Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lens Repair

Author Topic: Lens Repair
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2007 11:58 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for suggestions on a reputable company to repair some lenses (loose elements and cross-threaded threads).

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-04-2007 04:14 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, what you do is contact your supplier on how to return lenses for repair/conditioning and you'll be sending your lenses to that supplier.

Then, that supplier will send the lenses to this repair company (in So. California..) for repair and then will send the lenses back to the supplier since this lens repair service will not deal directly with the customer - only through suppliers.

Good luck on your inquiry.. - Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-04-2007 07:56 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Century Optics is willing to work on any lens. However; if parts are needed (and not available) such as pre 1977 lens and ISCO lenses, repair will be impossible.

Also, it is possible that cost-of-repair may exceed the value of some old lenses even if no parts are needed. They will always give your dealer an estimate first.

Century is owned by Schneider. I had them realign a large number of ISCO anamorphics, stealing parts where necessary and am quite happy with the result. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2007 08:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have three options at CLACO... I do alot of the simple types of repairs having previously worked as an optical tech for Canon USA. We also use Century for some stuff... anamorphics and cracked lens elements and we have a local guy that is an optical tech at Hill AFB that also does some repairs for us... mainly if someone wants an older lens repaired that may need re-cementing of elements or even re-coating of an element.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark,

What I have is a Isco Ultra Star HD Scope Attachment and its 125mm Isco Ultra MC backup lens. It appears that the extremely small flat head set screw on the scope attachment that locks down the male-to-male threaded adapter wasn't "set" tight enough AND the backup lens was also cross-treaded, so when I went unscrew the two both sets of threads were subsequently ruined. In addition, the scope attachment has something rattling inside (loose element?). My initial reason for removing the lens was to figure out why the top few feet of the image was/is out of focus (especially noticable on the scrolling credits of "The Kingdom).

My hope is that the threads can be re-tapped on the lenses and just replace the adapter and figure out what is rattling. There are signs that back end of the backup lens has been knocked into the non-closed gate door of the projector (Christie P-35C). With all that said, does this seem like something that can be done or should I just expect to replace the two?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-05-2007 07:12 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since those are later lanese I would send them in. I'd bet that tney can be repaired. Those screws on your ISCO and many others have always been a problem. ISCO's have the best optical design by far but the worst mechanical aspects of any lenses made!!

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2007 08:11 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Sent these in for repair. They were able to repair the anamorphic, but the backup lens was a lost cause. After making just a couple of calls today just in time before most places closed up for day I wasn't able to find any used 125mm Ultra MC's, but I did find a new Weststar 125mm $350. I'm only familiar with Isco and Schnieder lenses. Is Weststar a quality brand and is that a decent price? Or should I keep looking?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-07-2007 08:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Westar is basically a re-branded lens... probably a Sankor(Sikkor)... or more aptly put just a coke bottle. Look for something better. Try a WTB ad on F-T for instance.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2007 09:06 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark. Thats what I was thinking.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-08-2007 07:16 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the Westar lens is black then it is an air spaced Chinese lens which is better than an average Sankor.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-08-2007 08:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An even better reason NOT to buy it! Look for something on a par with your anamorphic to get the most out of the pair.

MArk

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-08-2007 09:51 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other Chinese lenses available from two sources in the USA are more old fashioned cemented element contruction. I prefer to match anamorphic to prime from the same manufacturer.

Watch out, Rick Hamilton might show up to haunt you [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: