Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP55 how to switch off Matrix

Author Topic: CP55 how to switch off Matrix
Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how to modify a CP55 so that it processes the analogue sound but does not pass it thru the matrix.

I need to get just left and right but with noise reduction, eq and fader control.

I can swap out the CP55 with another processsor that can give 'phanotom' center, smart mod 6, but I'd prefere to stick with the CP55 if at all possible as it's clearly a much better processor.

I'll try Dolby in the morning myself but would appreciate any help.

Regards.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-08-2007 08:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the 150 card; levels at in/out are the same. Jumper on rear plane. Lt to Left; the same on right. You will have what you want at Left & Right output. Louis

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2007 03:40 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Louis...

I'd had that suggested recently but was not too sure if that would give me everything I needed.

I appreciate your comments.

Regards.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-09-2007 04:21 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

It will work; Dion Hanson had a card made up that was connected this way between inputs and outputs that he used to demonstrate the 1930s Alan Blumlein two-channel stereo experimental tracks at his 'Fantastic Formats' lectures. There were no components on the card. I'm not sure how he got the noise reduction out, but that wouldn't apply in your case.

Is this something you need to do frequently? If so, maybe you could find an old non-working Cat. 150 somewhere, cut the tracks to the circuitry and solder on some jumpers where required, so all you have to do is swap the cards. This would obviously work in any model of processor that uses a Cat. 150.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-09-2007 07:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the Cat 115 will do this too (came with each and every CP50)...also the Cat 110L should work. Now if you want to keep the surrounds and subs...there is a mod that will accomplish that too.

Steve

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2007 08:26 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've spoken to Dolby this morning and they are going to get back to me with any info they can find.

Louis I've re read your comments again and it's not what I originally thought. Can you give me any further info, pinouts etc as it sounds like it may well do exactly what I need.

This is for a multi use venue, the cinema operation being secondary. The problem is that the in house system is off limits apart from the left/right input. They are running the output from the cp55 bridged so it's mono effectivly.

Ironically right beside the trusty Westar, with magnarc conversion, is a state of the art special venue DP75e 70mm setup with sound system to match. All things considered the westar performs very well.

Given the restrictions of the venue and its in house equipment and politics, the intention is to get the best out of whats available while working around the limitations.

Thanks again for all comments so far.

Regards.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2007 04:42 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken McFall
Ironically right beside the trusty Westar, with magnarc conversion, is a state of the art special venue DP75e 70mm setup with sound system to match. All things considered the westar performs very well.
Ken: for the sake of the Cinema Operator not spending money for a Electrosonic Engineer to connect this is just plain stupid!, why do you need to bodge this when the job can be completed correctly as it should have been when the equipment was first installed!.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2007 08:00 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ben, you know the situation as well as I do and the cash just ain't there. It's not a bodge as such just a work around to get the best out of whats there.

I've done the mod and a full a & b chain and the difference is DRAMATIC to say the least. Yes it's phanton center but it's better than the mono it was there before and is a step in the right direction. True center channel will follow but it's a step by step process with the building owners. The rest will follow in time.

I've also up rated the the power supply breaker and the lamp can now run at it's full load. The picture is very pleasing to with the extra light now available.

Thanks to Louis for being the first to come up with the mod.
It's a five minute job and is totally tranmsparent in use. Two wire jumpers and remove the cat 150 and it's done.

Thanks also to the others who emailed me with suggestions. I will reply to them shortly.

Maybe chat later Ben.

Regards.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2007 12:52 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken McFall
I've also up rated the the power supply breaker and the lamp can now run at it's full load. The picture is very pleasing to with the extra light now available.
I guess now they have a new Xenon and a Spare Lamp?, as the one installed was used (no Hour record etc) and the Arc (conversation)is the famous "Castrie" job, just have a look inside [Eek!] .

The sound was simply wired from the Stereo cell direct into the Audio Switcher and they had no sound (I wonder why) and the CP55 was only there by chance and was wired in on a tempory arrangement until agreement could be made to install the 35mm sound proper, but that was two years ago.

For these operators to say they have no money, when they buy old worn out (rusty) Projection equipment at well over what is was valued and having to spend more money to have it repaired is just a joke in a venue that has a fantasic curve screen and High Class 70mm Projection and A/V Audio.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2007 11:26 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be fair to the guy Ben, it's not his venue. He has always to take second place to any events being hosted by the venue. Therefore it is not simply a matter of spending quite large sums of money as he could so easily not get the use out of the investment.

The sound install was possibly the worst I've ever seen with a terminal strip joining signal cable etc. There was even a crocodille clip attacheing the gound of the projector to the screen of the cell wiring. Just because something has not had vast sums of money thrown at it does not mean it can't be done correctly in the first place.

I will be further upgrading his cp55 with an sra5 adaptor when I get it from his other cinema. The sr cat222 card that was fitted did not work as the required mod was not done. The cost of the mod to the cp55 is nothing yet no one else could be bothered to do it!

I will be using the sr cat222 in his cp65 at his other cinema and fitting the sra5 instead. That way he get's the most out of the equipment he already has and upgrades two site at the same time.

None of this work will be a 'Bodge', unlike most of what had been done in the past.

As for the projector there is no rust on it at all that I can see. In fact it's quite a nice clean looking projector. The magnarc conversion is an original morganite conversion and does it's job. Some of the chrome finishing is tarnished but I've seen worse in many other places.

I can't knock the guy for being cautiouse given his situation. However his business is growing and no longer making large losses.
I've always found him willing to spend if he is given fair and honest advice which can show a benefit rather than a comsmetic improvement. He has done everything I've asked of him and will do more in the coming months.

As for what he paid for the equipment in the first place.... as you know here are a lot of sharks in this business and he got bitten. I know of others that would do exactly the same given the chance.

This guy runs his other cinema personally, doing eveything he needs to make a living. He's prepared to work seven days a week if needed and seldom takes time off. He's never gonna be rich but he will make a living..... Tell me he's wrong?

Regards.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: