Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Horizontal Scratches on both side of Perforation

Author Topic: Horizontal Scratches on both side of Perforation
Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2007 09:04 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!!
Required your advice, since 2 weeks i am facing this problem in all print.
After 4 to 5 days of print run i can see Horizontal scratches which starts from outer edge of film through the perforation toward the image area about 1.5mm. Due to this problem D.Digital fails, when sound reverts to SR we hear hissing sound.
We have strong projection system which is 6 years old... Projector Head--- Simplex,Sound Head 5-Star, Strong Platter & Make Up Table...
Awaited for your valuable advice to rectify the same.
Regards,
Peter.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-24-2007 11:47 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pressure bands in the picture gate may need to be adjusted or replaced.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2007 12:05 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the scratches horizontal straight across or lateral at an angle across the film? Straight across indicates scratching that it is occurring in the gate while film is at rest and lateral is when the film is traveling. Most common place for this to happen is going on to the platter!

Ron

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2007 06:40 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of horizontal scratches coming from the gate. How so? Its rare to see perfectly horizontal scratches, I've seen them but not often.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2007 08:15 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernie,

I agree it is rare and I have no idea if it is happening in the gate or elsewhere but the gate is the only place you don't have continuous movement so it would seem to me it would be the only place that a perfectly horizontal scratch could happen. I have one theater that was doing some always at the end of the movies not all the way though we took the gate off and cleaned it good and haven't had them sense.

I still can't see how film not moving can get scratched and if the film is moving it would seem to me that it either has to be lateral or vertical. Lateral is almost always on the platter usually from people running the film with sound track pointing down.

Ron

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2007 11:17 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen horizontal scratches happen in XLs when the bottom loop is too big and hits the back of the projector housing. I usually get it when people are training. That XL loop has to be right on the money.

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2007 03:44 AM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the film height where it returns to the platter.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-25-2007 04:06 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Platter would be my guess as well. At least on the strong platters I'm using, when the film comes off the last roller onto the platter it starts out almost perfectly flat where if the roller were too low both perforated sides would hit the surface of the platter.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2007 04:02 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter John Anthony. C
sound reverts to SR we hear hissing sound.
Does your projector need a red light reader? SR can sound almost as clean as digital in ideal conditions.

Perhaps if you place some red gel over your white light exciter and raise the levels, you will decrease the amount of hiss, when it fall back to sr.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2007 07:54 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This problem drove me crazy for the longest time. Mainly because they were perfect horizontal scratches in a short area on both sides of the film. The problem happened only on simplex projectors. Both times the problem turned out to be the intermittent shoe on the bottom of the gate. There was enough play back and forth from the shoe that it would bounce from side to side and scratch the digital area and the optical soundtrack. Both times I replaced the shoe and it immediately stopped scratching.

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2007 12:34 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were having this problem a few months back and it turned out to be a loose roller on our platter. I think i found out to look for this somewhere in this forum can't remeber where thought.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2007 04:11 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I notticed this strange scracthes this summer. On start of projection in open air cinema where we use only analog I notticed some pop's in sound, but quite small, I was think some of speaker driver left...then I notticed straches from sound side of film thru center of picture....

This wasn't done by "us" it was done by cinemas which played film firts.

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2007 12:29 PM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a ton for all the advice...
The scratches seen on film edges are horizontal.
We have changed all the Platter black roller...
Now option to try are...
1) Gate alingment.
2) Will replace Pressure band.
3) will replace the Shoe pad.

Will update the same once done the above, mean time more helps are awaited...
Thanks,
peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: