Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rebiulding Christie P35-C Shutter Gearboxes

Author Topic: Rebiulding Christie P35-C Shutter Gearboxes
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2007 04:20 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried rebiulding a shutter gear box for a Christie P35C? In particular, replacing the shaft seals. I've been told that Chrisite no longer does repair/exchange on these. [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2007 04:44 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I repair them to the extent of replacing oil seals and bearings, that's about it. As far as I know you can not get the parts for these. The pulley is a standard size bored over to a 10mm shaft if I remember corretly. I had some made up for me a couple years back, but can't remember where.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-12-2007 06:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Christie still had these available but that it was a new design and they wold not rebuild the old ones any longer.....? We only have three of these still running but we were able to get a gear box for one of them a couple of years back. This is the version of the Christie I hate!

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2007 02:42 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they don't do repair/exchange any longer, just new units that are msrp'd at just over $900! I have one that has begun to leak on the pulley shaft seal and 4 more bad ones sitting in the cabinet that were left behind by Regal. I've not yet opened one up, but does any know what kind of seals and grease were used?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2007 05:49 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

Where do you get the seals?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-13-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get the seals and the bearings at any bearing distributer. I have used Super Lube in them. Any synthetic grease would work as long as it doesn't attack the saels themselves. Super Lube won't.

The biggest problem with these machines is the lack of new pulleys for them. Except for the sprocket pulleys and perhaps the motor pulley all of them are NLA. Unless you're into spending big bucks for custom pulleys the machines are basically obsolete.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2007 09:58 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankfully I replaced all the original smooth pullies a few years ago. Do you happen to know the seal sizes? I disassembled a unit completing tonight and it looks like they are a rotary shaft seal according to this website: http://www.ahpseals.com/.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-14-2007 09:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy...

I don't happen to know the seal size off hand but if you have an old gear box there tear it down and pop the seal out and take it down to your local bearing place. They'll match it up for you. Do you know how to remove and re-set the seals properly?

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2007 11:37 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Tapped 'em out with a socket and hammer last night. I'll take them tomorrow to see if they can be matched up locally.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: