Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Quality alternative to Blue Star lenses? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Quality alternative to Blue Star lenses?
Peter Amies
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2007 01:57 AM      Profile for Peter Amies   Email Peter Amies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone!

I'm in a bit of a bind, and could do with some assistance shopping for a new scope lens. I have the budget to replace an existing scope lens due to a screen size adjustment, and am having trouble finding the perfect lens.

Currently we have an 85mm integrated Isco Ultra-Star HD Plus (red) lens. I need to replace this with a 95mm focal length, and at the same time I'm hoping to improve the corner to corner focus issue we've always had with the current unit.

So I've looked at:
  • 95mm integrated Ultra-Star HD Plus (easy swap for the current lens, but doesn't solve the focus issue)
  • 95mm Ultra-Star HD Plus prime / Ultra-Star HD CS attachment (would the separate component system improve focus at all?)
  • 95mm Ultra-Star HD Plus prime with Blue-Star CS attachment
I love the Blue-Star attachment (as I know a lot of you do) and a side-by-side comparison with the integrated red lens shows a MASSIVE improvement in focus. Problem is, the sheer size and weight of the Blue lens scares me! It's mounted in an FP-30EQ with a 3 lens turret, and with the Blue attachment (we've borrowed a sample for testing) you can hear the motor on the turret really having to work hard to move the lens.
Does anyone know of a lens combo that could give me the image quality of the Red / Blue set, without the massive size and weight? Are the Blue-Star integrated anamorphics any smaller, and has anyone ever used a magnification attachment to alter the focal length (it seems crazy that they're only available in 42, 45 and 48mm lengths)? Is magnifying the integrated Blue lens even a possibility?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Peter

|  IP: Logged

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2007 01:25 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

Why not look at the Schneider range of Cinelux Premiere lenses? One can purchase a combined anamorph with variable iris. I've always found these to give extremely good focus.

Regards

David

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-01-2007 02:14 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the ISCO "red" lens inherently incapable of uniform focus? Or is it just difficult to set up correctly? I'm asking because the new Regal 15 here uses those lenses and I've noticed the same non-uniformity of focus across the entire screen. (Although where it *is* in perfect focus, it's very sharp.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-01-2007 02:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that the RED ISCO lenses are among the best available.

Mark

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2007 05:01 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um unless the lens has been dropped, or is heat damaged ect, you really should be able to get a great image out of it. Perhaps something else is at fault? I have found in the past that xenon/ mirror alignment can be a big factor with scope focus.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-01-2007 05:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Those ISCO red lenses suck. They kill the contrast just to pass more light! Anyone who thinks they are better than the Schneider Premiere lenses should have their eyes checked. (For that matter, regular Schneider lenses are better too.)

Peter Amies
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2007 06:20 PM      Profile for Peter Amies   Email Peter Amies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always loved the Red Isco lenses, but from my experience, they aren't the best performers when it comes to even focus. I've seen the same thing across multiple lenses, on multiple screens, so I'm certain it's an inherent part of the lens design. It's also something a number of people on this forum have mentioned on a number of occasions. Anyone know if there would be a noticeable difference between the Red integrated scope and separate Red prime / attachment combo?

The Blue-star lenses (in comparison) have astounding geometry and focus (which, again, a huge number of you have mentioned). But they're just SO chunky! A little too much in a triple barrel turret.

Brad, how have you found the Schneider Premiere compared to the Isco Blue? And if the variable iris isn't an issue for me, would I ever notice the difference between the Premiere and standard ES series of lenses? Beyond that, can an anamorphic attachment be coupled with the Schneider Variable Primes?

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2007 08:16 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter

I may be able to bring a Schneider ES Cinelux integrated anamorphic lens for you to check out. It is unfortunately 82.5mm, so won't make your image smaller as you seem to be wanting to do, but as it's close to the 85mm you're using now it may give a reasonable indicative example of performance.

The lens is not brand new, but wasn't used for more than a couple of years before it was replaced (ironically in this case) by an Isco lens...

I'm not sure of the rules for posting contact information, but I'll check my registered details to ensure they're up to date and hopefully you can contact me via those if you want to.

Cheers,
Ian

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-01-2007 11:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Brad...I've done the shootout on Schneider Premier vs the ISCO RED lenses...on a target for target basis, the ISCO resolved as much or more line pairs in each target. The Schneider needed to have it iris adjusted to beyond f/2.0 before it had the same resolution but a substantial decrease in overall light level. The ISCO also out performed the Schneider in chromatic abberations too. This was all done with a Schneider representative present using identical focal length lenses on the same projector/same screen...only the lens was changed and a USL light meter checking the light levels as the lenses were adjusted or changed. I do beieve the Schneider had a greater contrast (it wasn't measured...sorry) but at the expense of all other criteria. Both SMPTE and Schnedier targets were run too.

The Schneider lens is also more critical about being dead square to the aperture than ISCO.

I think one of the reasons people think the Schneider lens resolves so much is their high-contrast but in fact they are resolving less detail but instead have a sharp light/dark transition...to which detail gets lost.

I suppose on one of my future tests...it would be good to measure the contrast ratio of the two otherwise identical lenses.

One last thing...when evaluating lenses and resolution... believe it or not, lamphouse alignment is critical. What you are really focusing is light with the lens and if the light is distorted coming out of the lamphouse (bad reflector or alignment) you will never achieve the maximum results with ANY lens.

As to the anamorphics. ISCO integrated anamorphic is nothing more than the same 4-element compact anamorphic they have been using for decades...even if coupled to a red prime lens.

There is no substitute for the Blue-Star anamorphic...It resolves the most, has the least amount of distortion too. I use it almost exclusively.

For those times when only a compact anamorphic will do, I strongly recommend the Schneider ES anamorphic. It too is only a 4-element job but I think it does quiet well with shorter prime lenses. Unlike ISCO, the ES anamorphic is just an attachment that can be used with most any prime lens. I've tested it down to 28mm for use with 16mm film too. It is one of Schneider's better products.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-02-2007 12:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Customers don't give a flip about numbers and target patterns. All they care about is what looks the best.

Schneider wins.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-02-2007 06:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And yet, amazingly, I never get any complaints on the ISCO lenses...and in many installations I have a mix of Schneider and ISCO (depending on focal length/format) and never has the Schneider come away as the customer preferred looking image...in fact, they both come away looking excellent.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-02-2007 08:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Customers don't give a flip about numbers and target patterns. All they care about is what looks the best.

Brad,

You're absolutely right on! Thats why they are all heading to the nearest digital installations to watch their movies...

Personally, I've found pretty much what Steve posted. Its easy to mistake extra contrast as perceived image sharpness when it actually isn't. We have quite a few red ISCO lenses on short throw/large screen installs and the images are excellent with very flat focus.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-02-2007 09:55 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had more schnieder anamorphs go soft over time than iscos

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-02-2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
You're absolutely right on! Thats why they are all heading to the nearest digital installations to watch their movies...
Despite what you think, the average person doesn't know if a place uses DLP or not.

The only way they'd know is if the people advertise it and a lot of the times they wouldn't know the difference without going to read about it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-02-2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
Despite what you think, the average person doesn't know if a place uses DLP or not.

Ha, What planet are you from...? Indeed every patron that is in his/her/its seat when the presentation starts is subjected to the fairly impressive T.I. DLP header... then at the locations that pertain the Dolby Digital Cinema Header after that... So yes... all the folks in their seats in this town very definately know that its DLP.

Also... If you knew how lousy film projection is in this part of the counrty..... [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: