Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » OSRAM XL xenon warranties?

Author Topic: OSRAM XL xenon warranties?
Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2007 12:36 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OSRAM has started to ship us "xtreme life" bulbs which are apparently replacing their normal line. Specifically, I just installed an OSRAM XBO 4000W/HS XL and I was unable to determine from the warranty card how many hours this bulb is warrantied to run.

Does anyone know the warranty hours for this "XL" line of bulbs?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-06-2007 05:00 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The warranty card doesn't list the number of warranteed hours? That sure seems busted.
I don't know, but the older Osram catalogs specced the 4000 W/HS (pn 69254) with a service life of 1000 hours.

Osram's catalog (at http://ecom.mysylvania.com/) now lists that lamp with a service life of 1500 hours, but a warrantee of 1000 hours.

Oftentimes you can find different information at osram.com and sylvania.com, but neither of them seems to have the full story.

catalog.myosram.com lists both XBO 4000W/HS OFR VS1 and XBO 4000W/HS XL OFR VS1, but doesn't actually list any useful information...

--jhawk

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-08-2007 02:44 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend in NOT getting those XL bulbs since they are not as good as quality as the regular Osrams.

I heard that Osram has changed their product status to where they're meeting the demand requirements for ultimate light output for a cost of duration..(i.e. the "LTI syndrome") since large circuits are more concerned on presentation than duration.

Thus Osram is meeting these demands of a lesser duration bulb for the exchange of light output - which are not any good for the circuits who rely on duration of bulb life.

If you want the ultimate bulb, head on over to Christie and as for the "CDXL" series of bulbs - a shorter arc gapped bulbs compared to their standard "CXL" bulbs.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-08-2007 11:08 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "XL" is a superior Osram bulb, recognizing their good luck with "extended life." The regular Osram bulbs will (eventually) go away when the XL covers the full line. (How can a longer life bul;b be bad??)

Note: Only on Osram; the warranty life is the point at which 20% of the light is lost. Continuous improvements allow longer warranty. I believe other warranties are not related to light output, but are determined by competitive reasons. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-08-2007 12:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
I believe other warranties are not related to light output, but are determined by competitive reasons. Louis

Yea, because Christie is selling way more lamps than they are and they last ALOT longer before you reach that 20% light reduction point. Also Christie has had the XL in their lamp designation(CXL....20...30 and so on) longer than I've been in this buisness!! So Osram had to do something to draw attention. The worst thing that ever happened to Osram was Sylvania. So far in 28 years I have yet to be impressed by anything out of Osram. They are just ok lamps in my book.

Mark

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I moved from Christie to OSRAM because I can usually get a better picture for longer out of an OSRAM. I had a 2kw OSRAM go past 10,000 hours in one house and it was the brightest lamp in the complex when an unhappy supervisor made me remove it because it was "old."

I asked the original question because my company has a policy of removing lapms once they get to 150% warranty hours no matter what they look like and I wanted to know if I needed to adjust my spreadsheet now that we're getting these "XL" bulbs.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-11-2007 09:06 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XL means "extended life." I don't think there is any set answer. Each bulb is an individual. Very long life can be good .....or bad. Remember YOU assume the cost of the reflector even when you are 1 hour over warranty.

My opinion is that both Christie and Osram are worthy bulbs. In general all others share a common trait: short, unreliable life. Even they, occasionally, make a good bulb or two. The 2 I mentioned have a history of excellence. Some of the blame/credit belongs to the rectifier manufacturer and the amount of cooling involved. Some equipment/bulb combinations don't matter while others are not very workable. Beware if you are running a switcher power supply. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2007 03:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thus, I had a 2500XBO die on me with only 1475 hrs on it - just plain die. No hints whatsoever of any sort of failure-physical or electrical evidence of any failure points. It knocked the rectifier into a lockout mode with the "ignition" LED displaying..prob due from numerous attempts of ignition and then just locked up.

At least Christies, when they get age, they get a little grumpy on striking, but they will ignite and light up-not the prettiest light, but will ignite.

Thus, why do OSRAMS have this sort of failure, I wonder? For all of the Osrams that I've used in the past, it seems that they love to die this way..and they will die when they want to - even new out of the box with 2 hrs on them.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-12-2007 09:47 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did the electrodes look like?
Did you ask Osram? They should be able to tell you.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: