Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help needed for C&W restoration

Author Topic: Help needed for C&W restoration
Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2007 09:49 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bought some stuff out of the trading post today:

Two C&W model H projectors (mfg 1940)
Two Early RCA Photophones for simplex projectors. (Didn't check model before I left, sorry)
A nice three legged post pedestal
What appears to be a Simplex Heavy Duty pedestal
2 C&W magazines
2 Simplex Magazines
The carbon lamphouse is a 'Hylite' a brand which I have never heard of, its a great looking unit, has anyone ever seen/heard of one of these?

Condition ranges from restorable to appalling and beyond.

Does anyone have any literature for the model H, or has anyone had any success restoring these? As an Australian projector I'm not expecting much success finding others restoring these, but I thought i would try anyway.

They all look to have come from two complete projectors, yet nothing seems to fit together properly, is it worth trying to fabricate 'joining plates' or should I just dump the lot?

I'll try and get pics if necessary.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-03-2007 02:37 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Hylight might be made by Ashcraft in USA....about 1940-1955. Louis

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2007 02:55 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C&W projectors are still used by the Manley twin here in Sydney. So perhaps you could contact them?

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2007 10:33 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Damien.

The Hylite lamphouses could be from Hamilton and Baker, in Sydney, or HTS Machine Works in Brisbane. I have often seen the name on equipment installed by RCA Australia. They come in different shapes and sizes. Any pictures?

Hi Cameron. Where in Manly is the Twin Cinema? Anywhere near the old Metro? I'd like to know what happened to that theatre.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2007 05:04 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure they are model H? NOT EH any how any C/W is a good machine.

Stan

Hi Phil.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2007 06:00 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Philip

The old metro is gone, I think. I get a bit confused on which old one was which. The Manly twin is a pretty small complex of aprox 300 seats, built about 20 years ago within a unit block development, across the road from the wharf, on the site of a huge old Spanish inspired picture palace.

I think the metro was on the other side of Manly, facing the ocean beach. Which I remember as once being called the silver screen and dinner cinema (as a boarded up building for a very long time), the space then was running as a laser paintball game type of venture for many years. I'm pretty sure it was demolished fairly recently and replaced with shops and units. Next time I am in Manly I'll take a closer look.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2007 11:02 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Cameron.

The Metro was the one facing the Pacific Ocean. I havn't been there for many years. Last time I saw it it was fitted up for the "Zone 3" paintball game. The lamphouses and pedestals for the projectors, and a bi-unial were still in the bio, but everything else had gone. They were Peeless Magnarcs and Centrex pedestals.

Cheers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: