Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Attached / Enclosed Trailer programming (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Attached / Enclosed Trailer programming
Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am somewhat confused by the choices the studios are making with regards to Enclosed and Attached trailers. Most of the time, there is an attached from the same studio along with a loose trailer also from that studio (or one of their other entities).

What is troubling me are the two most recent Dane Cook films "Employee of the Month" and "Good Luck Chuck". Both of these pictures are (more or less) romantic comedies. "Employee" came with "Saw III" attached and "Bug" enclosed and "Chuck" came with "Saw IV" attached and "Midnight Meat Market" enclosed. Both prints included notes from the studio essentially demanding both trailers be played on all prints received.

I'll agree that there may be a cross-over audience (Adult Male 18-35) between these romantic comedy (they get dragged to these by their significant other), so some advertising makes sense. But when I program trailers, I try not to completely program against type. Horror for horror, Drama for drama, comedy for comedy, family films/animated stuff together and so on.

In these cases, is it simply because Lionsgate doesn't have any other Romantic Comedies in the pipeline and they're simply promoting what they've got - or is it really a marketing decision to target the movie goer that they know is in the Romantic Comedy, but wishes they were at the horror film.

Blaine

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2007 01:01 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are enclosing what they have. 3:10 to Yuma had Good Luck Chuck and Saw 4. Yes, a romantic comedy with a western...
If the trailers are way too off base with the feature, our company's "trailer list coordinator" will tell us not to play them.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-21-2007 02:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their thought is probably: The chick flick will draw a lot of couples, let's promote the horror flick to the guys.

I don't think you're contractually bound to run the attached trailer, although there have been exceptions to that. (Pixar movies)

Has anyone ever "gotten in trouble" for not running an attached trailer?

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2007 02:28 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were not running the attached on RE 3. Its 30 days of night, instead we put Feel the Noise on in its place. Now if you ask me 30 days of night is the no nonsense choice to program with RE. But its not a Sony film, Feel the Noise is. Go figure.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-21-2007 02:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But its [30 Days...] not a Sony film, Feel the Noise is. Go figure.
Last i checked '30 Days...' WAS from Sony.

-Aaron

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-21-2007 02:58 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.sonypictures.com/movies/30daysofnight/

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2007 02:59 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about 'trouble'. The paper in the cans indicated that the studio would be sending checkers to verify that trailer placement was done. I don't know that a Lionsgate checker has ever come to our theater.

Perhaps down the line, they may not offer us a future title becuase of issues with trailer programming. I know that we've had some trailer checkers from the Mouseketeer Group complain to our booker/GM that we're not programming enough of their trailers.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2007 03:17 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to sound dumb, but what exactly is the difference between 'attached' and 'enclosed' trailers? I assume that attached trailers are actually spliced onto the beginning of the first movie reel when the theater gets it, whereas enclosed trailers are separate mini-reels in the cans.

Regarding running an attached trailer, in the UK the film handler will often have to break the attached trailer away from the actual movie to get other bits of film in. Some cinemas have a 'feature presentation' snipe that goes between the final trailer and the actual movie, not to mention the 'gold spot' advert that's shown just before the BBFC card.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-21-2007 03:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attached trailers are as described above. They are usually printed as part of the first reel, but are sometimes spliced in by hand (usually quite badly and often out of frame). Some theatres remove them entirely and others may insert a "feature presentation" tag or other trailers between the attached trailer and the start of the feature.

Enclosed trailers are simply shipped in the can with the print. In the US, most trailers are wound on flimsy 1" cores (occasionally they will come on 2" or 3" cores) and held together with a sticky label that usually has the title of the film being advertised, the rating of the trailer (almost always "G"), the rating of the film, and the running time of the trailer.

Many major releases come with as many as 7-8 (!) enclosed trailers, plus one or two attached trailers. Smaller releases are often trailer-less.

The theory behind all of this is that trailers that are shipped with a print are more likely to be shown than trailers that are delivered to the theatre separately. I have no idea if this is true in practice, but I do consider attached trailers to be a huge waste of time.

Usually, these trailers (both attached and enclosed) are retained by the theatres and not returned with the prints.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-21-2007 03:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever noticed that it seems every time an attached trailer for a movie scheduled to open in 1 or 2 weeks arrives with lab damage on it and is unplayable?

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2007 04:03 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're thrilled to simply get a print with all good reels. We have a print of "Good Luck Chuck" that has a factory splice mid-frame about 50' before the end of the reel. While that's not uncommon, every bit of film after the factory splice is clear. Yes, 50 feet of clear 35mm film to finish out the reel.

Shockingly, Technicolor was able to get us a replacement reel in less than 3 hours.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-21-2007 05:11 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you really want to know why a trailer is requested-to-be-programmed, just call the relevant studio's Exhibitor Relations / in-theatre-marketting people. They'll be happy to talk to you and I'm sure it's easy to find the person who makes those decisions for a given studio.

One clarificatory point -- studios often make deals to trade attached/enclosed trailer slots, which is why the enclosed (or even sometimes the attached!) trailer may not match the studio of the feature. And certainly they do recognize that attached trailers are played with the print with higher probability than any given enclosed trailer.

In first-run, I'm under the impression that requirements to play trailers are rarely dictated by studio master licensing agreements, but they may be dictated by riders or booking agreements, or most commonly by agreements between theatre chains and studios. If you wonder whether you're required, certainly you should check with your buyer/booker...

--jhawk

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2007 07:27 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most contracts require you to play anything that comes attached. Shorts or trailers.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-21-2007 08:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm a discount house, I do trailer programming that will match the theme of the feature. Thus, a Disney or family fare - family based trailers. Adult themed films receives the what those movies deserve.

Saw one 6plex when "Spidey 3' had opened up and had "Good Luck Chuck' trailer contained in the trailer pak (trailer might as well been a red band with the content contained in it..) and I went and told the mgr, who assembled the print, that a recommendation to remove that questionable trailer from that feature since that would really draw the complaints from the families that loves to attend these action movies. Mgr, never gave me reason why it was added, just felt like adding the trailer to that feature's trailer pak.

...talk about goons for mgrs... [Roll Eyes] .. don't think past the end of their nose.

-Monte

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 09-21-2007 09:05 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in first run competitive zones you can get in trouble for not running the attached trailer. But, there are things you can do if the attached trailer is either not appropriate or not something your theatre will be playing. Most studios will accept a substitution of a trailer of another film from their company rather than the attached trailer if you make a request through either Exhibitor Relations or your booker does it through the Sales folks. This is especially important with some companies like Warners and Fox. Case in point, this week Focus is allowing substitutions of Reservation Road trailers on Eastern Promises in theatres where playing the attached trailer, Lust Caution, isn't practical due to the NC-17 rating of Lust, Caution. And Focus is sending out trailer checkers. We got checked today on the first matinee. In our case we are running Lust Caution because we are booked to play the film. In another instance, Sunshine from Fox Searchlight, we weren't booked to play Death Sentence, so we obtained approval to substitute The Savages, another Fox Searchlight title. Why they attached Death Sentence to Sunshine was a weird one, since the latter was big Fox and definitely not a specialty film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: