Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Reader Alignment Software

Author Topic: Dolby Reader Alignment Software
Leonardo Miceli
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2007 01:28 AM      Profile for Leonardo Miceli   Email Leonardo Miceli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, i wish to know what points i most consider to know if my reader (dstr20) is failing or the film is damaged, using the dolby reader alignment software. my dolby processor is a cp650

|  IP: Logged

Oliver Pasch
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2007 01:58 AM      Profile for Oliver Pasch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leonardo, to give it a start, try using a loop of appropriate test-film, such as Dolby Cat. 69T. If your readerhead plays this properly, it's likely that your equipment is fine and problems are due to the film. If not, you might want to call your tech-support as alignment needs somewhat of expertise.

Good luck.

O.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2007 08:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DSTR-20 has a nifty built in way to tell if the LED and video levels are good and that is if the indicator LED turns green... If it stays red then either the LED current needs increasing or the LED needs replacement. This LED is a field replacable assembly that can literally be installed in 30 seconds but its still advisable to have a tech with a scope and laptop set the LED current level for you so you get the maximum life span out of the LED. He can also easily verify fous, azimuth, and lateral position while he is at it.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-19-2007 10:34 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Dolby reader alignment software" DRAS-10 should never be used for initial set up. It is quite useful for final azimuth, etc. The reason is that time delay and error correction occur before your sampling point. Always follow the instructions that require a dual trace scope. You will not be mis lead this way. Louis

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-20-2007 05:44 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the BACP equipment! Finest available, IMHO. [thumbsup]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-20-2007 10:59 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, much appreciated, your check is in the post.

For once I find myself agreeing completely with Louis.

I had a recent call from a tech who was trying to set up a new CCD/lens assembly with DRAS only and was getting all sorts of conflicting data. He seemed experienced but it soon came out he had no knowledge of focus and azimuth as it pertains to SR.D. The reader lens was perhaps 1/4 inch out of focus. He was trying to do it strictly by the numbers.

DRAS software has to have valid data to work, ie, a reader that is working in some fashion.

Leonardo Miceli
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2007 04:02 PM      Profile for Leonardo Miceli   Email Leonardo Miceli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i used the program because there was no digital reading in the cp650, i was checking the data that gave me de pc with de dolby alignment, in some they marked 0 corners found and 0.0 to 1 error rating, in others the pc marked error rating 2 to 3 and the dolby processor 7-8. is this possible? i have the reading files in my pc, somebody can explain it to me.

thanks for your help

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-20-2007 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
I had a recent call from a tech who was trying to set up a new CCD/lens assembly with DRAS only and was getting all sorts of conflicting data. He seemed experienced but it soon came out he had no knowledge of focus and azimuth as it pertains to SR.D. The reader lens was perhaps 1/4 inch out of focus. He was trying to do it strictly by the numbers.

Yes! That is our other tech out in South Dakota I believe He had by some means never set up any SRD systems in his filmic life. The location he was at had bought a used system from an unscrouplous dealer in the Denver area and apparently the projectionist had hooked it all up but had accidentally unhooked the video cable while the system was turned on and this blew the CCD. He installed a new CCD not expecting the focus to be way out but it was. Turns out the DRAS instructions he had just read told him to tweek one way while it is actually the other way. Of course on a wide bandwidth scope you can "see" when its in focus.

The cost of inexperience.... priceless... the cost of Dolby Class for the inexperienced.... well worth the bucks...

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: