Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SMART MOD IV Question

Author Topic: SMART MOD IV Question
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2007 09:39 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine recently hooked up a SMART MOD IV analog Dolby processor in his home screening room. It appears to be working fine, and as best as I can tell was calibrated (Dolby levels etc) correctly. It seem that Dolby A sounds much better than Dolby SR. The SR seem a little over compressed, or more specifically seems to lack high frequecies, at least as compaired to Dolby A. Yes, I realize that we are compairing different films with different mixes, but something seems not right. The unit is using the Smart Copycat 280 SR Emulation cards.

Any suggestions or advice.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-12-2007 09:51 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The copycat 280 like the smart a type is only a 2 band noise reduction system (dolby A is 4 band)
as such it does tend to have a more compressed sound and also the high end is rolled off moreso in the SR mode

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2007 10:30 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the "official" Dolby 280 cards also 2 band, or do they sound better than the copycat cards?

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2007 11:49 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby 280s are the original SR cards from midle '80s. SR uses 4 (or more - don't remember without searching Dolby's papers) bands with sliding band, instead of fixed passband (A-type), filters. Yes They sound superb.
C

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-12-2007 03:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby-A used 4-bands. SR was/is much more complicated with a combination of fixed and sliding bands (10 if memory serves)...those with fixed bands have variable gain. Those with sliding bands have fixed gain. The combination allows the SR circuit to custom tailor the NR to the actual signal it is dealing with. To that, they add what they call "spectural skewing" to deal with the extreme highs and lows (a pre-emphasis/de-emphasis system).

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-12-2007 06:12 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience with "copycat" is they make SR sound about the same as Dolby A with Dolby A film. You fail to achieve the quality-boost we expect with real SR. Better than nothing. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-14-2007 11:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Better than nothing.
I never cared at all for the CopyCat cards and this is definately a case where nothing may actually be better.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: