Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help needed for Westrex 2002 soundhead stereo cell

Author Topic: Help needed for Westrex 2002 soundhead stereo cell
David Ahrens
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2007 03:22 PM      Profile for David Ahrens   Email David Ahrens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello I have recently bought myself a Westar 2001 with a Westrex 2002 soundhead. I am in the process of converting the soundhead to stereo.

I contacted ICECO and asked them to supply me a stereo cell an bracket for the Westrex. They said I needed the Kelmar DX-1074/W which I ordered and it arrived last week.

Tonight I have attempted to fit it but unfortunately the screw holes do not line up . The original bracket for the old type cell is not a just a semi circle like the new bracket but has a kind of recess in the middle so it can get closer to the drum. I have attached a picture of the new bracket and the old.

-

I have emailed ICECO and I am awaiting a reply but thought I might ask here so I can make sure I can request the correct one. Is the Westrex 2002 sound head the same as the Century R2 ? As Kelmar do bracket DX-1099 for the R2 soundhead. Any help would be much apreciated [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2007 03:49 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're best bet is to try Omnex Pro Film as they are/were the dealers who took over the Westrex steup in the UK.

Ask for Alan who should be able to help you out.

Tel 01614293562

www.omnexprofilm.co.uk

One thing to bear in mind. I have one 2002 head I look after. We fitted a red led that was custom built, not pretty but works great some two years after install. However about a month after it was installed there was a problem which turned out to be the oil that had gotten into the optics over the years. The slit was full of oil as it had heated up and spread. We dismantled the optics and cleaned them and the responce is flat and no problems since.

As its such an old head it's worth taking that extra care and stripping it all down, it's not that difficult and once done it's done for many years again.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2007 09:05 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

That looks completely the wrong cell assembly to me. What you have there looks like the type for a Westrex 2003 rep-set.

The soundhead you have was not known as a Westrex 2002 in the US, it's a Century R2 or possibly Westrex Master reproducer across the pond, hence why I suspect Kelmar have become confused.

The correct DOlby SVA cell and bracket assembly for a Westrex 2002 uses part of the white painted component at the bottom of your photo. That casting shown in your picture carries a bearing which supports the outboard end of the scan drum, the cell asembly attached to that casting with a 4BA screw going on memory. You remove part of the original Westrex setup (black metallic component with some optics in it, can't remember what it's called) and replace with the cell.

I'm not even sure they are still available from Dolby now.

The best solution for converting one of these to red light is the ACL 10SL, which is a combined laser, optical tube and slit mask. Any of these soundheads will be 50+ years old now, an attempt to utilise the original optics and exciter bracketry is likely to end in dissapointment. One ACL 10SL takes care of it, and providing the geartrain and couplings between the soundhead and the picture head are OK these can be a very smooth running rep set. I should know, I've looked after enough of them in my time!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-17-2007 10:06 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a simple operation to mount a Dolby red LED on the old removable optical assembly and then use a conventional Kelmar/Bay Area/Component reader and power supply.

In the "old days" I converted a Century "Master" to stereo pickup for Dolby by scavenging what you have now (Kelmar) onto the outer bearing support. Please note that the outer bearing support is not "square" on the side closest to the door. Louis

David Ahrens
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2007 10:36 AM      Profile for David Ahrens   Email David Ahrens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello thanks Ken and Pete for your replies,

Pete, I bought the cell and bracket from ICECO, stating I needed it for a Westrex 2002 but they have probably as you said sent me one for a 2003.

The soundehead I have is the one with two exciter lamps. I have attached another two pictures of the soundhead. They are not great as it is all in situe now and I have very little room to take the pictures in.

-

-

I have re-fitted the old cell optics / bracket for you to see. In the first picture you can see above and below the silver casing of the optics the screws for mounting the bracket. These obviously dont quiet line up with the Kelmar bracket.

I have looked at the old optics and can see no bearing that supports anything, its basically just two lenses that filter the light down to tho old large solar cell further back down the housing above the old amp that is built in.

The first part of the optics just sits slightly inside and by the side of the sound drum, it does not support or touch the drum in any way. If the screw holes of the new cell had of lined up the thats exactly where the cell would sit.

Can you tell from the picture if the soundhead is an R2 as Kelmar sell a version for the R2 soundhead.

I fear the ACL 10SL would unfortunately be out of my price range at the moment.

ICECO were good and did get back me saying they would show my picture to there tech so I am now once again waiting to hear from them. But hoping soemone here knows and can help.

thanks again

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-17-2007 10:45 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
over here (across the pond) that was sold as the R2 master soundhead

David Ahrens
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2007 10:51 AM      Profile for David Ahrens   Email David Ahrens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon, so do you think my the best thing for me to try is to get them to change it for the Kelmar DX-1099 for the Century R2, R5, R6 ?

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2007 01:32 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to disagree with Pete in that the results using the original optics can be very good. I know I've helped with it and have seen the results on a scope.

We used a custom made red led and as I've already said it's been in use for over two years now. Unfortunatly the acoustics of the auditorium where this is installed are dredful but that's no fault of the steup.

One thing I will add is don't go with Jaxlite.

A red led soultion is much cheaper and can give very good results. It does of course depend finally on the condidtion of all parts combined. But if the basic sound head is in good condition it's not a problem.

There are a LOT of red led systems out there using the original optics.... your's should be no different. In one respect using a new red led/laser setup can in fact cause problems with an extended responce which you may not be able to flatten out to get the correct curve.

David Ahrens
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2007 02:16 PM      Profile for David Ahrens   Email David Ahrens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Pete I have re-read your post and looked again at the sound head and now I understand what you mean about the bearing in the original bracket and it holding the drum. So the thing I need to know now is, is the Kelmar Century R2 version the one I need ?

Steven H. Krams
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2007 07:38 AM      Profile for Steven H. Krams   Email Steven H. Krams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Got your mail forwarded by Dara last evening. Looks like the forum folks have answered correctly. The cell required is for the Westrex 2002 - USA Century R-2/R-6. We will try to locate one for you when we open on Friday.

Steven Krams
ICECO
a Division of MTE

Bill Ryan
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2007 11:24 PM      Profile for Bill Ryan   Email Bill Ryan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several R2's and a R6 all US made and the mountings for the solar cell assembly are identical on both soundheads. The other sound soundhead the R2002 has a different mounting, that is it's flat on the outer surface not at a slight angle like on the R2 R6. The surface where the original diverting optics mount.
BTW we had both types here in Australia the R2002's where installed at the Sydney Regent for Cinemascope, 3 machines. Most of the others used by Metro were US made R2's all the Metro hardtops had three machines and were really well set up. An excellent soundhead very smooth. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: