Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Organ at Loew's Jersey. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Organ at Loew's Jersey.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2007 05:26 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received an e-mail last night, a Yahoo Groups one, not a private one to me, which says that the organ will be played before the screening of 'The Jazz Singer' on November 10th.

The website (www.loewsjersey.org) still says that the organ is almost ready, but there is a video clip of it being played.

I would liked to have come over, but I couldn't get a flight and hotel room at reasonable cost at such short notice. I've also got some sort of health problem at the moment, for the last few weeks I've been getting severe headaches, dizziness, nausia etc. I'm not sure what's causing it, but changes in air pressure and temperature certainly make it much worse, so flying may not be a good idea at present anyway. I'll try to get over to hear it next year. Is anybody from here going to that screening?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-07-2007 08:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,

I am sorry to read about your health issues.... How's your blood pressure? Many years of borderline high BP has for the most part ruined my kidneys (Chronic Kidney Failure). I recently changed Doctors because of a change in our insurance and he caught it almost right away. Apparently new doctors are taught that even borderline high BP is bad... the old school of doctors thinks differently about it and that borderline is ok or at least better than it being high... not true! Don't let your health sag.... if your present Doc doesn't do anything for you then get another... preferably young one with a fresh mind and the latest training and ideas.... you may be better off like I now am.

Mark

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2007 08:12 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The organ does indeed now play, and was previewed during the Karloff weekend last month.

Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre
 -

PS.

We still need a reflector mirror for an Ashcroft Super-Corlite carbon arc lamp house...

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2007 01:30 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be projecting that evening. The organ is indeed up and running and it sounded marvelous for the Karloff weekend that Mitchell mentioned above. I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to come and hope you feel better soon.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-08-2007 05:38 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I am sorry to read about your health issues.... How's your blood pressure? Many years of borderline high BP has for the most part ruined my kidneys (Chronic Kidney Failure).
That sounds bad Mark; I'm sorry to hear that.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I recently changed Doctors because of a change in our
insurance and he caught it almost right away. Apparently new doctors are taught that even borderline high BP is bad... the old school of doctors thinks differently about it and that borderline is ok or at least better than it being high... not true! Don't let your health sag.... if your present Doc doesn't do anything for you then get another... preferably young one with a fresh mind and the latest training and ideas.... you may be better off like I now am.

I really don't like doctors; I'd have to be really ill before I'd even think of going. I've never been one for looking after my health; I prefer to not even think about what goes on inside bodies I did once go to a post-mortem, so I have seen what the various bits look like, but I prefer to keep it all out of sight, and out of mind.

The last time I went to the doctor as about four years ago; I was getting terrible pains in my side. The Doctor was honest; he didn't know what the problem was, and a couple of days later, before he could find out they went away, and haven't come back since. I think we sometimes expect too much of doctors; they're not miracle workers.

I really don't know what this is that I've got now; somebody suggested sinus trouble. It's much worse when I'm at work, my desk position puts me within inches of a raditator so hot that I can't actually keep my hand on it. A co-worker sitting very close to me gets almost none of the heat, so he complains that he is cold, and has a fan heater on under his desk for much of the time. If I open the window then the top half of me is in a cold draught, and the bottom half is still far too hot. I also have to go out to our two other buildings, only a minute or so walk away, but still out in the cold to get there, and none of this helps even walking under those curtain hearer things just inside the doors I can feel it get worse as the heat hits me. I'm trying to arrange to move my desk elsewhere in the office. I've taken a couple of days leave today and tomorrow, and it's been much better today. There's also a lot of noise going on from building work, both inside and outside the building, which doesn't help. Yesterday was my late evening, so I was on a 12 hour shift, and it was really bad.

Now that I've just about retired from the projection room I'll be getting a bit more time to myself. For quite a while I've been working six days, with two of those being at least 12 hours, and sometimes as long as 16; I think a rest will do me good.

I'd like to have gone to the show at the Loew's on Saturday, but it was too late to get flights to Newark and back at reasonable cost on the days when I would have wanted to be there, and the hotel nearby had no rooms free on the days I wanted, so I couldn't make it, but I think that's probably just as well, I really doubt that it would be a good idea to fly before this head trouble clears up.

I have lost a bit of weight since my last picture was taken; I'm not sure how much, but I have come down two trouser sizes.

What I'm doing at the moment probably won't make my head any better either. I have a large collection of lamps, something like 600 of them at the last count, everything from fractional Watt ones to multi-kiloWatt metal halides. Last year I managed to acquire a couple of 140W SLI/H linear sodium lamps, not been made for years, never common even here, and probably nobody over there has even seen one. They're a sort of straightened out SOX lamp, and they look like this: web page Most discharge lamps will work on 240V with just a simple inductive choke ballast, usually with a high-Voltage ignitor, but these things won't, the tube Voltage is too high, so they need a leak transformer with a current of 0.9A and an open circuit Voltage of about 420V. I've finally managed to find one of these, so here's what I look like under the two yellow lines of sodium:

-

That thing is bright; they can put out getting on for 200 lm/W so you get a lot of light for 140W.
This is the first time I've used the camera in my laptop; I'll have to try some other lamp types with it. I wonder if it's sensitive to ultra-violet?

Mitchell and Robert, sorry I can't make it this time, but maybe next year. Glad to hear that the organ is at last working; they'd been working on it for several years when I first came over in '02, so it's taken quite some time. I've never seen the chambers, but I did see some of the parts in a room somewhere under the stage the first time I came over.

Surprisingly the GSTOS website doesn't say much about it either, but there is a picture of the completed console and a short video of it being played last week, the same one that is on the Loew's site, I think. Maybe they want to be sure that any last problems are sorted out before giving it too much publicity.

Getting the organ working is a major development, and should be a real attraction when it is in regular use. Maybe they can do some silent film shows with it sometime soon.

Did they finally manage to get the last parts, the heavy bits, of the DP-70s upstairs?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-08-2007 07:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,

You an monitor your own BP at home and accurately for not much $$. It could make a difference between hearing that Organ or not. The sad thing is that I did not ignore my BP... I was just told that the way it was was ok.... definately not true and todays new doctors are taught differently about it!

Mark

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2007 09:02 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are still some kinks to work out of the organ (more tuning, some valves that don't work or get stuck), but it's very playable and sounds the part.

All the DP-70 parts are upstairs and I'm working on cleaning and assembling them now.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2007 09:54 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When was the organ played? I was at the Bride of Frankenstein showing and no one played the organ.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2007 10:47 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it was played the prior day before The Black Cat.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2007 01:50 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, sinus infections can be very nasty and make you wish someone would put you out of your misery. [thumbsdown] I have them often, and have learned through my own stubbornness, that ignoring it is the worst thing to do. You need meds to get over it, or it will never go away.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-18-2007 03:32 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I'm not sure if it is a sinus infection, but whatever it is it seems to be getting worse. It's always much worse when I'm at work than when I'm elsewhere, but this weekend it's been worse than usual at home. I'm not looking forward to returning to work tomorrow, and especially not to the 12 hour shift on Wednesday, or the 14 hours on Monday next week. I really don't want to take this to a Doctor, but the matter may well be taken out of my hands this week, whether I like it, or not.

Anyway, to get back to the subject, it's good to hear that the organ is now playable, and that the new projectors may follow before too long.

The days are getting rather short now, but maybe sometime in the Spring we could organise a Film-Tech East coast meet at the Loew's; There seem to be quite a few of us who are not too far away. I would find it easier to come if they would advertise their events a bit further in advance, as they did start to do again a year or two ago, but they now seem to have slipped back to quite short notice. Better still would be to make it a Saturday when Peter is doing one of the 'classic' shows at the Lafayette, maybe even a 3-D one, and we could take in both places. Maybe some time around May; after that the Loew's generally closes for the Summer, and by the time it re-opens in Septebmer-ish things are difficult for me Work-wise, I can't take any leave in September, and next Easter we are likely to be moving at work, so that would rule that time out as well. It's not easy to find a time when I could come over now.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-26-2007 12:41 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No mention on the website at the moment of the organ being used again; Is there anything planned, or are they going to do a bit more work on it first?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding that the organ will officially be premiered on Friday December 14th before the screening of "Miracle On 34th Street".

The organ was restored and is played by The Garden State Theatre Organ society. Their web site is GSTOS, where you can find more info on what's happening with the organ.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-26-2007 02:58 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a look at the GSTOS site a couple of weeks ago Mitchell; surprisingly there's not much there about it, there's a link to the same video clip as on the Friends of the Loew's site, but that's about all. I'll keep looking there from time to time, to see if there's any more news.

My retirement from the projection room didn't last long, about a month, and I've been brought back in to cover a few hours this evening because somebody is away. The place is now fully staffed, for the first time in quite a while, so if I do any more in future it will only be on an occasional basis. Thinking of another thread, the recently appointed projectionist is a woman, who previously worked front of house. It seems pretty common for women to be projectionists here, in fact the whole of that thread seemed a bit odd.

I've still got the head problem, and it seems to be getting worse, though it's not too bad today as I've had a couple of days leave from work. Looks like I'm going to have to go to the Doctor tomorrow. Appropriately, the film I'm running at the moment is 'Sicko'. [Frown]

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2007 05:20 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to read that you haven’t been well lately Stephen. It could be purely stress related which I suffered from many years ago with continuous headaches and depression. Following routine examinations there was nothing my doctor could do for me, he told me that my condition was mind over matter and the headaches were imaginary. It took me nearly three months to get better, unfortunately stopping smoking previously had not helped and any alcohol just made the situation worse!

I wish you well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: