Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS player drive upgrade (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS player drive upgrade
Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2007 01:39 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm considering installing a pair of Pioneer Slot Load DVD drives into a DTS-6 unit. Has any anyone had any experience with drives other than TEAC, Toshiba & Plextor?

|  IP: Logged

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2007 04:22 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they IDE or SCSI drives? If you have never installed the DTS upgrade kit with the Adaptec SCSI adapter and aquilla board then they won't work. Even with the upgrade they may not work. I've had trouble with Pioneer CD-ROM's in the past.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2007 06:32 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The target machine is fully upgraded with the 32x TEAC drives, the new SCSI board and the ROM DOS board. I've been looking for a pair of Plextor 32x or 40x drives (I've heard they work no problem), but then I ran across a set of Pioneer slot load drives (which are SCSI) and thought that might be cool.

For instances where drives haven't worked, does the system simply not enter the "ready" state (blinking system light with activity lights flickering on the drives), or is there some other clandestine manifestation (like it all looks right, but just doesn't work).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-13-2007 07:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you squeak when you walk you're better off in the long run with the latest upgrade kit. Then when a drive fails you go to Wal-Mart and buy an IDE DVD drive on the cheap and replace the bad one.

If you want to know whats happemnning to the DTS during boot up plug in an ISA video card and watch it boot up on a monitor.

Mark

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2007 07:59 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the DTS units do several different things when you install drives that are incompatible. First is the unit will boot until DTS.EXE is loaded and then reboot itself. Second is that it will lock up just randomly or third is it will boot and start to playback sound track and then flake out, again at ramdom points. As Mark said, you can see exactly what is going on with the player if you install an ISA Video card.

If you're on a budget, I've had success finding TEAC CD-ROM's on EBay. It will get you back up and running for the time being and allow you some time to budget for the IDE upgrade kit from DTS. That will ultimately be the best and most reliable solution.

Greg

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-14-2007 01:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tagged a good dozen APPLE SCSI drives off of eBone for a song ... and they work great as long you have the V.1.46 upgrade installed in your "6" - two tray unit.

-Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-14-2007 09:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The apple drive that works is the sony caddy drive they made for apple

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-14-2007 11:18 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can actually get the same IDE-SCSI bridge straight from the manufacturer.

Product page for AEC-772OU you'll see they're selling it for $69 a piece.

You'd still have to get the software update CDROM or, if your MOBO isn't the current E363, the new ROM board firmware chip. Plus, you'd need a power adapter cable like the one you get in the kit (though I'm sure those are pretty cheap).

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2007 01:58 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually if you buy the bridge adapter from the manufacturer, they include a power splitter that will work.

If you have the 1.46 eprom, the non-DTS motherboard (not the E363 board), the Virtual ROM board (AQRM), updated SCSI board (not the Future Domain board), and the proper length SCSI cables, these bridges (2 or 3) and the IDE drives are all you should need. I believe the update CDRom is only for systems with the E363 board (which doesn't use the ROM-DOS board).

Is it the experience of everyone here that once you have the SCSI-IDE bridge you can use any IDE drives? (Presumably all the same model number though).

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-14-2007 10:56 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Blaine Young
I believe the update CDRom is only for systems with the E363 board (which doesn't use the ROM-DOS board).
That's why I said that you'd need the cdrom OR the newer firmware chip. [Smile]

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2007 09:25 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bought enough of these drives to last until film is dead .... so I will let the secret out... here is the info you need......

http://www.6thplanet.com

search for 'teac' ... They still have 42 BRAND NEW CD-532S drives left in stock... 12 quid each!

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2007 03:19 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an update. I've successfully deployed a DTS-6 unit with the Pioneer DVD-305S Slot Drives. The only variant seems to be that they spin up to full speed (where the DTS supplied TEAC drives spin only about 4x or 8x). Also noted that when the drives are not being accessed, the busy lights on each drive are dark. The 'flutter' activity that the TEAC drives perform doesn't happen. The plus side is that it is VERY easy to determine which drive is being accessed at any particular time.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-07-2007 03:42 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long have you been running these drives? Usually you'll start to see non-supported SCSI drives drop out randomly during the show every once in a while.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2007 03:54 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I performed the drive change-out a week ago. I've just added a 3rd drive to the unit yesterday. The playback so far has been error free. I'm keeping my eye on the unit for any failures. I suspect this works because of the latest updates elsewhere in the system are in place, and could take the IDE-DVD drive kits.

I've considered installing a video board and monitor on the system to monitor what's going on at a software level. Does the system actually produce any display data - like the SN / Reel / Frame playing?

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2007 11:20 AM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This installation continues to operate flawlessly.

I'm not sure about other installations, but this particular unit (purchased used) had the SCSI terminations all wrong when I got it. The cable went from the SCSI adapter to the bottom drive (B) and then the top (A), with the SCSI termination on the card and then on B drive. Configured this way, the SCSI bus may experience data loss which would lead to dropping out of digital.

I'm wondering if the 'approved' drives are more forgiving of this type of configuration, and when putting in other drives also configured this way, the system simply fails.

This install is wired with terminators removed from the host adapter, Terminators are enabled on the A drive and the external drive - at the physical ends of the SCSI cable.

Has anyone put a monitor on a unit during playback to see what information is displayed?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: