.

I would guess from your first post that you need to gain more experience. Good luck but don't try to run before you've finished learning how to walk!

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 11:21 PM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter
Sory to hear that you didn't get the job. As far a getting to put some of the policy into place in the booth that you would like to see happen, i would just do the job and follow current policy. Don't give the new guy the chance to take credit for ideas that you have come up with. Why help the guy that had the job you were up for. Go to work do your job learn what you can and go in and get the position the next time. Then bring in policy that you think would better the booth or the system and get credit for it because it is your idea not his.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: