Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How Dolby Digital and SDDS Works? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: How Dolby Digital and SDDS Works?
Iben Jimenez
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2007 07:54 PM      Profile for Iben Jimenez   Email Iben Jimenez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that the analog sound works by detecting the modulation of light created by the varying-width soundtrack. But how does the Dolby soundtrack works? Does the small square with the Dolby logo has some information? What about the SDDS with the green bands?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 03:38 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should be a good start...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sdds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital#Applications_of_Dolby_Digital

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 04:25 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and the dolby symbol in the middle of the square acts like a center point (target) for the reader.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 10:29 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Dolby's Digital, the four corners have significance since they serve as markers for the other information; just like a surveyor uses stakes to reference other boundaries. Louis

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-09-2007 11:02 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
and the dolby symbol in the middle of the square acts like a center point (target) for the reader.
Huh? I've never seen a Dolby logo on my oscilloscope trace... [Confused]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 11:17 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use a microscope, Tim, on the actual "square." Louis

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-09-2007 01:26 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was ribbing Monte. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2007 06:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
I get the DD insignia on my scopes display... Tektronix 465B.... I don't know what scope you're using but perhaps you need a wider bandwidth scope [thumbsup] .

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-09-2007 06:49 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I did too Mark on my 465... Dunno what scope Tim is using but it's obviously not capable of aligning modern digital technology...

-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2007 07:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Phil! Thats exactly the same waveform that I see.

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 10:36 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what is the state of Sony's support of SDDS -- I seem to recall people here saying that they only have one guy doing tech support now? Are they still actually selling readers and processors? Or they doing a bye-bye like freaking Dolby and the DA20?

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2007 02:27 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Iben Jimenez
But how does the Dolby soundtrack works? Does the small square with the Dolby logo has some information?
yes
quote: Iben Jimenez
What about the SDDS with the green bands?
yes

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-10-2007 04:19 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...nice fenceline there...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-10-2007 09:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So what is the state of Sony's support of SDDS --
We couldn't get any boards for DFP-3000's and have been waiting for sprockets for same since last November. We retired the 3000's with bad boards and are about to take delivery of custom stainless steel VKF sprockets made for us by LaVezzi to keep the remaining systems going. Since we have quite a few 8 channel houses we are aiming to keep those running as long as there are tracks on the film. So back to your question... Sony's present support is nearing zero!

FWIW: Dolby still supports the DA-20 100%.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: