Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamp Flicker or (unstable arc?): noticeable during end credits (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Lamp Flicker or (unstable arc?): noticeable during end credits
Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2007 09:13 AM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok this is a new problem that I have not noticed before and I have never confronted before so I’m a little lost on how to troubleshoot this problem.

I am projecting on a Century SA (Hadden theatre supply version).
I am using a Kneisley Xenex L-1000 lamp house.
My Rectifier is an IREM NS-X75
I have a brand new (29 hours) ASL 2000 watt bulb

Here is the problem. I was projection the movie “Talk to Me” and during the film the picture and color was great. However at the begging credits I noticed the words had a slight light flicker so that they were not solid white, but rather a flickering white light.

Next when the film ended and the final credits were rolling through I noticed the same effect but to a greater extent. The flicker was just at the words and not the whole screen. I’m confident the film is not damaged or faded in spots, leading to a flicker affect. Now when the end logos rolled through I did not notice this affect and the consequence was clear DTS, Dolby, and studio logos crisp and white.

After the show I removed the lens and turned the lamp house on, I observed the image and noted that the bulb was focused quite well, the light image was good, the illumination was good but I did notice a slight flicker around the bulb image.

While I was performing this test I then looked through the site glass at the arc. The Arc was a little elevated (arcing upward). I have always questioned the arc stabilization magnet in this lap house and whether or not it is installed correctly.

I’m thinking that either the film is damaged, or the credits were not printed correctly on this print. I also was considering that the flicker affect was intended by the studio?

Any clues to the problem?

Mike

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-03-2007 10:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a high leg on your three phase? If so this can and will cause a slight flicker since one phase of the rectifier is operating at perhaps 180 volts while the rest are at 120 volts(each measured to neutral).

quote: Michael Moore
I have always questioned the arc stabilization magnet in this lap house and whether or not it is installed correctly.

I have always questioned those lamphouses no matter what. Adjust the magnet to center the arc between the electrodes.

Mark

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2007 02:24 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does the white light look on screen? ie without film. If it flickers, its the bulb, if it doesn't, its something to do with the print.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2007 04:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed the L-1000 is not a very good lamphouse by any measure.

For two years I've been experimenting with ASL bulbs. The new sleeker design and smaller box are positives, but on the negative side I have noticed a drop in the lamp's longevity and a much hire rate of flickers. Although 29 hours is still, in my opinion, brand-new, it would not surprise me if failure was already setting in. Just last month I replaced a 3000 watt ASL in a L-2730 with a Kneisley M95RTX2X1 rectifier at less than 900 hours due to extraordinary flickering. Not saying ASL is any better or worse than its competitors, just saying their product may be heading down hill.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-03-2007 07:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
The new sleeker design and smaller box are positives, but on the negative side I have noticed a drop in the lamp's longevity and a much hire rate of flickers
..sounds like LTI's - they'd do the same thing...

(Wonder if he switched to Christie bulbs, wonder then if his problems would be drastically reduced...)

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanx for the input.

I have checked the light at the screen with and without the lens in the projector. (Only had it on the screen a few seconds with just the lens in) I did not see flicker at all.

I have also moved that magnet all up and down and still not much of a change. So I question the real function of it.

I was very leery about buying an ASL however the place I got it form (I will not mention their name) said they are one of the best on the market. If I have to change this bulb after just a few hundred hours then I will have to say they are best! The best junk on the market!

I actually have a Christy bulb in the booth. However I have never looked at it to see if it is 2000 watts and I have no clue how old it is. I don’t' want to take the chance and lose my reflector!

When I first arrived at this theater they were projecting with a 500 watt bulb in the Kneisley lamp house and a modified (rigged up) Kneisley rectifier.
I quickly changed things to 1000 watt bulb but still needed more. I then upgraded to a 2000 watt. So this has all been a work in progress.

I'm going to check that 3 phase if I get the 180 or so on one of the legs what should I do?
Is it a primary transformer problem for the three phase? Is the electric companies fought?

Thank you all for you help

Mike

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2007 09:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very leery about buying an ASL however the place I got it form (I will not mention their name) said they are one of the best on the market.
ASL (Advanced Specialty Lighting) is the newest generation of what used to be known as Perkin Elmer - and before that ORC. Like all lamps, some are better than others without regard to who the manufacturer is. I'd say that we'd all agree that we have our favorite lamp, but at least one story of premature failure too.

Choosing a lamp is like picking your poison. Each lamp has its good points and bad points. In truth, the only lamp I've ran in almost 20 years that I will never purchase again is Yumex. When this site first went up in 1999 many of the "Film Gods" here were big proponents of Osram. When their quality suffered for a while it seemed Christie became the favored son. Buying a bulb is a lot like deciding to drive a Ford, Chevy or Toyota. In the end they'll all get you to the finish line.

My philosophy is that if you aren't getting a full year out of a 2000 watt bulb, you are throwing your money away.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-03-2007 11:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ASL (Advanced Specialty Lighting) is the newest generation of what used to be known as Perkin Elmer - and before that ORC.

And how many times did I cuss and swear at those cursed ORC bulbs!!

I used to work for a small circuit that was smart and was using Osrams.
Then, they begin to get stupid in going down to Hanovias.

Then, they really "dumbnified" themselves down to a horribly stupid and very cheap level by thinking on saving money with switching to ORC's. By doing this, ORC's failures were occuring like changing your socks on a daily basis.

In a six month period, we went though so many ORC's on returns due to loss of gas, or even explosions that my lamp card was halfway filled up and the owners just couldn't believe the failures and was blaming me for poor installs with poor connections.

I finally proved to them that it was definitely poor manufacturers to where they FINALLY gained some intelligence to go back to OSRAMS - by spending that extra pocket lining that they took earlier for better quality.

Now, a few years later, they decide to go "stupid" again with trying Perkin-Elmers, which right off, I knew those were those confounded ORCS, and sure enough, here comes the problems once again. And once again, in realizing that of their stupidity in saving the buck, that you just don't mess with quality and a good price when it slaps you in the face. They, again, went back to a good bulb, this time with Christies.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-04-2007 01:18 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's the damn credits. I have seen this issue for years. The quality of credits now days sucks. If the picture looks great with no annoying flicker during the movie but then you notice it in the credits. It's the credits.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-04-2007 01:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl ... this is beginning to sound like this topic that was discussed a couple of weeks ago, especially with Steve's comments here that includes what you said about the end credits..

Course, Michael has one of Louis's SA's with that shutter conversion (which I've heard really makes the SA more of a better machine, but it's still a projector with a revolving shutter that cuts the light at 48hz and as that previous topic mentions and what even Steve mentions on different brands of machinery: it could be the projector, not the lamp, mirror or rectifier.

I've just accepted that slight flicker with the end credits due to the black and white - opposite colors fighting against one another.

-Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-04-2007 06:53 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are properly aligned, and you see flicker with no lens, I would then look at the magnet situation. You should be able to stabilize a terrible bulb. Sometimes the magnet is in backwards which destabilizes the bulb.

Some brands of equipment "like" certain bulbs. Kneisley tolerates Osram best. I have tried the rest over the years. In your case, the IREM should help you with bulb life, but occasionally you can get a slight flicker from mis-matched diodes.

All in all, I think that the film is at fault unless you see flicker with no film and no lens. Can you run the film at another theatre and see if you have the same problem? Louis

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2007 07:43 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be a stupid reply but check your shutter timing. Could you have been seeing ghosting on the credits?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-04-2007 08:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a primary transformer problem for the three phase? Is the electric companies fought?

To some extent but it is possible to get a transformer and install it in the booth to the feed for that power panel and end up with 208Y instead.

quote: Louis Bornwasser
Some brands of equipment "like" certain bulbs. Kneisley tolerates Osram best.
Boy howdy, I've found that not to be true. The larger globe of the Osrams tend to allow easier arc over to the mirror and other associated parts.... Sleeker globe type lamps have had less of that problem.

Louis is right though... check the magnet first, then the AC, if thats ok then check the rectifier... mismatched diodes, bad filter capacitor, etc,

Mark

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2007 09:43 AM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser

"Can you run the film at another theatre and see if you have the same problem?"
Carmike is scared of me in Dover Delaware and told me to stay out of their booth. They had a problem with putting Saw 1, 2, and 3 together a week ago (my brother in Law did not know how to put a movie together, he was going to call me to do it and the General Manager told him no! "do it yourself” my bother in law only knows digital, has never touched a film print in his life and they made him both manger and he is only 19!!!)
Let’s put it this way it was a big mess and when the next theatre gets those prints I can only pray for them.
That’s another story for another time. They are the closes theatre to me

quote: Darryl Spicer
"it's the damn credits. I have seen this issue for years. The quality of credits now days suck. If the picture looks great with no annoying flicker during the movie but then you notice it in the credits. It's the credits."
Speaking of this has anyone here projected this movie? Have they had the same issue?

quote: Monte L Fullmer
"Course, Michael has one of Louis's SA's with that shutter conversion (which I've heard really makes the SA more of a better machine, but it's still a projector with a revolving shutter that cuts the light at 48hz and as that previous topic mentions and what even Steve mentions on different brands of machinery: it could be the projector, not the lamp, mirror or rectifier."
Monte
The projector is the last thing I would suspect. Reason for this is I have had no problems with it and I find the nitpicking of shutters to be unfounded. The differences are not that great that you or I can tell the differences. A well maintained machine, Century, Christie, etc.; will give you all comparable results. Put them side by side you might see something different but come on. picky picky picky!
I find my Hadden Century to be quite excellent.

quote: Richard May
"This may be a stupid reply but check your shutter timing. Could you have been seeing ghosting on the credits?"
Not a stupid question, I once thought I had a ghosting issue because when I projecting "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" i noticed during the darkest seems, I thought I could see ghosting but in actuality it was not, It was at this time I started questioning the bulb. That was several months ago, and I kind of forgot about it because everything else I have projected I have not had an issue with until now.
I called Louis about it and he did say it could be the Lamp house alignment and with the Kenisley's it is very critical to get it just right. So i may have to go back to the alignment.
But you know when I look through that sight glass the arc does not look too stable it does dance a little and kind of upward but when I change the position of the magnet it does not do a thing to the arc. I checked the magnet and it is in the correct way and not backwards. I will check tonight after the show, tonight is the last showing so I'm going to make another adjustment to the magnet and see how it looks.
As for the 3 phase, the line comes into the booth and is feed into a 3 phase transformer, and then that line goes to my rectifier.
I am going to check that line voltage tonight...

Thank you all for you help so far.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-04-2007 04:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nitpicking of shutters to be unfounded. The differences are not that great that you or I can tell the differences.
Actually that is quite easily proven incorrect and you will find that many if not most people that work with the varioius projector designs can tell the differences rather immediately. Now, how important the differences are to a audience that does not have the opportunity to compare the two (i.e. run a changeover booth with one each, Simplex and a Century) are not likely to notice any particuar problem or have a preference. As one that sets up predominately 2-projector systems, I strongly discourage mis-matched machines for this very reason, regardless of brand/model.

Now back to the topic at hand. You say the arc is licking up...that would indicate that there is not enough magnet in there. If the magnet is inserted backwards, it would always lick up since it naturally would lick up and the magnet in reverse would push it that way. So I would verify that it is in correctly and that it is as high as it can go or as close to the arc as it can go and possibly space it up further, if possible to bring the arc in the center. You can also try rotating the lamp...it is possible the electrodes are slightly off center and causing the arc not to be centered.

Now if the picture, sans credits, look flicker free, then odds are it is the credits. Normally solids like the preview "green band" are things that show up flickers more if it is lamp related.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: