Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm Xenon variable speed?

Author Topic: 16mm Xenon variable speed?
Joel Shepard
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2007 12:12 PM      Profile for Joel Shepard   Email Joel Shepard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. I'm trying to figure out if Elmo ever made a Xenon 16mm projector with variable speed.

Does anyone out there know this?

I'm badly in need of a tabletop 16mm Xenon projector that can do silent speed. I can't make room for a stand-up machine in my booth. And I need a really good machine, probably not a jerry-rigged one. I have to deal with obsessive filmmakers who can tell if a projector is running at 19fps instead of 18.

16mm has gotten so frustrating, at least of terms of repairs. I don't know what exhibitors are going to do for the long term. Right now, I'm depending on a couple of retirees who like to tinker with things for my Elmo CX550s - not a good sign for the future.

Thank you for any insight.

Joel Shepard
Film/Video Curator

Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
701 Mission St
San Francisco CA 94103 USA
415-321-1323 tel
415-978-9635 fax

www.YBCA.org [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-07-2007 01:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elmo most certainly did make a variable speed 16mm. The LX-2200 was available with variable speed up within a year of end of production (LX-2200V). We have also modified numerious LX-1100 and LX-2200s for varable speed.

However, you say you need a table top model. Elmo did make some models that had an alternate speed of 18fps though none of the later ones had that. I am unaware of any Elmo table top models that had variable speed.

For what its worth, we were able to obtain new 16mm repair parts from Elmo within the past month, so all is not gloom and doom yet.

Steve

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: