Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Advanced Projection Manual (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Advanced Projection Manual
Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2007 06:28 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now available in the USA from George Eastman House.

Just received my copy today.

ISBN 2-9600296-1-5

quote:
The Advanced Projection Manual -
Presenting Classic Films in a Modern Projection Environment
By Torkell Sætervadet

$80.00
The first authoritative publication of the 21st century to address the important technical issues relating to establishing and maintaining professional standards for film projection and sound systems in archives, museums, cinematheques, repertory theaters and other institutions committed to the authentic exhibition of archivally preserved motion pictures. An essential volume for the library of every audio-visual archivist, and a valuable ready-reference for every projection booth and theatrical venue where serious attention is paid to high quality film exhibition.

Norwegian Film Institute

in70mm.com

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2007 07:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And just in time to see film out.... What on earth took them so long? The last book of this type was I believe done by SMPTE in the late 70's...

Mark

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-27-2007 09:22 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeffry L. Johnson
Just received my copy today.

We anxiously await your book report

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-28-2007 06:52 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark has a point. After all, how in touch could Torkell Sætervadet be, since he's never shown his face around here!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2007 07:18 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So anyone who doesn't post on this forum is not in touch with this industry? Wow, that's scary.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2007 10:08 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
The last book of this type was I believe done by SMPTE in the late 70's...

BKSTS published a manual in 1997 and SMPTE came out with a new manual based on the BKSTS book a couple of years later.
Bob

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-28-2007 04:29 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
So anyone who doesn't post on this forum is not in touch with this industry?
C'mon, Ken!! Everyone who is anyone... IS HERE. You know that. [Razz] You gotta admit this guy's timing indicates a lack of foresight... 'specially since classics are some of the first product going 100% Digital Cinema (as reported elsewhere on this forum). [Wink] [Razz]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-28-2007 05:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...which seems utterly stupid to me, if true. The types of places that have installed [dlp] aren't likely to be showing repertory programming, and the DCI spec is pretty wanting when it comes to older films (no support for variable frame rates, no native support for Academy-ratio films, etc., etc.). Never mind that the cost savings won't be realized on small print runs.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2007 03:40 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i tried to buy that book a while ago... no answer to my email to norway. now i'll try eastman.

there's a copy in the pacific film archive library that i perused briefly. the information in it was good, though there were some omissions. i didn't find any reference to filmguard.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-29-2007 05:59 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...which seems utterly stupid to me, if true. The types of places that have installed aren't likely to be showing repertory programming,
...stupid and very, VERY sad. Not to worry, Scott studios are loath to strike new prints of all but the very top pop titles. So if they won't bite the bullet and spend a couple of grand to strike a new print, you KNOW beyond any reasonable doubt that they will never spend the much higher price tag to author a DCI compliant virtual print for an arthouse, even if per the very unlikely chance they were to actually have a Christie or Barco DCI compliant projector.

And the most sad part of all is that what I see happening is that when film prints of the classics just aren't available any longer because they have just been worn out and not replaced, and the art house just can't spring for a DCI compliant projector, they will resort to a much cheaper, high def/top-of-the-line very UN-DCI compliant preshow variety projector.

Bottom line -- future generations may get to see our film heritage only as good as a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc can reproduce.

I see this happening now. As hard as I try to fight them, when I can't book a 35mm print -- which now happens allot more often that it used to -- the Professors (who should know better) insist with increasing aggressivness, that I "just rent the DVD and show it with the video projector." It gets harder and harder to convince them that they are wrong when they say that running a video is better than the students not seeing it at all. Not necessarily, Professori.

I can give you an example of it happening right now -- the English Department comes to us and wants us to run THE SEARCHERS and TOTAL RECALL for all incoming freshmen at Brooklyn College (why, I don't know....none of my business). Well, forget about THE SEARCHERS....no prints, period. TOTAL RECALL you would think would be a piece of cake. Seems MGM has done some major reorganization and no one over there seems to know where anything is. The Swank booker says he's been trying for a month to get them to find a print; no luck.

So even if we had a DCI compliant projector, what studio is going to get me a hard drive with a DCI-compliant THE SEARCHERS in it? And ask Swank which orgs book licenses to show DVDs? It's not just movie night in the dorm -- even the art houses and museums are booking video. And that will happen more and more often as the libraries inventories slowly deteriorate into oblivion.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-29-2007 06:37 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
even if per the very unlikely chance they were to actually have a Christie or Barco DCI compliant projector
...or an NEC. [Wink]

FWIW, I know of at least one circuit that is running summer kid's shows on HD OSA projectors. I was actually quite surprised at the quality of such a (physically) small projector. The machines fit inside the operator's porthole.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-29-2007 08:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humm... It seems to me that a whole bunch of "classics" have been playing circuits in England and Scotland.... in D-Cinema or was Stephen Furley pulling our leg? I also believe that DTS did the mastering on those D-Cinema transfers.... I remember them mentioning it at the Show Worst breakfast last year...

Tim... On the NEC thing its interesting to note that Christie shipped twice as many film projectors as did Strong last year... looks to be the same this year... Ditto on the Christie digital projectors except Chsistie shipped about 5 times as many CP-2000's as all NEC's shipped by Strong. I wonder how long Strong will last???

Mark

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2007 12:55 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

that's right we ran the British Cinema Classics on our Christie CP2000 over August ,early September.
I'll get the list together on Monday.

They looked great I have to say. Especially enjoyed seeing The Dambusters and Billy Liar again on the big screen.

Torkell is a real enthusaist and a regular attendee at our Widescreen Weekend here in Bradford.

He was also a SDDS engineer , but before you can say it Mark, no one's perfect [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-29-2007 05:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Vaughan
Especially enjoyed seeing The Dambusters and Billy Liar again on the big screen.

One of my favorite war period films!!!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-29-2007 08:05 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
its interesting to note that Christie shipped twice as many film projectors as did Strong last year
Not from where I stand. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: