Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS CSS system

Author Topic: DTS CSS system
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-07-2007 05:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a rumoured that DTS is no longer going to make the closed captioning disks for CSS systems
Has anyone heard anything about any plans to drop support for the system

[ 10-08-2007, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Gordon McLeod ]

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-08-2007 08:04 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strike another blow for DTS. Do these people have a death-wish?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-08-2007 08:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't heard that but I can find out. I also have not heard any plans for DTS to do any D-Cinema roll out. They don't have a server in development nor a projector. Their digital foray according to what I listened to at last Showworst was nothing more than digital encoding of features which thay have been doing and pre-show material distribution. Since the XD-10 is also capable of HD playback with the addition one one board the latter makes sense.

While the CSS certainly works I think its sucess has been dismal. Just one unit here in SLC and a very Heinz 57 population.
I also doubt that they will be able to force the studios to produce prints with subtitles....

Mark

Mark

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2007 10:03 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't DTS sell off their Cinema Division?

I had heard that they did - or are in the process. Doesn't that mean it's all up in the air?

I have two DTS-CSS units here at my location. If there is any bumps in the road - it could be disasterous. I have a Deaf School less than 5 miles from here.

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2007 02:41 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen, I can assure you I certainly do not have a death wish, but I do wish to set the record straight, DTS is not abandoning CSS or Access disc distribution, currently DTS provides and continues to provide over 800 content discs per week to screens around the world. I can not comment on a report from Cineplex Odeon to the Ontario Government since I have not seen this report; however DTS continues to send CSS Access discs to Canada and has not been blocked from distributing discs.
DTS has successfully worked with major studios demonstrating our current CSS system can be adapted for use with Digital Cinema, so it should be possible for Cineplex Odon to work with the studios to keep them in compliance.
DTS does not have or currently have plans to build a D-Cinema projector, however we do have a Digital Cinema Server. For those of you attending ShoEast I encourage you to visit the DTS booth and see it along with the latest from DTS.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS will continue to provide Access discs for the CSS and Rear Window programs for as long as the studios commit their product to these systems. While in the long term digital cinema playback will eliminate the need for the existing CSS (open caption) playback system, for the foreseeable future there continues to be a need for the technology to be able to provide captioning and audio description for film-based presentations. DTS is committed to providing that content and is also working with the studios and content providers to ensure that existing DTS Access equipment in the field can be used in conjunction with d-cinema as long as necessary.

In addition, DTS is moving forward and has released a range of products for digital cinema playback and content management. Please check out our FilmStore line of products at our web site at http://www.dts.com

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2007 09:43 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
Good to hear from you. It's been a long time. A bit off this topic and I hope you could reply in the other thread about the DTS disk issue. If you know, why is it such a problem getting the disks for the movies? The asnswers I keep getting from DTS are not very good. If you look at the other thread, you will see that this is a very big issue.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: