Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS systems - info needed for newbie

Author Topic: DTS systems - info needed for newbie
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2007 05:01 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I need a kind of brief 'DTS For Dummies' run-down.

Not being in the industry (I'm a home enthusiast), I would like to know what gear you need to interface a DTS reader/decoder with an existing sound system. In my case, I run a humble CP-50. Can these be hooked up together?

Also if,for instance, the digital drops out, does the decoder automatically switch the processor back to analogue sound?

Sorry these are such basic questions!!

|  IP: Logged

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2007 06:02 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS manuals actually go into some pretty good detail about how the processor interfaces with the various Cinema processors, like the CP50. The manuals are here on Film-Tech.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Blaine, I didn't think of looking there [Roll Eyes]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-03-2007 02:09 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, if going into a CP-50, you're gonna have to mod that DTS player down to do 4 channel output.

Get a CP-55 with the CAT-441 card mod, then one can do 6 channel DTS playback. .. be the cheapest route..

EDIT: The DTS player, when not receiving the timecode info from the film, will send a pulse to the processor to go back to default optical (analogue) sound.

[ 11-03-2007, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-03-2007 10:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, its time to lay the 50 to rest unless you're willing to settle on mono surrounds. Although it can still be modified its quite expensive to do so and its very clumsy to set up afterwords.

Mark

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2007 07:40 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have modified plenty of these. I don't really think it's that expensive. It's a bit of a pain though, but not too bad. It's worth it if you plan to keep the CP50. You can actually have 5 channel sound. The only thing is that the sub won't run through the fader but it will work fine. If you need cards, let me know. I probably have most if not all of them. You can have them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: