Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Screwy sound from XD-10

Author Topic: Screwy sound from XD-10
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2007 01:42 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In analog, there is little if no volume from the left and center channel, but the right channel is fine. In digital, the left and center are fine, and the right is slightly lower volume. The only strange thing I see is the clip light on for the amp that controls the right channel.

Any insight into this?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-09-2007 04:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves the xd10 has nothing to do with analogue
what processor is it mated to

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2007 04:22 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been there for about 2 weeks, but I dont remember another processor. Just the XD10 equipment and amps. Everything worked fine, then just went nuts. I guess I will have to recheck the equipment if your correct.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disconnect that channelos input and if the clip light stsys on then the amp is bad on that channel.
Gord is right XD-10 has nothing to do with analog. But if your analog is also bad then do a quick A-Chain to locate the problem there. It should be painfully obvious where it lies if there is a problem there.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but the XD10 does not process analog sound. You must have some other form of processor in the rack that is at fault. In regards to the levels in digital, that is also the fault of your analog processor.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2007 04:26 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or his solar cell in the soundhead?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2007 07:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully he has a reverse scam unit in the projectors there. A bad LED can cause masive channel imbalance but that probably wouldn't keep the light on the amp lit.

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2007 08:39 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you suggest the LED be replaced? They are old units. I believe from 97 or 98.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2007 10:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say they have seen their useful life just by the age. I have not seen any last that long in daily theater operations... in places that get used once in a while... yes.

You can look at them and tell if individual segments have failed. You'll see dark spots or a dark rectangle if multiple segments are out. I believe 2 rows of 12 LED segments are in the LED.

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2007 11:44 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I didnt suspect the LED is because this unit worked fine, then one day, it went crazy. Could that happen with a bad LED? I thought that maybe things would slowly deteriorate.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-10-2007 09:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It absolutely could be fine one day and die the next day. Look at the LED's in your complex through a piece of black film(not opaque) to cut the brightness down. Any segments that are out will be obvious. If all is fine then the problem lies elsewhere. As far as scanners go if you have Kelmar's with a white and gray power supply box that power dupply also commonly fails.

Mark

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2007 09:41 AM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Frank can only remember XD-10 and amps in his rack I wonder if the Processor he has is a XD10P Mated with a XD-10

I do have A question For you Frank As stated in you Post above these Problems has been going on for at least Two weeks. Has this auditorium been closed down to diagnose and repair this problem or are movies still being run with "Screwy Sound" to paying customers?

[ 11-11-2007, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Timothy Eiler ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: