Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sightlines, Floor to Eye Level

Author Topic: Sightlines, Floor to Eye Level
Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2007 10:23 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a standard measurement from the floor to the eye level of a seated patron when calculating sightlines i.e. is this measurement based on a 5'10" individual in a seated position, or is it a standard height allowance of say 1100mm?

|  IP: Logged

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2007 08:58 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the latest copy of Architectural Graphic Standards, a copy of which I have here on my desk, the sightline measurement of a seated adult is 44 inches (3'-8") above the floor.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-17-2007 01:12 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used between 3 foot 8 inch to 9 inch in figuring sightlines. You also consider other factors such as high back chairs in the seating plan, so it would be good to get chair specs from the vendor. Every job we ran sightline checks prior to seat delivery and front end work and it was not unusal to find problems from design to built.....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-17-2007 01:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, SMPTE EG-18 had the figures...and they reference documents by Dreyfus (The Measure of man, passim, Whitney Library of Design, New York, 1960) and Jones (Seating in the Lecture Theater... pp. 110-116, Modern Lecture Theaters. London: Oriel Press Ltd., 1966)

In any event, the listed eye height of the average Female is 28.8", the top of the average seated female head is 32.9". For the males it is 31.5" to the eye and 36" to the top of head.

I try to protect for the average female looking over the average male head.

SG

Benjamin John Doman
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2007 01:58 PM      Profile for Benjamin John Doman   Email Benjamin John Doman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Slightly related - in the UK we have a '45deg' rule with some local authorities. You should not have to look up (or down) more than 45deg to the center of the picture. I only know of one site where this was enforced though.
Regards,
Ben

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2007 03:59 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another good reason to resurrect EG-18. [Wink]

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2007 04:26 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2007 02:16 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Benjamin John Doman
in the UK we have a '45deg' rule with some local authorities
Actually Ben I think you wil find that it's 35 degrees and it used to be a requirement in all cinemas .

As I recall the wording is along the lines of :

The angle subtended between the horizontal and the top of the screen measured at the level of the viewers eye should not exceed 35 degrees.

I don't remeber there being any downward or side to side limitation.

This was less stringently enforced from the early-mid 80s, certainly by the time the first multiplexes were built in the UK when the front rows of seats in some of the shoe boxes were almost within touching distance of the screen [Roll Eyes]

When we opened the IMAX Cinema here in Bradford in 1983 we had to get a waiver on this rule and were for sometime listed as a special venue on our cinema license.

Benjamin John Doman
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2007 03:52 PM      Profile for Benjamin John Doman   Email Benjamin John Doman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dick,
Maybe it's a local thing - it was definatley 45 at Warners Finchley Road when I was TM there. There were several seats we could not sell in some screens. I know there was a simular thing with the front rows of the early Cannon multi's. Or maybe it's late at night at the brain is going to mush!! [Big Grin]
Regards,
Ben

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-20-2007 04:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Benjamin John Doman
There were several seats we could not sell in some screens.
I'd have removed the seats in question altogether and used them as spares for broken ones. I mean, if it's illegal to sell a ticket to that seat location it might as well not exist.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-21-2007 07:26 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SMPTE EG-18 is a great resource for sure, but it's getting a little old. I'd add a inch or two to the heights shown since people have been getting taller (at least in North America.) CDC study

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2007 03:26 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I mentioned in an earlier thread about popular seating, I think the best way to gauge correct angles is to look at how far back the patrons choose to sit in your auditorium. In my experience, the front two rows have hardly anyone sitting there (unless it's a sell-out). It would probably be better to remove the front row of seats and just keep them as spares, as Chris said.

Once you've figured out where the least popular seats are, measure the angle to the screen from them and work around that if you're building new auditoriums [Razz]

Benjamin John Doman
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2007 01:12 PM      Profile for Benjamin John Doman   Email Benjamin John Doman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,
Totaly agree,I would go even further an not design seats that can't be sold in the first place! The council were very picky at Finchley Road, there were odd seats that they black marked. Some were at the sides, some in the middle. Since most of the shows were free seated, I don't know how you were supposed to enforce this. This was in contrast to the early Cannon multi's where one or two extra rows were put in at the front just to bump up the seat count.
Regards, Ben

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: