Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rake Scratch (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Rake Scratch
Chad Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2007 06:56 PM      Profile for Chad Smith   Email Chad Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I poked around on the forums for a bit and didn't see a similar scratch that anyone had posted about.

Thank the lord that this is on the base side of the film. FilmGuard helped out a bunch, it doesn't look nearly as bad as when we discovered the scratches.

For pictures of the projection setup that we have check a few posts down in a thread I made about a year ago regarding a different type of scratch: scratches (in middle?)

Our setup has remained the same with the exception of our tech recently installing new Dolby Analog readers on all of our houses.

Any ideas?

I'll try to get a better photo of that scratch when I get home from work tonight, if only for sake of documentation.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-25-2007 07:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looks like the film missed a guide roller and drug across its axle or flat surface, impedence drum has froze with the film sliding over the drum, or got away in the failsafe area by missing a roller.

Speaking of the failsafe area, I've seen the failsafe assemblies being too far back to where the film actually rubs against the rear frame of the soundhead.

Try to find some "white snow" - (being the base side of the film) somewhere in the platter and projector area..

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-25-2007 07:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the pictures of his setup, there isn't a whole lot that could've caused this. The obvious culprit would be the sounddrum not spinning freely. Check that first and get back to us.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-25-2007 07:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
forgot to add: if one misses that lower roller on the DTS reader, film can be scraping against the upper casing of the machine..course, depends on the reader placement..

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2007 08:04 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone is forgetting to make sure that the film is seated on the film guide directly above the lock pin on the platter take-up assembly and is instead looping the film on that pin itself you'll get continuous black verticle scratching on the base side if you're threading with the analog track facing away from the platter tree thru the take-up assembly.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-25-2007 08:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy is right! About 90% of the time, the only film damage is with Potts/Strong platters. The "push button" on the vertical carriage assembly is usually the culprit. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-25-2007 08:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Jeremy is right! About 90% of the time, the only film damage is with Potts/Strong platters. The "push button" on the vertical carriage assembly is usually the culprit. Louis

Boy Howdy you are dead right on that one! That stupid plunger has ruined more film than the film grinding machines that re-cycle film. There are in some places people that are so stupid that I've had to remove the plunger.... Then they use a screwdriver and they have to take it out since it won't release on its own...

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-25-2007 10:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid Strong platters. [Roll Eyes] Glad I don't have to deal with any of them any longer. That would be impossible on a Christie platter. [Cool]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-25-2007 10:49 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's a mishtread. [Roll Eyes]

But why blame it on the platter when it's the operator who doesn't recheck his threading before he hits the little green button?

Then, again, I work in a Catholic school. If my operators don't do as I tell them I can call Sister Mary Elephant to come whack his pee-pee with a ruler! [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-26-2007 02:02 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(and I've got 26 of them STRONG platters to fuss with..owner wanted something cheap and easy to operate..nothing fancy to deal with..)

Now, I have to admit, being in a hurry, that I've wanged up a couple of prints with the film being dragged on that lock pin, but never have had a full rake scratch pattern like this one since the spring usually holds the film away from the pin-just the scratching from the head of that pin - why I made those full-surface rubbing comments.

Plus, (if he has Simplex 5-star soundheads) he mentions on that Dolby Analog readers were installed...AND if they are the CE type where you have to partically take out the front scanner drum bearing (but totally remove the flywheel and rear bearing to push out the scanner drum bearing) to align up the LED bracket. I bet a dime to a donut that when they put on the flywheel,they put it on too far on the drum shaft and it's dragging against the belt idler pulley causing the resistance in the drum rotation. You wouldn't notice any warble in the sound if doing DTS and/or Dolby Penthouse readers.

..something to chek into...

True Brad on the AW3, but someone who ain't careful with that roller traveller can easilly let the thing drop past that bottom lock pin on the slide rod and really can wang up a print when the film drags flush over the face of the deck when on rewind.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-26-2007 10:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, the new bars are impossible for this to happen on. Older bars can be modified in a variety of ways from wrapping gaffer's tape around the bottom edge to drilling a hole and putting a nut/bolt through it...anything to prevent the travel from going past that pin.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-26-2007 10:50 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
I can call Sister Mary Elephant to come whack his pee-pee
Randy, you're mixing up your Cheech & Chong tracks. "Whack his pee-pee" was said by the judge in "Trippin' in Court." (Still pretty funny though!) [Cool]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-26-2007 11:32 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll call Sargent Stadanko instead. [Big Grin]

But seriously... You can't say it enough, no matter what kind of platter you've got.

Check, recheck and TRIPLE check your threading BEFORE you hit that damn "start" button!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-26-2007 04:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you add a roller just below the offending pin; misthreading will only turn the wrong roller, not damage film. The hole is already there, just reverse the screw in it and add another roller. You may need to trim the O.D. on the new roller. Louis

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2007 05:00 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really cant tell from the pictures But if you missed the last roller in the DD reader and went directly to the Projector would it Drag across the top of the turret? If so wouldn't that causes scratch that are seen in the picture?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: